• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Big debate - Space or comma in large numbers

Do you use a space or a comma when writing large numbers?

• Space

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Comma

Votes: 30 83.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Check Scaly's style guide

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

Goughy

My kids are going to an international school for the first time - US curriculum rather than UK. There are bloody commas everywhere.

I work with a lot of Americans and they defend the comma vociferously. Anything else to them is wrong. I dont like it at all. It looks messy and dated and pointless. However, a bit of research show that style guides - admittedly mostly America - advocate the comma as a delimiter.

So, in your opinion, is ten thousand written as 10 000 or 10,000 or some other way?

Tom Halsey

Haha I thought the comma was a UK thing until now tbf. What do they do in Europe? It's a space there isn't it?

10,000 for me too for largely the same reason as SS.

Goughy

Haha I thought the comma was a UK thing until now tbf. What do they do in Europe? It's a space there isn't it?

I guess different schools do things differently. I was educated in the UK and told quite clearly that a comma is unscientific and not a valid mathematical term (or whatever the correct phrase is - it was a long time ago)

I am interested in the results here as I am not adverse to changing how I write it.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
But if the comma isn't scientific, neither is the space. If you're going to do that just write it in actual scientific notation.

HeathDavisSpeed

Why would you use a space? Don't the french use full stops and then the comma as their decimal point? i.e. 10,000.15 becomes 10.000,15

Anyway, commas for me.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Comma is the way to go. Though not when actually doing an equation.

10,000 birds flew to Moscow. (Y)
10,000 x 2 = 20,000 (N)
10000 x 2 = 20000 (WAG)

Goughy

Not looking good for me. I guess unless there is a huge swing overnight then I will have to think about changing to go with the flow. I will not ask a separate question about using Oxford commas as that isn't something I am yet ready to change :)

Last edited:

Goughy

Comma is the way to go. Though not when actually doing an equation.

10,000 birds flew to Moscow. (Y)
10,000 x 2 = 20,000 (N)
10000 x 2 = 20000 (WAG)
I can see that. In report writing I see the use when the numbers are surrounded by words. But not when there is a calculation - 11,345 + 15,756 looks far messier than 11 345 + 15 756

HeathDavisSpeed

I can see that. In report writing I see the use when the numbers are surrounded by words. But not when there is a calculation - 11,345 + 15,756 looks far messier than 11 345 + 15 756
Neither spaces nor commas when doing calculations for me. When I write reports in excel, I always use commas - even if the report features few words. People tend to be able to digest large numbers more easily if broken up with commas, I have found through experimentation with different report formats.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator

Mainly space (and comma as decimal point as Heef said)

I use commas in English.

The Indians to recommend 1,00,00,000 :ph34r:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Comma for me.

Although it doesn't look right in four figure numbers (1,000), but does in five (10,000).

fredfertang

It may be something to do with my age, but 10 000 looks quite grotesque to me - somewhat taken by surprise that there is a school of thought that believes it to be correct

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

Yeah, same here.

Had never even heard of spaces being used before ftr.

Riggins

Don't some people use decimal points and commas the wrong way around? They're the real monsters here.