• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Ashes Squad

Groundking

I'm completely bewildered by the Crane hype as well. I think that selection is nearly as bad as Vince.

Crane's record in FC cricket is absolute toilet. If you want a guy who can bat as well, pick Rashid. If you want a promising leg spinner who's actually took wickets at an average the right side of 40, pick Parkinson or whoever.

There are a few young batsmen knocking about averaging nigh on 50. Vince is just absolute trash. Ballance can't play 85mph swinging half volleys. What's he going to do against 90mph+ swinging half volleys?
Just ****ing pick Leach ffs, easily the best spinner in the CC right now.

Spikey

there's no way Leach was making his debut in the Ashes after the ECB-leaked hit piece on him. Dom Bess had more chance. Jacky boy is gonna have to play 10 trouble free tests before he plays against Australia...

SeamUp

I think they wanted a wrist spinner. Clearly Rashid is not in the picture anymore and Crane is in the fore-front of their minds coming through the ECB pathways over Parkinson.

Bess an off-spinner isn't he ? So they wouldn't take him with Moeen there.

Lets be brutally honest here. Slow-left-arm was the other option to spin the other way to Moeen but ECB selectors were to scared to back Leach after 'action leak' and went with Liam Dawson at the beginning of the summer. **** me.

Starfighter

That top order could make rather painful watching. The lack of sideways movement may help Ballance and Malan, but the pace and bounce might not.

I don't understand the inclusion of Crane. He's clearly not good enough at the moment, and like some others I think Parkinson's better, but if he plays he should be in the Lions squad or whatever actually getting some game time. Yasir Shah's a much better leg spinner but Warner hammered him all over the SCG. And the MCG as well. Leach mightn't be over penetrative on our pitches but he's a much safer bet because he's more accurate.

Good to see they've finally abandoned Finn. Five years ago I though he might go on to be really good but it hasn't happened. I'd play Overton instead of Ball, who'll be cannon fodder, and I don't really expect Woakes to do well although he seems to have improved since the '15 WC.

Scaly piscine

In theory Ballance should be fine with the bounce/pace since he's permanently camped on the stumps and has more time to react. But if there's swing, ie if he bats at 3, he's going to be complete toast.

Woodster

In theory Ballance should be fine with the bounce/pace since he's permanently camped on the stumps and has more time to react. But if there's swing, ie if he bats at 3, he's going to be complete toast.
Not sure I entirely agree that Ballance will be fine with the bounce and pace. I do agree that the pitch up is a danger aswell, but can certainly see him getting peppered in order to set him up for the full stuff. I don't think he's ever totally convinced with the short stuff into the body.

Howe_zat

Boo.

Should've been Hales over Vince.

Crane is on a hiding to nothing. He'll only get a game if we're being spanked, and then he'll bowl like a 21 year old legspinner, and probably never play again.

Daemon

Boo.

Should've been Hales over Vince.

Crane is on a hiding to nothing. He'll only get a game if we're being spanked, and then he'll bowl like a 21 year old legspinner, and probably never play again.
Well the last time a young English leggie got a solitary Ashes game he did alright with the ball so theres some hope