• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Spineless pathetic bastards...

Ausage

His mother hates his missus
His missus hates his mother
They all hate each other
The Johnson Family
de le la le de le la le de le la le

Yeah that's real below the belt that.........definitely the work of "filthy animals"
Do you think a sledge involving his mother and his wife would be acceptable if a player made it? Of course not. We'd all be moralizing about how it "went over the line" and how the player should apologize etc. I don't really think it's that offensive, but why should the BA be exempt from the "no sledges involving family" line that players are expected to adhere to? Because there's no one person who can be held accountable?

wiff

I like the BA, they add a lot of character and atmosphere to test cricket. The Johnson family song isn't terrible, but there should be a line drawn against personal attacks, from any side.

Adders

Do you think a sledge involving his mother and his wife would be acceptable if a player made it? Of course not. We'd all be moralizing about how it "went over the line" and how the player should apologize etc. I don't really think it's that offensive, but why should the BA be exempt from the "no sledges involving family" line that players are expected to adhere to? Because there's no one person who can be held accountable?
I'm genuinely amazed.........none of that is offensive towards the wifes or girlfriends, or or they not even allowed to be mentioned?? And since when have they been off limits for sledges anyway??

I'm terrible with famous cricket sledges and who said what but some well know ones....

Oi, why are you so fat??.............because every time I **** your wife she gives me a biscuit.

So what does Brian Laras cock taste like?.........I dunno, ask your wife.

FMD for a country that prides themselves on toughness some of you can be very thin skinned when it suits. The Johnson clan aired their dirty laundry in public, I really don't think that ditty (as lame as I reckon it is) is an over the top crack at them.

wiff

I'm genuinely amazed.........none of that is offensive towards the wifes or girlfriends, or or they not even allowed to be mentioned?? And since when have they been off limits for sledges anyway??

I'm terrible with famous cricket sledges and who said what but some well know ones....

Oi, why are you so fat??.............because every time I **** your wife she gives me a biscuit.

FMD for a country that prides themselves on toughness some of you can be very thin skinned when it suits. The Johnson clan aired their dirty laundry in public, I really don't think that ditty (as lame as I reckon it is) is an over the top crack at them.
I don't mind sledges person to person, on the cricket field. It gives you the opportunity to sledge back as well. When the media start photographing someone's personal life, or the BA start singing about someone's personal life, you can't really sledge them back, and they are making it very public. It's not like a one on one sledge in the middle of a cricket ground is it? No I don't think the Johnson song was terrible by any means, but with great songs comes great responsibility. :D On the other hand, Dave Warner deserved all he got.

Last edited:

Ausage

I can hear the pots and kettles clanging about in the cupboard.
1000x this. Warner calls Trott out for being terrible on the field and we get a barrage of comments on how he's out of line, over the top etc. BA calls out Johnson's family situation and they're calling for a spoonful of cement, it's a big boys game etc.

Sledging is either on, or not on. All this crap about defining where the line is ignores that the line is in different places for different people.

Uppercut

Does any other sport hold fans to the same standards of decency as players?

Jassy

Banned
1000x this. Warner calls Trott out for being terrible on the field and we get a barrage of comments on how he's out of line, over the top etc. BA calls out Johnson's family situation and they're calling for a spoonful of cement, it's a big boys game etc.

Sledging is either on, or not on. All this crap about defining where the line is ignores that the line is in different places for different people.
Yes, this. Either make it a no holds barred contest where anything goes or just keep your mouths shut and play cricket. If an Australian fan called Trott weak the English fans would (rightly) take umbrage. By the same token, you cannot drag mothers and girlfriends into the conversation, that is very, very personal. The same applies to the players too.

Debris

Yes, this. Either make it a no holds barred contest where anything goes or just keep your mouths shut and play cricket. If an Australian fan called Trott weak the English fans would (rightly) take umbrage. By the same token, you cannot drag mothers and girlfriends into the conversation, that is very, very personal. The same applies to the players too.
I always thought the rule was that sledges about things that were happening on the field were fine but dragging in off-field stuff was in poor taste.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah that was always my understanding too. Keep it about the cricket, don't make it personal.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Yep, spot on.

I think the criticism of Warner was way over the line, myself.

Yes, he has his flaws (so many flaws, etc, etc), but he didn't invent depression, ffs. No-one outside the confines of the England dressing room and (presumably) IJL Trott's immediate family knew the English #3 had such a problem until it was made public. To the outsider Trott has always seemed perfectly self-contained, always doing his own thing and playing his own game regardless of the game scenario or anything else, gloriously unaffected by those around him.

No disrespect to Davey Warner, but he doesn't strike one as the kind of chap who could intuit a depressive illness based on a few rash looking would-be pulls and hooks. What he said, given what he knew, was mildly ****ish (as is most sledging or post-match digs at the oppo, if one's honest), but fair enough given what was in the public domain at the time.

He was infinitely more out of line when he twatted Root, IMHO.

Tromperie

To be fair, I think it's obvious, and fairly understandable, why McGrath took such offence to that.

91Jmay

How anyone can be offended by that Mitchell Johnson song I have no idea. Goodness me, his mom and girlfriend don't like each other. What a terrifying and menacing barb.

wpdavid

To be fair, I think it's obvious, and fairly understandable, why McGrath took such offence to that.
I really don't know what he expected Sarwan to say in response to his own question. Can't really be surprised that the batsman went onto automatic pilot in response to his own contribution. Obviously dreadfully regrettable given his wife's state of health, but no-one forced him to indulge in this level of unpleasantness in the first place,

Shri

Yes, it is obvious. McGrath was a hypocritical asshole in that instance who wanted to dish it out but didn't want to take it. Much like Jimmy Anderson recently. Bottomline, you run your mouth, you prepare for the worst in return.

mullarkey

I really don't know what he expected Sarwan to say in response to his own question. Can't really be surprised that the batsman went onto automatic pilot in response to his own contribution. Obviously dreadfully regrettable given his wife's state of health, but no-one forced him to indulge in this level of unpleasantness in the first place,
We come back to: 'you don't cross the line' thing. Where is the line? who draws the line? McGrath brought that on himself and I think he felt pretty awful afterwards. I read his book a couple of years ago and Sarwan said that he didn't even know McGrath was married let alone the fact that the poor girl was seriously ill (correct me if I am wrong). Didn't McGrath apologise to Sarwan?

Burgey

How anyone can be offended by that Mitchell Johnson song I have no idea. Goodness me, his mom and girlfriend don't like each other. What a terrifying and menacing barb.
Really? The two women closest to you in life having a very public and bitter dispute wouldn't have some effect on you? 100s of people joyously singing about it while you're playing cricket wouldn't strike you as a bit off colour?

Jeez, I think you must be a bit of a **** mate. :ph34r: