• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Big debate - Space or comma in large numbers

Do you use a space or a comma when writing large numbers?

• Space

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Comma

Votes: 30 83.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Check Scaly's style guide

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

jan

From my experience English speaking people are always so confused when when I write 10 000. I to use a full stop 10.000 for them. A comma in numbers is used for 0,5 kg and such ffs.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I tend to use spaces, largely because there's often all kinds of symbols floating around (as well as actual commas) and adding more just makes things a mess. Particularly in equations.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Tend to do a lot of stuff in excel, so it's either a straight 10000 or 10,000; and I'd much rather the latter.

superkingdave

Comma...didn't even know space was a thing? Does it have a shortcut in excel? ctrl+shift+! is probably one of my most used shortcuts.

dogwalker

I just looked at my keyboard. Apart from the various assortment of junkie **** that's on it, it also has a comma key.

Top_Cat

Space junkie here. As usual I'm #withgoughy and #againstsilentstriker. Commas resolve ambiguity but spaces increase the chances of a bank error in your favour.

EDIT: Withdrew commas in protest.

EDIT2: Waitwaitwaitwaitwait when did the forum turn off the ability to click on poll votes? I want to see who voted for what! This is an outrage!

Last edited:

cpr

Yep, comma here, especially when writing monetary values (HMRC's 'Clear writing guide' - yes someone was paid to come up with that - states comma's must be used in numbers when writing to the public or it fails quality checks).

I'm that much in the comma favour that if a calculator doesn't have the comma's on it, I wont use it. I need my numbers represented properly!

Howe_zat

Yep, comma here, especially when writing monetary values (HMRC's 'Clear writing guide' - yes someone was paid to come up with that - states comma's must be used in numbers when writing to the public or it fails quality checks).

I'm that much in the comma favour that if a calculator doesn't have the comma's on it, I wont use it. I need my numbers represented properly!
If you want 'proper' numbers then you want standard form, all else is dressing