• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Computer help needed

Loony BoB

Is your laptop covered by any kind of warranty? I've seen this kind of problem come up a lot in my line of work. Sometimes it's the battery, sometimes it's the PSU, sometimes it's the system board. More than likely the battery, though - it's always best to call up regardless if you have warranty.

If it's inside the first year of your laptop's life, then the battery should still be covered under warranty. If it's been over two years since you last changed your battery, then you should probably get a new one anyway because they more often than not bugger up after two and three years of use.

As for the price of a battery - what kind of laptop do you have? Fujitsu Lifebook S6120? S7010? Compaq EVO N610C? NC6000? NC4010? Sony Vaio? IBM Thinkpad T21? T23? Every laptop has it's own battery so there's no way to tell until you get into detail. :)

Burpey

Update

Getting a new replacement CD-drive tomorrow, covered under warranty so it's free.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Loony BoB said:
Is your laptop covered by any kind of warranty? I've seen this kind of problem come up a lot in my line of work. Sometimes it's the battery, sometimes it's the PSU, sometimes it's the system board. More than likely the battery, though - it's always best to call up regardless if you have warranty.

If it's inside the first year of your laptop's life, then the battery should still be covered under warranty. If it's been over two years since you last changed your battery, then you should probably get a new one anyway because they more often than not bugger up after two and three years of use.

As for the price of a battery - what kind of laptop do you have? Fujitsu Lifebook S6120? S7010? Compaq EVO N610C? NC6000? NC4010? Sony Vaio? IBM Thinkpad T21? T23? Every laptop has it's own battery so there's no way to tell until you get into detail. :)
It is an IBM thinkpad R52. It would be covered under warranty. I think it is around 1 and half years since I got it. The thing is it has been bought in the US and I think I would have to talk to people in the US directly. :(

Last edited:

Loony BoB

Yeah, that might get tricky! Still, it might well be possible to still log a call with IBM in India. However...

If it's over a year then the warranty on the battery would likely have expired (batteries only have a one year warranty, unlike the rest of the laptop). I suspect they'll just tell you to buy a new battery, since they won't have to do anything that way. eBay looks to have the best prices I can see in a brief search.

Still, it's worth a shot to log a call all the same. Trying doesn't hurt (at least, not in this case).

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah thanks dude.. Is there no way my laptop can tell me regarding the battery (if it needs replacement or some thing)?

Loony BoB

Not without testing it with another battery or being a lot smarter than all the engineers and vetting teams I work alongside. ;) It tends to be "more than likely the battery. If that doesn't work, then..." kind of stuff. PSU and system board problems could make it appear to be a battery fault when it isn't, but even then you'd need to get them both swapped. Here...

1) Call IBM India. See if they'll work on it regardless of where you bought it.
2) Let them know the problem. If they say you need to buy a battery, push your luck - ask if they can swap your system board and/or power supply just to be sure.
3) You probably won't get far, they'll probably say to replace your battery and that's that.
4) Before you hang up, make sure you have some kind of call reference. They will have one. If they don't, ask them to log one. Take note of it.
5) Buy a battery. If it doesn't work, ask IBM India if you can pass that charge on to IBM India since they told you this would fix the fault and it didn't. And then demand they fix your damned laptop.

More than likely the battery will solve the problem, though... but if you want to cover all tracks, that's what you can do.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Loony BoB said:
Not without testing it with another battery or being a lot smarter than all the engineers and vetting teams I work alongside. ;) It tends to be "more than likely the battery. If that doesn't work, then..." kind of stuff. PSU and system board problems could make it appear to be a battery fault when it isn't, but even then you'd need to get them both swapped. Here...

1) Call IBM India. See if they'll work on it regardless of where you bought it.
2) Let them know the problem. If they say you need to buy a battery, push your luck - ask if they can swap your system board and/or power supply just to be sure.
3) You probably won't get far, they'll probably say to replace your battery and that's that.
4) Before you hang up, make sure you have some kind of call reference. They will have one. If they don't, ask them to log one. Take note of it.
5) Buy a battery. If it doesn't work, ask IBM India if you can pass that charge on to IBM India since they told you this would fix the fault and it didn't. And then demand they fix your damned laptop.

More than likely the battery will solve the problem, though... but if you want to cover all tracks, that's what you can do.
I will follow that step by step. I would think it is the battery as once I put the charger in, the laptop works perfectly for hours after starting (after a while). Thanks again.