• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will there be a World War 3?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
China will take over the world one territory at a time the way it's going without much bloodshed.

hendrix

- China the emerging military super power, the Chinese carrier fleet is in production and with the type 003 China will be at the cutting edge of military, global technology, disputes in the South China Sea and abroad could theoretically escalate or continue to escalate in the next 20-40 years
Definitely feel a civil war in USA is likely to happen before WW3 does.

International relations aren't that bad tbh. China are probably the most worrying player.
China will take over the world one territory at a time the way it's going without much bloodshed.
I know bugger all about China, but can someone tell me why it is perceived to be a military threat, aside from the fact that hey have military? I'm not saying they're do-gooders or anything but from where I'm standing it seems that they have displayed a quiet reticence over the past decade to get involved in any violent conflict.

harsh.ag

They are going do it via the economic way, creating modern vassal states which provide China access and tributes and allegiance.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I know bugger all about China, but can someone tell me why it is perceived to be a military threat, aside from the fact that hey have military? I'm not saying they're do-gooders or anything but from where I'm standing it seems that they have displayed a quiet reticence over the past decade to get involved in any violent conflict.
They’re gradually building a carrier fleet and are mildly belligerent in claims in the South China Sea.

With a carrier fleet we may see Chinese military influence spread or be used more boldly,

Munificent_Fool

No, I don't think there will be a third world war in the sense of the previous two. I think our chances of surviving another 5 centuries, however, is very low. Undoubtedly some will survive but I do believe there will be a massive reduction of the human population via nuclear weapons and scarcity.

And I'd be far more worried about India/Pakistan than any of the ones on Athlai's list tbh.

Munificent_Fool

I recall Gore Vidal borrowing from Kipling and coining "the yellow man's burden. "

Athlai

Not Terrible
No, I don't think there will be a third world war in the sense of the previous two. I think our chances of surviving another 5 centuries, however, is very low. Undoubtedly some will survive but I do believe there will be a massive reduction of the human population via nuclear weapons and scarcity.

And I'd be far more worried about India/Pakistan than any of the ones on Athlai's list tbh.
I don’t particularly see India or Pakistan starting a world war, just a major regional one.

Burgey

Any large scale war involving those two countries would be particularly horrendous given their respective populations though. Not that any war is less than horrible, just the sheer numbers involved would be insane. It also couldn’t help but interest China given its proximity to both. Pretty grim thinking about it.

trundler

Dropping a nuke on your immediate neighbor isn't such a wise move anyhow. A full scale India-Pakistan conflict for sure has the potential. China is planning on economically cuckolding Pakistan so it might get involved. 40% of the world's population could be killed. Insane.

zorax

likes this
What's scary with Chinese Communist Party is how desperate they are to control everything. They go through some ridiculous lengths to ensure their authority is never questioned and to control the narrative on everything.

A good example is their treatment of Falun Gong
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falun_Gong

Basically a group of yogis and meditators got too big in China, and fearing some hypothetical political threat from them, they decided to push out anti Falun Gong propoganda. The yogis and meditators protested these lies being put out by their own government, so the government has now banned it and reportedly harvest the organs of the followers.

You have plenty of other examples to - Tianmen Square and their treatment of it, censoring Google and all social media, their relationship with Hong Kong and Taiwan, the South China Sea shenanigans.

Add to that all the layers of corruption, double speak, forging of numbers - this is not a government you want to have significant control of the world. And this isn't a government that is likely to concede and cooperate in times of conflict.

Bahnz

I don’t particularly see India or Pakistan starting a world war, just a major regional one.
There's actually some quite scary atmospheric modelling that shows that a 'minor' nuclear exchange between Pakistan and India would have a huge impact on global temperatures (about a 2 degree c fall) that would likely cause widespread famine and probably trigger off regional wars across the world.

Athlai

Not Terrible
There's actually some quite scary atmospheric modelling that shows that a 'minor' nuclear exchange between Pakistan and India would have a huge impact on global temperatures (about a 2 degree c fall) that would likely cause widespread famine and probably trigger off regional wars across the world.
A mutant like me 400 years from now

"it still wasn't a world war, it was a regional war that led to a nuclear doomsday. There's a distinction Brian."

Brian "blllllllrrgggggh"

Daemon

What's scary with Chinese Communist Party is how desperate they are to control everything. They go through some ridiculous lengths to ensure their authority is never questioned and to control the narrative on everything.

A good example is their treatment of Falun Gong
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falun_Gong

Basically a group of yogis and meditators got too big in China, and fearing some hypothetical political threat from them, they decided to push out anti Falun Gong propoganda. The yogis and meditators protested these lies being put out by their own government, so the government has now banned it and reportedly harvest the organs of the followers.

You have plenty of other examples to - Tianmen Square and their treatment of it, censoring Google and all social media, their relationship with Hong Kong and Taiwan, the South China Sea shenanigans.

Add to that all the layers of corruption, double speak, forging of numbers - this is not a government you want to have significant control of the world. And this isn't a government that is likely to concede and cooperate in times of conflict.
I was reading an article the other day on how they take no action against Chinese companies that get listed overseas through RTOs and straight up fake their financial statements (legit numbers are filed with Chinese authorities). Apparently it's not illegal to defraud foreign investors.

Shri

"Hey that seems like a great idea to combat global warming."

- Trump

probably.

Uppercut

Climate change is a pretty plausible route to WW3. Could end up with a planet only producing enough food for half of its population.