• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What Made and Ruined Your 2009

andyc

What it says on the box, really.

Myself, I've had a pretty good year, a lot of fun and thankfully not all that much to put it in the ruined category.

Made my 2009
Finished first year of university, got good marks and most importantly kept my scholarship.
Had a great time at college, made some good friends and had a lot of late nights.
Been going out with a very awesome girl for just over seven months now.
Played a fair bit of sport, including a lot of indoor soccer which I feel has really helped my keeping.

Ruined my 2009
Got glandular fever halfway through my second semester, which saw me miss two or three weeks of uni, as well as having to sit on the sidelines as our college soccer team won the grand final. Couldn't drink for a few months as well, and now I'm having to get back into shape after a few months of complete inactivity.
Would file this more under last year, but February saw me come back to Australia after an amazing year in China in 2008 which I didn't want to end.
Lost the Ashes.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Made
b00bs.
Watto.
City still being sickeningly rich, winner.
Undergrad basically done, bring on Argentina and honours.

Ruined
Women having the ability to think independently.
Katman.
City still being sickeningly sucky.
Kenyon Martin.
I still suck at cricket.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Made
Working in SA and earning pounds while I do it
Awesome holidays in Namibia/Cape Town with parents
Meeting a stack of new people
Living in a couple of decent flats and moving in with best mate
Catching the Aussie test match up in Jozi

Ruined
Frustratingly slow time getting my pilot's license
Frustratingly slow time forging decent photography demand here
Girls in general have a total lack of personality/anything going for them
Lack of sporting achievements, and no cricket whatsoever

pasag

RTDAS
Made
Won a couple of uni awards.
Got accepted into honours with a scholarship.
Found a job with mates which I enjoy, have autonomy and freedom and is in line with my future career.
My PS3 - best buy ever
Getting Decemberists tickets.
Work experience at an ad agency and doing an internship at a govt dept.

Ruined
Grandmother died (last week)
Mates moving away
Losing the Ashes
Losing Fev
Watto getting out on 96. Still hurts.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Sorry to hear about your loss.. December is a cursed month to be honest, if it isn't family dieing, it's close family friends..

_Ed_

Made:
* Fantastic year at uni. Postgrad > undergrad, easily.
* Really great year in my favourite sports, particularly racing - Sea The Stars in the UK, great Triple Crown in America, Katie Lee and Wealth Princess in NZ.

Ruined:
* Girl issues
* Sister moving north for a year or so. It was an important move for her career, but I'll miss our weekly lunch.

Craig

World Traveller
Made:

* Awesome holiday this year. Loved Japan to bits and once I got over the culture shock of Vietnam, I had a great time there, including some of my finest drunken moments in both countries. Too bad I didn't have internet access. Also met a great bunch of people and I now have free accommodation in America (np that is in San Diego and Arizona), Canada (or least I know a few people there), Italy, and I'm sure I can get a place to stay at in Thailand. Met a few decent girls along the way.
* Having a great week away for some work. Sometimes it is great being in the middle of nowhere.
* Photography really taking off for me this year, managed to take a few decent photos.
* Met SoC at Burleigh.

Ruined:

* Not really getting anywhere with the girls because I'm a ****.
*Getting laid off in June.
* Missing out on a few jobs that I applied for. Hopefully that will change in 2010.
* Fullins :p

Smudge

Overall, it's been a very good year - recession or not.

Made
Hmm, well up and down work-wise, really. Lost a show, got it back then lost it again, lost some workmates, then got some more. And then gained a whole new channel, which has been a challenge, but we got there.
Turned 30 and had a great party, and a good time in Melbourne for my birthday present to myself.
Moved into a nicer flat and it's closer to work
Good bunch of people to work with, and a good social crew formed.
Became an uncle for the second time

Ruined
Things moving at glacial speed with females...
Few minor back issues, but should be able to deal with those with a little bit of commitment on my part

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Made
Moving on from the mess I was this time last year and starting to enjoy myself
Watching my twins turn from little babies to little people who talk back to me and tell me to turn the cricket off (should that be in ruined?)
The Ashes
The Ashes
The Ashes
The Ashes
The Ashes
The Ashes
The Ashes
Finished my work-related qualification, got a little extra in my payslip each month in recognition of this

Ruined
S****horpe. **** **** **** **** **** **** ****. Still bitter now.
My Sky box being on the blink. It's more ruined my day than my year but it's been happening about a month and I am fuming about it right now
chicks = trouble

James90

Made My Year
- Had my first meaningful relationship
- Won another premiership for cricket
- Celebrations following premiership
- ALP winning its fifth consecutive election in Queensland
- Celebrations following election win (except for the part where I bled on the Premier)
- Meeting lots of great people at uni
- Passing all of my courses
- Have an awesome job that pays well, fulltime until I go back to uni then two days a week after that

Ruined My Year
- My last remaining grandparent passed away
- Spoiled three relationships
- Lost elections at both UQ and QUT
- Lost contact with all of my school friends
- Didn't score a fifty all year

bryce

Made
The Ashes
The Ashes
The Ashes
The Ashes
The Ashes
The Ashes
The Ashes
^lmao

Made
Got club player of the year in my 1st season of senior rugby
My team won the final in our regions 100 over cricket comp(it's meant to be like a 2-day game in 1 day, lol)
Moved into apartment by myself
Got credit card to play poker on internet
Quit weed

Ruined
My cat died:down:
Rugby team finished last
Spend too much on credit card
Huge boil on my knob...(jks, sorry)

Last edited:

nibbs

Made
A new job paying better than the old job.
Precam- LOL
Purchased a lovely purple sweater in August

Ruined
Tearing my calf muscle 1 week out from the running of the Auckland half marathon :-(
Girlfriend turning a bit mental.
Unwanted attention of ugly co-worker

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Made
- Good job with decent pay.
- Buying my first home.
- India world number 1.
- Australia losing Ashes.

Ruined
- My experience in melbourne was tragic.
- Close mate (RIP).
- Work colleages.

King Pietersen

Made

Got a Job
Met some cool people
Got leading wicket-taker for my cricket side - met Charlotte Edwards at the awards night as a result
The Ashes
Return of Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington with their series of 'Guides To' - Brilliant stuff.
Going to see Lee Evans Live

Ruined

Failed a driving Test
Still single.

Overall, a pretty good year then =] Nice way to end the decade.

ripper868

Made:

Went solid in my job, first year out of uni etc
New experiences/people in North Queensland, would move back in a heartbeat tbh
Me and my brother getting along better
Saved some cash for travel in the near future
Moving to Brisbane next year, more work responsiblities etc...moving up in the world.
Re-connected with a great friend who i thought was gone forever after a misunderstanding 4 years ago. (resolved on Christmas eve ftr)
Ruined
Piss poor timing of meeting an awesome girl (just as leaving Townsville)
Would have loved one more year up north
Slight drought on ladies front
Ashes
One of my best mates is heavily into drugs...idiot,
Shoulder proper ****ed, need surgery.
Still an ugly ****.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Noticing a trend on the ladies front, or lack of it from most people here.. I've just driven to Cape Town and back to see a girl who combines looks and a decent personality.. Desperate times..

I personally think i have had the unluckiest year ever, and that was before the two spider bites that put me in hospital.. I've had strangers coming up to me telling me they have heard about me.. To top it all off, this chicks mother pushed me into the shallow end of their grandads pool on christmas day.. I'm ugly enough without a scar on my chin

Last edited: