• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Computer help needed

Burpey

Whenever I put an audio CD or a CD-Rom in my drive, it doesn't recognise it. My Computer thinks there is nothing in the drive. Also, I can hear the disk trying to spin then stopping, then spin a bit more and stop again, etc. Interestingly though, when I put a DVD in it works perfectly.

Anybody got any ideas?

bugssy

that happened to mewhen i got my new pc and it was the hard drive. no good. it should still be under warranty so

dinu23

it's the CD drive. did u try cleaning the lense? if that didn't work better replace it.

Loony BoB

Assuming your PC has a warranty, you should be able to get a replacement (possibly a slightly better one, if you're lucky) for free by calling the company you purchased it from. Most PCs have a three year warranty, if not a one year at the least. Seven months should fit in that easily.

If this is a customised PC, then your drive should still have it's own one year warranty at minimum.

One other idea would be to try reinstalling the drivers, although I suspect it's the hardware personally.

EDIT: Cleaning the lens may help, but really, if it's seven months old and already having problems, cleaning the lens won't make it last longer than it should. You'd be better off with a replacement drive. If your lens is cleaned, and screws up again five months later, the drive could be out of warranty and then you'll have to shell out. Always - always - better off getting replacement parts during the times you're still able to. I replaced as many parts as I could after three and a half years had passed in my four year warranty. Any slight difficulty was a good enough reason to get them to change it - and they don't generally ask questions (especially if you say that the fault is intermittent - this means that even if they don't see the fault when they arrive at your door, they SHOULD replace the parts anyway... I know this because I manage these kinds of calls).

Last edited:

Burpey

Thanks for everyone's advice. I'm going to call Dell tomorrow and sort things out. I have three year warranty and I think they even come to me to sort it out. I just thought it could be something simple I could sort out myself, but apparently not.

benchmark00

This may sound simplistic, but this happened to me once, so what i did was a system restore to a date when my cd drives worked, and it was all chips and gravy again.

Start > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

yaju

Nothing wrong in getting a free replacement if you are getting it. Make the full use of the services being provided by the company.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I am having a weird problem with my laptop. A lot of times, it doesn't start. However, when I plug the charger in, it does after 5-15 minutes.

Any possible reasons or solutions?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
There is a lot of charge left when it does start. Maybe a lot of usage over the past month has meant it needs some rest or some thing.

I will try that and see if it improves in the next week or some thing or else by a new battery. How much does a new one cost approx?

Matteh

I honestly have no idea. I'd check if Ebay have any rather than a shop first (and it'll give an indication of price).