• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in India

FBU

After today's game, Sreesanth has an economy rate over 6, the highest among all ODI bowlers. The guy is such a joke in ODI's; the South Africans will have done us a big favour if he is now out of World Cup contention. Though of course, Ishant and Nehra don't inspire much confidence either. We have to try out more medium pacers and hope one of them clicks by the World Cup.
I guess Parnell's 6.35 is not there as he has only played 11 ODIs

neutralguy

ODI is almost ruined because of Twenty20. Its like watching 2 twenty twenty matches with almost same scoring rate as that.
The ICC should seriously consider reducing the powerplays to only 5 overs instead of 20 overs to restore some sanity to the proceedings. The way its going, i would not be surprised if some team is going to make 500 in an innings against minnows in world cup. what a farce ODI's had become because of Twenty20.

stephen

ODI is almost ruined because of Twenty20. Its like watching 2 twenty twenty matches with almost same scoring rate as that.
The ICC should seriously consider reducing the powerplays to only 5 overs instead of 20 overs to restore some sanity to the proceedings. The way its going, i would not be surprised if some team is going to make 500 in an innings against minnows in world cup. what a farce ODI's had become because of Twenty20.
I call BS.

Your post was effectively criticising an increase in player skills due to cross discipline cricket.

We should not be lamenting and incrase in skills but celebrating it.

FBU

Yes, good idea.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd actually be in favour of the first 40 overs of the innings being field-restricted if not for the adverse effects it'd have on spinners. I'm not sure how you could get around that - all bar the very best would probably be legislated out of the game if that happened.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The same, two men outside the circle restiction?
Yeah indeed, and two close catchers. I think it'd really make for an entertaining game while the quicks were bowling as the bowlers would still have a great reason to attack and go for wickets throughout the whole innings. It's really hard for spinners to bowl to such fields though and their boundary-riders are often "attacking" as such anyway as they take catches.

Uppercut

I certainly don't consider high-scoring matches to be an inherently bad thing, there are plenty of seriously good high-scoring matches.

The problem is that the batsmen aren't really being tested. But if the batting is so much better than the bowling, what can you do? When Australia last went to India the matches weren't so high-scoring, largely because they had a clue about how to bowl in ODIs. South Africa, India and Sri Lanka are all just ridiculously dominant with the bat and, to differing extents, weak with the ball.

andyc

How did Sachin get MOTS over AB or even Kallis? He missed the last game and only performed in the second. Stupid.

Sir Alex

Banned
How did Sachin get MOTS over AB or even Kallis? He missed the last game and only performed in the second. Stupid.
Yeah agreed. It could probably that Abe De Villiers scored when it mattered little to the team from a series point of view. Nah, I am just making up excuses.
Edit - Kallis also deserved for the wickets he took in first innings and the runs. But he did not outscore Tendulkar.

honestbharani

lol.. welcome to hero worshipping in India.. AB, Kallis and heck, even Jadeja would have been a good shout in a bat dominated series...

bagapath

sachin for man of the series is a joke, even if you credit him for the boundary saving effort in the first game that probably won the game for india by one run. absolutely idiotic call.

Shri

Kallis the MotS for me. All round effort in the first game and a 100 in the 3rd game. Or AB Devil for his 2 100s.

G.I.Joe

Sachin awarded the mango of the season? sounds about right. Amla got his beard all messy digging into his mots after the tests.

ret

From the marketing PoV, For Volvo giving its S80 sedan to Tendulkar makes sense as now its flag ship sedan is associated with a guy becoming MoS for scoring the first double in the history of ODIs and on top of that the guy happens to be Tendulkar! .... I can't think of a better way to score points for a brand in India!

honestbharani

From the marketing PoV, For Volvo giving its S80 sedan to Tendulkar makes sense as now its flag ship sedan is associated with a guy becoming MoS for scoring the first double in the history of ODIs and on top of that the guy happens to be Tendulkar! .... I can't think of a better way to score points for a brand in India!
They are not the ones who should be selecting the MoS though... If they want Sachin to be the face of the thing, sign a bloody endorsement deal. Don't mock the concept of a Man of the Series..

ret

They are not the ones who should be selecting the MoS though... If they want Sachin to be the face of the thing, sign a bloody endorsement deal. Don't mock the concept of a Man of the Series..
I am talking from a marketing perspective as to how mouth-watering deal it is for them to have Sachin as MoS

What's right or wrong is a different discussion. You are giving your opinion based on your understanding of how a MoS should be chosen. To see why they chose Sachin, I would have to look in to how they arrived at that conclusion. But I wouldn't give too much weightage to the performances in the dead rubber to give MoS. More weighage should be placed on performances in the first two games

Last edited: