• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chess

srbhkshk

My hunch is that people who don't quite know how to play against KG would be absolutely destroyed by it in Bullet/Blitz, maybe even Rapid.

Uppercut

My hunch is that people who don't quite know how to play against KG would be absolutely destroyed by it in Bullet/Blitz, maybe even Rapid.
Definitely. There’s reams and reams of sharp and unintuitive theory.

I just skip it by almost never playing e5. I don’t know why I did against GS before.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah my first move these days is typically 1. Nf3 exactly so I can steer as best as possible to the sorts of more strategic d4/g3 positions that I like playing a lot more than sharp lines straight out of the opening.

Uppercut

Yeah my first move these days is typically 1. Nf3 exactly so I can steer as best as possible to the sorts of more strategic d4/g3 positions that I like playing a lot more than sharp lines straight out of the opening.
What responses to d4 are you trying to avoid?

Spark

Global Moderator
What responses to d4 are you trying to avoid?
Virtually every time I play 1. Nf3 it becomes some variant of the QG or Catalan or maybe some Sicilian. No need to worry about Bekos, Benonis, Caro-Kann's etc etc which I know ****-all about. For some reason I never see the QID but I sometimes see people attempting the Grunfeld.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I love watching videos and analysis stuff but I'm honestly still finding that my play is best improved by "stop hanging pieces in one move" and the like. The number of really good positions I just throw away because I hang a rook or queen is way fewer than the number of flat-out unplayable positions I get out of the opening.

Uppercut

I love watching videos and analysis stuff but I'm honestly still finding that my play is best improved by "stop hanging pieces in one move" and the like. The number of really good positions I just throw away because I hang a rook or queen is way fewer than the number of flat-out unplayable positions I get out of the opening.
Definitely. I thought it was me for a while but really chess is just kind of like that.

I'm not sure how to work on it. I think it's just the type of thing that improves automatically while you're focused on improving in other ways.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
i think chess leads itself to making grandiose plans in your brain that can be foiled by overlooking that you've left one piece hanging

which is in itself a sign of a well designed game

GotSpin

Yeah. His playing style is amazing, I haven’t found anyone else doing videos who plays anything like him.
Him and GM Daniel King do a lot of work on the KG.

But yeah the Ginger GM loves a gambit!

As for hanging pieces, I think that’s something hard to avoid