• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cardiff's Mickey Mouse ground gets another Ashes Test

Jacknife

They still owe loads of cash from this years games to the ECB, apart from that it's one of the worst pitches for England to play on, especially if your after results.
I still can't get over that Leeds can't even afford to exercise their right to stage Ashes Tests, still feeling the effect of that Pakistan Australia game last year.

Howe_zat

Few thoughts:

Really don't get what's so great about Cardiff. Also don't get how they can afford to keep outbidding everyone when they keep losing huge amounts of money every time an international goes over there.

Also amused by Cricinfo not bothering to put in the names of the grounds for Cardiff and Durham, because no-one really knows what they'll be called in two or four years.

I knew Headingley wouldn't be bidding, but that still doesn't stop it hurting a bit that there'll be hardly any test cricket there over the next few years. Maybe even none. Worrying too, as where else is the money coming from?

Nice to see TB get an Ashes Test in both series. One of my favourite grounds.

Lord's gets way too many. I could understand them safeguarding one Test a year there, but two? While everyone else scraps around for the leftovers?

Hopefully the Test Championship they're running can spread it around a bit.

Scaly piscine

Oh **** me they've got the T20 finals day in 2012 as well. What an absolute shambles that will be.

Maybe there is some bidding still involved, or backhanders. Whatever.

superkingdave

Edgbaston has T20 finals 4 years in a row...did no-one else bid? Wouldn't mind seeing it somewhere like the Oval one year

2013 Ashes looks great, 2015 not so much

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
This has probably been commented on before, but which spectacular genius came up with the idea that NZ and Sri Lanka should both tour England twice with 2 years between them?

benchmark00

Every ground in England is Mickey Mouse postage stamp ****.

Log some villiages and play on a real sized ground, ****s.

Howe_zat

Yep, we really need to learn how to build a ring of concrete that looks like a car park, and make sure it's half empty for every match.

Woo.

MW1304

Australians have to overcompensate for certain failings by building these massive ugly stadiums.

Its called a cricket ground ****s.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Come on, the Gabba and 7/8ths of the SCG have been utterly ruined by recent development. The MCG only gets away with it because of the sheer scale of the place, and I'll bet that the redevelopment at Adelaide wrecks the charm of the ground.

Scaly piscine

Come on, the Gabba and 7/8ths of the SCG have been utterly ruined by recent development. The MCG only gets away with it because of the sheer scale of the place, and I'll bet that the redevelopment at Adelaide wrecks the charm of the ground.
You can't really expect history or charm in Australia though. Now that England have suddenly become good at sport Australia's only reason for existence is to pad out our lesser freeview channels with cheap soaps.

hazsa19

"Several other venues, many of them vying with something approaching desperation for the raft of international fixtures Cardiff have been granted, could be forgiven for asking what Glamorgan has done to earn such a high profile and easily marketed fixture"

So true. Cardiff is so far behind almost every English ground in almost every department. It's unreal.