• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battrick Cup Part Four

Robertinho

And by nine space fillers, you mean Bhutia, Johnston, Rayno, Mills and 5 space fillers. Get it right, sheesh.

Scaly piscine

Nnanden said:
Asterix almost does IMO.
He's one of the worst culprits when it comes to filler players. If and when I buy another bat I'll have 6 strong+ bats, 2 all-rounders both with strong batting (one has prof-superb bowling the other has better bowling), 1 strong bowler and 2 quality+ bowlers.

Mahindinho

Scaly piscine said:
He's one of the worst culprits when it comes to filler players. If and when I buy another bat I'll have 6 strong+ bats, 2 all-rounders both with strong batting (one has prof-superb bowling the other has better bowling), 1 strong bowler and 2 quality+ bowlers.
I'm pretty close, too:

(bold for batting, italics for bowling)
1. Respectable
2. Remarkable
3. Superb
4. Wonderful
5. Respectable + Strong
6. Competent <-- stop-gap while I look for a proper replacement for Curtis
7. Feeble + Strong WK
8. Quality
9. Quality
10. Remarkable
11. Superb

All have decent secondaries.

I should have Strong+ primaries on 10 of my players soon, once I spend some cash. The 11th is Resp/Strong, and he'll probably be replaced or superseded towards the end of next season.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Scaly piscine said:
Sorry, mis-read Smith`s post. :)

Robertinho

Scaly piscine said:
Definitely loads of depth, but don't you feel you're focusing a little too heavily on instant success? Sure, right now, 8 strongs are dandy, but what about in a season or two when strong isn't so flash, and you're coming up against sides with remarkables, wonderfuls and so on? You could always sell them, of course, but there's no guarantee the price of a strong will keep increasing like it has been recently.

When I'm buying players, and I mean fairly large purchases, I always make sure that I'm confident they'll be in my XI for several seasons to come (if they're too old to train, then I'd say around remarkable), or if they're young enough to train, that I'll train them to a level where they'll be in my XI for seasons to come. I mean, you could buy 4 strongs or 1 remarkable... unless I was starting from scratch, I'd always go for the remarkable.

Scaly piscine

I don't ever see strongs plummeting in value, they'll probably keep steadily increasing or hold their price. The best players you can get from a YP are bottom proficients who are probably deficient in something, the players new teams get are usually awful. So there will always be demand for strongs even if FC never comes in (when it does there'll be even more demand). Regardless, of my 8 strong+ bats one is superb already with huge concentration (and is still getting trained), one will hit superb over the next two weeks, one will hit superb in about a month, one is 18 and getting trained, one has huge concentration and is 20 and is getting trained, two are all-rounders (one of those will get trained in batting when one of the others pops to superb). That leaves the last guy I bought who I'm waiting to see what his wage recalculates to. So there's only going to be two of them that are sticking on strong and one of those is an all-rounder. Nearly all of them have good concentration which makes them easy to sell.

As for the strongs they have already come up against remarkables and wonderfuls and they've held their own. It's also much easier to get an upgrade if you've got guys you can sell in the first place without crippling your team.

Adamc

Haha, it was just a joke, never meant to imply that I don't have fillers in my squad. I've been bemoaning the fact all season.

There are two main ways to go about it: 1) gradually acquire more and more guns; or 2) keep the squad more or less at an even level and gradually improve them through training and trading. Obviously I've gone about the first way, and it was working fine until Allan tweaked the match engine to screw with gun batsmen/batsmen in general to a degree (a change I agree with, but we weren't given ample warning). If I'd started later or been in a lower league I can see why the second option would make more sense.

At the moment I can see Whitehorne, Watkins, Ashton, Cuss and Harewood being sufficiently useful to be in my team in five seasons. Possibly Baird too but I haven't decided what I'm going to do with him yet. Malik's been pretty poor this season and I'll probably trade up at some point next season. The rest are crap (well Beaumont's OK, but he's soon to be sold).

Edit: for the record I'd still take my team over any of the other CW teams. :sleep:

Last edited:

Robertinho

I think 1) is the best way to go about it, which is the sort of mindset I'm using with my training - train only a few, but train them high.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'm trying to keep my first eleven fairly consistent and gradually improving players when I've got time to check the transfer market, but in the meantime, I'm bringing up a couple of players who are just being trained at the moment, and playing the odd game, although they'd probably be 1st team picks if I wanted to use them.

Scaly piscine

I've never been in a position to do anything but do what I've done. I have had crap YPs early on and a crap starting squad. The two players I've trained up (Armstrong and Dillon) from the early stages both started off rubbish but that was all I could afford. When the 42 days is up I'll have 11 starting players I can sell for 1m minimum and Khuliso who I bought to train up to quality, improve his stamina and then sell on for 2m+. I'll be able to raise enough money to buy a wonderful/exceptional type gun player on the market (no point in me buying any more strongs except for profit).

chaminda_00

For what it matters im using the Mahindinho approach, by next season i should have 8 players who are strong plus, with 7 superb plus. Personally i think its the way to go and quickest way to get XI gun players. Cus by the time i finish training these guys i only need to train three more, if i don't buy in another top player, to get XI top players. All my seven trainees should be remarkable plus by the time they turn 22, but with crap secondaries, that the bad thing im finding with training so many players.

nibbs

in other developments... the final is underway. i can tell you that Whenuapai CC won the toss and elected to field

End of Over 3: 18-0, runrate=6.00
Sweeney 2-0-14-0
Reed* 11 (9 balls)
Perry 7 (9 balls)

nibbs

End of Over 14: 69-1, runrate=4.93
Hamshaw 2-0-6-1
Reed* 43 (41 balls)
Mcgregor 1 (2 balls)

Last Wicket: Perry lbw b. Hamshaw 24 (FOW: 67/1)

nice