• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Test, Lord's, London

stephen

LOL. As if you drop Broad based on his series to date and as if a fit Anderson gets left out. Classic.
"Recent performances". I.e. the tripe he served up against Pakistan, the Windies, India and Sri Lanka. Not that one innings in the first test against Australia.

If Anderson and Archer both play then Broad is the weakest link in England's pace attack. Ergo he is the one to make room.

TheJediBrah

This isn't really how causality in sport works though, it's not that linear. Indeed if Aus is bowled out for 150 on Day 1 then you could easily look at a truly catastrophic loss by an innings in some instances.
Of course, that's why I said "potentially I guess". Tiny instances can make enormous, unpredictable differences, in cricket especially.

Nope, nor was it "circa 2005 and for years after".
Atherton was retired in 2005, that's a completely different chapter of English cheating

Last edited:

the big bambino

Hmmm, there's been a couple from what I can see!:laugh:
Yeah I thought it was funny. Because he did. Contrast that with the fake outrage over the players who've served their time (and more than English cheats who did the same) and you get correct impression about England's hypocrisy.

Spark

Global Moderator
"Recent performances". I.e. the tripe he served up against Pakistan, the Windies, India and Sri Lanka. Not that one innings in the first test against Australia.

If Anderson and Archer both play then Broad is the weakest link in England's pace attack. Ergo he is the one to make room.
The bloke has 450 Test wickets ffs.

Victor Ian

Australians really talking about players/captains cheating? Oh dear.
Australians have earned the right to talk because we actually punish cheats and criminals. How's that going for England?

(joking - I am in the umpires make the decision camp on catches - most often the player cant tell)

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Is Joel Wilson worse than Kumar Dharmasena?

Saw the replay again, I've never seen a contentious catch that so obviously bounced off the turf.

Victor Ian

If Jimmy were fit we’d be 1-0 if not 2-0 up. I like Woakes but it’s not even a debate between him and Anderson.
What do you mean by fitness? He was declared fit. With a fit Bradman, Australia would be 2-0 up. Stupid comment.

Jimmy is at the fag end of his career. With bowlers, this tends to be when they are more susceptible to injury. Just look at the sad end of Steyns career. I'll tentatively agree with you if you mean a fit (5 years ago) Jimmy. But a fit (current age) Jimmy is always likely to have this happen, which is sad. England needs to move on lest Jimmy become a joke and ruin his legacy.

Burgey

Is Joel Wilson worse than Kumar Dharmasena?

Saw the replay again, I've never seen a contentious catch that so obviously bounced off the turf.
Dhoni claiming Pietersen at Lord’s off Zaheer Khan was the most blatant I’ve seen, and there have been a heap over the years to choose from. Clarke had one in anO DI vs NZ which was so dodgy. He was at square leg, right next to the umpire who was happy to give it. Bizarre

OverratedSanity

I've already proved Steve Waugh is the king of claiming bumped catches. They actually weren't even bumped catches, they were the Rashid latif pick it up from the ground and hope no one notices variety.

vcs

Yes, but they were picked up from the ground with the honesty and nobility of heart that only Australian cricketers possess. #NeverCrossTheLine

TheJediBrah

Dhoni claiming Pietersen at Lord’s off Zaheer Khan was the most blatant I’ve seen, and there have been a heap over the years to choose from. Clarke had one in anO DI vs NZ which was so dodgy. He was at square leg, right next to the umpire who was happy to give it. Bizarre
Ganguly in the World Cup 2003 final comes to mind, but the umpires were having none of it. That one bounced a foot in front of him and he threw it up and started celebrating. To make it even better the batsman didn't even hit it lol

SteveNZ

Yup, it was ridiculous. Not that we were in the game in any way, but the positioning of his hands was blatantly obvious a catch couldn't remain above ground. Yet as umpire Ponting had his finger up, Hopkins had to go.

Greg Dyer obviously, as well.

Woodster

Australians have earned the right to talk because we actually punish cheats and criminals. How's that going for England?

(joking - I am in the umpires make the decision camp on catches - most often the player cant tell)
:laugh: Absolutely. These ones are always tough to judge, the fielder genuinely thinks the catch is made, maybe it was maybe it wasn't. I'm not suggesting we are whiter than white by any stretch, but I do think Root believed he'd taken it cleanly.

OverratedSanity

We're slowly coming to the predictable conclusion of the sandpaper saga where australia once again claim the imaginary moral high ground and clap themselves on the back for (stupidly) punishing their own players for cheating. Hopefully if one day virat kohli gets caught tampering, the bcci tells the CA to piss of if they expect them to ban their own player to uphold make believe values.

TheJediBrah

We're slowly coming to the predictable conclusion of the sandpaper saga where australia once again claim the imaginary moral high ground and clap themselves on the back for (stupidly) punishing their own players for cheating. Hopefully if one day virat kohli gets caught tampering, the bcci tells the CA to piss of if they expect them to ban their own player to uphold make believe values.
If banning 3 players for 1 year for ball tampering doesn't give you the moral high ground then nothing will.

There's nothing imaginary about it if Australians claim the moral high ground after that, they've earned it

morgieb

If banning 3 players for 1 year for ball tampering doesn't give you the moral high ground then nothing will.

There's nothing imaginary about it if Australians claim the moral high ground after that, they've earned it
I guess OS's point is that the moral high ground is a load of **** (and was also used to cover a lot of fairly nasty stuff)

tbf it does seem like Australia have improved their on-field conduct tenfold, but reputations die hard.

Spark

Global Moderator

I'd happily hand said "moral high ground" back in that case