• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best front-foot batsman ever?

Captain_Cook

I don't think this topic has been covered in a while.

Who is the master of the off-drive, the bane of McGrath, the taunter of the slip cordon?

the big bambino

There was some playwright (forget his name) who played for a team that had a 60+ yo Arthur Wellard as a team member. Wellard bowled to Hammond and was asked to reminisce. Best player off the front foot he reckoned. Used to set two rings of fielders on the off side and he banged the ball through both he recalled. "Best player I ever saw off the front foot". "What about the back foot Arthur; was he any good off that? "He was bloody useful off the back foot too". Not sure if Arthur ever saw any random Indian play though.

Last edited:

JBMAC

Greg Chappell, David Gower, Peter May, Ted Dexter,Colin Cowdrey, Mark Waugh, Neil Harvey to name but a few off the top of my head