• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do you have pegged for your 4 semi finalists?

Jezroy

A showery and cloudy day forecast for Manchester on Tuesday. But should be enough to get a game in.

Hope New Zealand can turn it on. Quick turnaround for India. Hope Old Trafford puts out a pitch that suits Boult/Ferg/Henry/CDG.

Agent Nationaux

No. That belongs to Imran, so we aren’t handing that back.

How about we keep the 92 title and enjoy watching the Aussies send your team back home. Let’s face it, you aren’t getting to the finals. I think that will be more fun.

Jokes aside, Pakistani fans shouldn’t be complaining. Everyone knew the rules coming in so you can’t ask for a rule change part way through the tournament to suit your situation. Happy for NZ to be in the semis, as they played more consistent cricket. Pakistan need to become professional and start selecting players on merit as opposed to nepotism (Malik).

Hopefully the changes Imran is making in our infrastructure should help things as well.
Need to correct this due to recent events. It will be far more fun watching NZ kick India out of the WC.

Victor Ian

Why I'm not sure about NRR as a tiebreaker is because I think it misses the point of a run chase. It doesn't matter if you get there in 50 overs or 10, so long as you get there. When setting a target It doesn't matter if you set 300 in 20 overs all out or 300 in the fiftieth for 1 wicket.
NRR also arbitrarily penalises match ups. As seen with Pakistan, 1 bad game can have dire consequences on the end result, but the real result is only 1 loss.
An alternative is to award washouts to the team with the best result from their previous series against each other home and away. This will make jamodi's matter and will help disease case like Australia cancelling Bangladesh's tour here. It would help make sure teams bring over all opponents and likewise tour them between WCs as well.
Yeah? Nah?

ankitj

300 all out in 20 overs is treated same as 300 in 50 overs. At least that doesn't have a negative influence on the computation.

Victor Ian

300 all out in 20 overs is treated same as 300 in 50 overs. At least that doesn't have a negative influence on the computation.
Yeah. That is what I was trying to highlight. West Indies would have been unlikely to have maintained that run rate. It was still a dire performance from Pakistan, but those blips allow teams to chase hard and quick, gaining a NRR bonus that is too large. Think of how many losses the West Indies sustained before they finally fell into negative NRR. Rules is rules so I'm not saying Pakistan should have made the finals. I'm just looking for a alternatives to NRR, if they exist. Pews posted a good idea for dls but did you see the alorythm a few posts back? Too hard to follow.

Xuhaib

I read an article where it mentioned Pakistan would have still needed a 111 run win over BD in thee final group game if they lost to windies by1 run.

Pakistan was careless with the NRR and hence paid the price. We lost to Aus in 45 overs why couldn’t sarfraz bat out the 50 with Amir/ Shaheen and reduce the losing margin from 40 to 20 runs. In the India game once Babar and Fakhar got out why no effort was made to bat out the 50 overs and try to take the score to 280-300, Babar batted for his 100 in the NZL game and a match that should have between won in 46-47 overs went down to the last over then against South Africa Pakistan allowed the Southafrican tail to do some happy slogging which reduced the winning margin from 70-80 runs to 50

With some smart cricket Pakistan could have entered the last game needing a 150-200 runs or 20-25 overs win to make the semis despite the windies game Sure its a tall order but if you score 350-400 or bowl the opposition out for 200 you give yourself half a chance.

It seems nobody in the dressing room gave NRR it’s due importance so it’s justice they missed out on semi final due to their poor NRR.

Daemon

Yeah. That is what I was trying to highlight. West Indies would have been unlikely to have maintained that run rate. It was still a dire performance from Pakistan, but those blips allow teams to chase hard and quick, gaining a NRR bonus that is too large. Think of how many losses the West Indies sustained before they finally fell into negative NRR. Rules is rules so I'm not saying Pakistan should have made the finals. I'm just looking for a alternatives to NRR, if they exist. Pews posted a good idea for dls but did you see the alorythm a few posts back? Too hard to follow.
That’s why WI only got credited with 108 in 13.3 overs and not 406 in 50. It had a big impact only because it was a massive, massive victory. Don’t think that’s a problem.

ankitj

I do think it should have been extrapolated to 406 in 50 overs so that the weight of the match is not diminished.

CricAddict

I do think it should have been extrapolated to 406 in 50 overs so that the weight of the match is not diminished.
Yes, if a team doesn't get all out chasing, then their NRR runs should be extrapolated to 50 overs. Otherwise, it is not fair on them.