• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chess

Uppercut

I was homebound for a few weeks at the start of the year and got to learning chess properly. Very addictive and it looks like most of us will be spending a lot of time at home for the foreseeable. It's also one of very few games still going ahead, so maybe a good time for a new thread. Candidates tournament (for the right to challenge Magnus Carlsen as world champion) is being played now.

Also if anyone wants a game I'm ChuckFaldo on Chess.com, so feel free to add me. I'm not very good, 1000-1100 depending on the format, but getting better.

GotSpin

I was homebound for a few weeks at the start of the year and got to learning chess properly. Very addictive and it looks like most of us will be spending a lot of time at home for the foreseeable. It's also one of very few games still going ahead, so maybe a good time for a new thread. Candidates tournament (for the right to challenge Magnus Carlsen as world champion) is being played now.

Also if anyone wants a game I'm ChuckFaldo on Chess.com, so feel free to add me. I'm not very good, 1000-1100 depending on the format, but getting better.
I just added you

Athlai

Not Terrible
Wasted an hour or so of working from home on this.

Elometer

Based on your move choices, our estimate of your Elo rating is 1435, with a 95% confidence interval of [1268...1601].
Which I suspect is verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry kind to me. I haven't played chess in like 12 years and I've never ever been an actual player.

Uppercut

Scrappy win. G_S was comfortably ahead until he started to run out of time.

Disgracefully I missed a Queen sacrifice mate and won on timeout instead.

GotSpin

I really enjoy watching Ben Finegold lectures on players of the past

Last edited:

honestbharani

I have never played it since I was 10 and back then it was just something to do when it was raining outside and power cut inside. We used to sit at the roofed corner of our terrace and play chess. I might get into this sometime over the weekend. Hopefully we have a game, UC. :)