• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Turn based combat vs. actiion combat in RPGs.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
This is an excellent thread.

There is just something more atmospheric, intense, and methodical about turn-based combat imo. The problem with action-basted combat is that things tend to turn into a total cluster and/or button mashing after a while. I really enjoyed the last few FFs for instance, but the combat in both 13 and 15 basically requires you to mash/hold down the attack button, and occasionally opening a menu to heal/special attack.

Individual perks/gear etc. and the grinding you have to do to get them, also feel far more noticeable and/or rewarding in turn-based games as well. This then lends itself to a more personalised playing experience, as you develop your own style of play and approach etc. I remember this first struck me a little while after FF10 came out. I remember Pothas and I both got it around the same time, and both played it loads. But when going over to his house one day and checking out his save, I remember it struck me how different his setup and strategy in terms of line up, gear, buffs etc. were totally different to how I had configured my own. In some ways he was playing the game in ways I literally had never thought of, and I thought that was really cool.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
The Sphere Grid in FFX is a great system for that. Allowed for so many different setups that the possibilities were literally endless. You want Healer Kimahri? Sure.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Outside of a few long-running jrpg series and indie games it seems like turn-based combat is dying, which is a massive downer for me. As you stated action combat systems, while starting out in a way that gives player more agency moment to moment it almost always ends up in a pace where you're spamming a couple of skills and just mashing buttons in-between.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The Sphere Grid in FFX is a great system for that. Allowed for so many different setups that the possibilities were literally endless. You want Healer Kimahri? Sure.
Haha if I remember correctly there was a way that, if you farmed ability spheres from a certain area early on, you could basically break the first part of the game by having Yuna get access to all the black magic and become really OP.

The remastered version of FF12, with its ability board, is also pretty good in this regard. Speaking of which, really need to finish that.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Outside of a few long-running jrpg series and indie games it seems like turn-based combat is dying, which is a massive downer for me. As you stated action combat systems, while starting out in a way that gives player more agency moment to moment it almost always ends up in a pace where you're spamming a couple of skills and just mashing buttons in-between.
Yeah, I think the only "new" games I have played recently with turn based systems are Persona 5 and Divinity: OS 2. Both really enjoyable (though I didn't play much of the former). Actually made me think carefully about approaching battles, rather than just charging in and just bludgeoning.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Haven't played Battletech and X-COM, they look cool but I suspect they're stuffing too much nitpicking into the equipment phase.

And I know of one coming to tabletop, but that one's more of a niche cyberpunk project.

Red_Ink_Squid

Leaving aside both the explicit reference to RPGs and the decade in which the question was asked, I did prefer the Heroes of Might and Magic series and Age of Wonders to the Command and Conquer series and Age of Empires.

The former were clearly strong games because I could often beat my brother and friends. The latter were deficient because I rarely beat my brother or friends.

Uppercut

Haha if I remember correctly there was a way that, if you farmed ability spheres from a certain area early on, you could basically break the first part of the game by having Yuna get access to all the black magic and become really OP.

The remastered version of FF12, with its ability board, is also pretty good in this regard. Speaking of which, really need to finish that.
FF12 was a ****ing great instalment. Not turn-based though. Combined the best of both systems imo.

StephenZA

Is it sad that my first thought was table top role-playing?

I am very much in the Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 mold. Enjoy/-ing Pillars of Eternity as well.

For turn based enjoyed X-Com:Enemy Unknown, Still play Civ 6, and to while away a few hours I still enjoy playing the good old Master of Orion II.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Pretty sure the latest Yakuza game is turn based.

Howe_zat

The first turn-based game I ever played was a LOTR tie-in game called The Third Age on Gamecube. I loved the **** out of it even though it's so mediocre for the genre. Turn based just too good.

During the virus hiatus I've been getting to grips with Divinity: Original Sin 2, which certainly doesn't hold your hand, but I appreciate that I'm allowed to get to grips with it at my own pace. If i'd felt rushed off my feet as well as confused in my first playthrough I'd probably have never summoned the energy to bother with it again.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I really enjoyed Divinity : OS 2, though like you allude to, it really kicks your ass at times, especially early on and towards the end. How are you finding it?