• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do you have pegged for your 4 semi finalists?

Burgey

It’s pretty good seeing all the carry on because a week ago there was so much “this is destiny, this is 92 revisited” bullshit. It’s a wonder Sarfaraz didn’t go to a toss wearing a tee shirt with a tiger on it.

When your batting, bowling and fielding is ****, I guess you hang onto these things, but it’s dire stuff.

Groundking

It’s pretty good seeing all the carry on because a week ago there was so much “this is destiny, this is 92 revisited” bullshit. It’s a wonder Sarfaraz didn’t go to a toss wearing a tee shirt with a tiger on it.

When your batting, bowling and fielding is ****, I guess you hang onto these things, but it’s dire stuff.
Do you ever have anything nice to say?

Burgey

All the time. Every day. I’d say I have as many positive interactions with everyday people as anyone in public life like me can.

In fact if you head up to Balmain Woolworths over the weekend, I’ll happily run you over with a shopping trolley like I did an ABC journo recently.

SteveNZ

All the time. Every day. I’d say I have as many positive interactions with everyday people as anyone in public life like me can.

In fact if you head up to Balmain Woolworths over the weekend, I’ll happily run you over with a shopping trolley like I did an ABC journo recently.
I don't advocate violence but I feel like this running over was justified.

mr_mister

Haha what. Surely there footage of this

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Still crazy that game 2 and 3 of the tournament (Pak vs WI & NZ vs SL) were so massive. If either of the games were pretty close, it would have made the current match that much more interesting.

Just needed an Angelo Mathews 50 or say a 50 from Sarfaraz and the extra 70-80 team runs runs would most likely have slowed down the run chase too.

Howe_zat

NRR is honestly a pretty bad measurement. I've been thinking about why, I've always found it pretty much fine until this summer, but I've come down on the side of it not doing what it's supposed to.

Ftr I think Pakistan would probably still be out by any fair measurement that would replace it.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
ive just realised how good the black caps facebook comments are atm. 200 million salty bois with internet connections. so much potential for a lame friday night.

OverratedSanity

I reckon head to head would've been better and more exciting than NRR, especially in this format where everyone plays everyone. NRR has made one or two games overly important, which is what it sets out to avoid ( I think). So may as well go head to head to make the marquee matchups feel even more fun.

Last edited:

ankitj

One reason NRR system is bad is because they keep adding runs and overs across matches. So shorter matches and shorter innings have lower weight. They should calculate NRR for each match separately and take a simple average so all games have an equal weight.

Burner

England
New Zealand
India
Australia

If the pitches stay flat throughout the tournament, England to be massive favourites. India's chances rely heavily on their spinners imo. If Kudeep and Co get carted, they might not make it past the semis. Hopefully Australia don't find their mojo this time around. NZ's bats haven't clicked recently but with Guptill, Taylor and KW, they are a formidable side when if they eventually do.
Got the teams right. Was pretty much easy guesses tbf. Didn't rate SA in the first place.

Although England losing against NZ and Pakistan winning against Bangladesh would have been sweet. On the other hand, happy that Pakistan losing by such a massive margin against WI has come back to bite them in the ass. The narrative that they are unpredictable was getting nauseous.

It's probably going to be a India vs England, Australia vs New Zealand semi. Think whoever's batting first in the former wins, and Australia in the latter unless someone like Guptill gets their **** together.

srbhkshk

I reckon head to head would've been better and more exciting than NRR, especially in this format where everyone plays everyone. NRR has made one or two games overly important, which is what it sets out to avoid ( I think). So may as well go head to head to make the marquee matchups feel even more fun.
You have to still use NRR though , we can easily have 2+ teams with the same number of points.

Moss

England, India, Australia as the top 3 (though personally I would be happy if any team aside from these 3 wins the tournament). I'm picking Pakistan to edge out NZ and South Africa for the fourth spot.
I wasn't *that* far off about Pakistan vs New Zealand, though quite clearly had no inkling of how dire South Africa would be.

Rated Bangladesh but just didn't think they'd come off in non-Asian conditions, so major props to them. Can feel a little disappointed at not making the semis this time, and should consider themselves contenders next time around in India.

Last edited:

srbhkshk

South Africa lost 5-1 to India and barely scampered past Pakistan at their own home. It was clear they were gonna end up somewhere near the bottom. The only surprise is SL being above them, given that they were even more trash.

Agent Nationaux

No point crying or complaining over this. The rules were set before the tournament and it’s Pakistan’s fault for not considering NRR and for waking up so late as usual.

Also find it a disgrace that some fans and ex cricketers are talking about fixing/losing on purpose to kick Pakistan out. Nothing of the sort, as it was mainly about protecting their own run rate and I would have done the same to ensure qualification or future scenarios.

Those that are in the Semis are the most deserving to go through. Just hoping that England go on to win now, but I think the teams which win the toss will win the match, so good luck to all 4.

However, I am happy and proud of Pakistan’s performance by winning 4 in 4 at the end. I was also there to see 2 of those matches live. First one at Lords against South Africa and the second at Edgbaston against New Zealand. The New Zealand match was incredible and the crowd was amazing, especially when Babar scored his century. Great WC apart from the washed out matches.

Last edited:

quincywagstaff

I'm beginning to doubt whether NRR is the definitive way to go or at least it needs some adjustment. What about the 2015 Nz/Oz group game where Australia lost a heap of run rate but in truth were a whisker away from winning. Maybe wickets lost in the chase could be factored in somehow?

And I reckon where it comes down to two sides on the same points, it should be who won the head-to-head matchup. Maybe have NRR only come into it when there's more than two teams on the same amount of points.

straw man

One reason NRR system is bad is because they keep adding runs and overs across matches. So shorter matches and shorter innings have lower weight. They should calculate NRR for each match separately and take a simple average so all games have an equal weight.
That's a good point - I agree all matches should have equal weight. Would it have made much difference to the outcome?