• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Squad announced

jondavluc

England twenty/20 Squad

No Strauss.

Kevin Pietersen
Kabir Ali
James Anderson
Gareth Batty
Ian Bell
Ravi Bopara
Tim Bresnan
Stuart Broad
Paul Collingwood
Stephen Davies
Joe Denly
James Foster
Andrew Flintoff
Stephen Harmison
Rob Key
Sajid Mahmood
Dimitri Mascarenhas
Eoin Morgan
Graham Napier
Samit Patel
Liam Plunkett
Matt Prior
Adil Rashid
Owais Shah
Ryan Sidebottom
Graeme Swann
Chris Tremlett
Shaun Udal
Chris Woakes
Luke Wright

ICC World Twenty20 2009

No place for Strauss in England's Twenty20 squad

Cricinfo staff

April 6, 2009
The wrong shirt ... Andrew Strauss at the official ODI squad photo, West Indies v England, 3rd ODI, Barbados, March 26, 2009
Andrew Strauss has a chance to focus solely on the Ashes © Getty Images

Andrew Strauss, England's Test and one-day captain, has been left out of the squad for the ICC World Twenty20 this summer. A preliminary squad of 30 players was named today which will be cut to 15 for the 16-day tournament, which starts on June 5 in England.

"Andrew Strauss had an outstanding tour of the West Indies during a difficult winter," said Geoff Miller, the England selector. "Andrew and the selectors believe his game is better suited to Test and one-day international cricket and it is for that reason he has not been selected in the preliminary 30-man squad for the forthcoming ICC World Twenty20. Andrew is focused on the Test and ODI format of the game despite not being included in the 30-man Twenty20 squad."

Strauss, 32, has only played four international Twenty20s for England. He has now been given an opportunity to focus on a busy summer that also includes Test and one-day series against West Indies, the Ashes and a seven-match one-day series against Australia. Strauss's one-day career looked to be over after he was dumped following England's calamitous campaign in the Caribbean two years ago, but after being appointed captain he scored a century during the recent ODIs against West Indies. However, the selectors still feel he is not right for cricket's shortest format.

The preliminary squad includes the offspinner Shaun Udal, who turned 40 last month, as well as Samit Patel, who was recently left out of the Twenty20 and ODI games in the West Indies after failing to "reach acceptable standards of fitness for international cricket".

It also contains five uncapped players for England - Kent's wicketkeeper-batsman Joe Denly, Middlesex's Eion Morgan, who has played for Ireland, the exciting Essex allrounder Graham Napier, Chris Woakes, who was Warwickshire's leading wicket-taker last year with 49 scalps, and Adil Rashid, the spinner from Yorkshire who toured with the senior side in the Caribbean.

The Yorkshire allrounder Tim Bresnan, who last played for England in August 2008, has also been included along with Kabir Ali, Liam Plunkett, Chris Tremlett, and Sajid Mahmood, all fast bowlers with international experience.

The England selectors have decided against naming a captain yet as they feel it is more important to review the recent tour of the West Indies. They hope to gain valuable input from the players and support staff. "Once these processes have been achieved the selectors will name England's Twenty20 captain in due course," Miller said.

http://content.cricinfo.com/wt202009/content/current/story/398560.html

four_or_six

England twenty/20 Squad

No Strauss.

Kevin Pietersen
Kabir Ali
James Anderson
Gareth Batty
Ian Bell
Ravi Bopara
Tim Bresnan
Stuart Broad
Paul Collingwood
Stephen Davies
Joe Denly
James Foster
Andrew Flintoff
Stephen Harmison
Rob Key
Sajid Mahmood
Dimitri Mascarenhas
Eoin Morgan
Graham Napier
Samit Patel
Liam Plunkett
Matt Prior
Adil Rashid
Owais Shah
Ryan Sidebottom
Graeme Swann
Chris Tremlett
Shaun Udal
Chris Woakes
Luke Wright

ICC World Twenty20 2009

No place for Strauss in England's Twenty20 squad

Cricinfo staff

April 6, 2009
The wrong shirt ... Andrew Strauss at the official ODI squad photo, West Indies v England, 3rd ODI, Barbados, March 26, 2009
Andrew Strauss has a chance to focus solely on the Ashes © Getty Images

Andrew Strauss, England's Test and one-day captain, has been left out of the squad for the ICC World Twenty20 this summer. A preliminary squad of 30 players was named today which will be cut to 15 for the 16-day tournament, which starts on June 5 in England.

"Andrew Strauss had an outstanding tour of the West Indies during a difficult winter," said Geoff Miller, the England selector. "Andrew and the selectors believe his game is better suited to Test and one-day international cricket and it is for that reason he has not been selected in the preliminary 30-man squad for the forthcoming ICC World Twenty20. Andrew is focused on the Test and ODI format of the game despite not being included in the 30-man Twenty20 squad."

Strauss, 32, has only played four international Twenty20s for England. He has now been given an opportunity to focus on a busy summer that also includes Test and one-day series against West Indies, the Ashes and a seven-match one-day series against Australia. Strauss's one-day career looked to be over after he was dumped following England's calamitous campaign in the Caribbean two years ago, but after being appointed captain he scored a century during the recent ODIs against West Indies. However, the selectors still feel he is not right for cricket's shortest format.

The preliminary squad includes the offspinner Shaun Udal, who turned 40 last month, as well as Samit Patel, who was recently left out of the Twenty20 and ODI games in the West Indies after failing to "reach acceptable standards of fitness for international cricket".

It also contains five uncapped players for England - Kent's wicketkeeper-batsman Joe Denly, Middlesex's Eion Morgan, who has played for Ireland, the exciting Essex allrounder Graham Napier, Chris Woakes, who was Warwickshire's leading wicket-taker last year with 49 scalps, and Adil Rashid, the spinner from Yorkshire who toured with the senior side in the Caribbean.

The Yorkshire allrounder Tim Bresnan, who last played for England in August 2008, has also been included along with Kabir Ali, Liam Plunkett, Chris Tremlett, and Sajid Mahmood, all fast bowlers with international experience.

The England selectors have decided against naming a captain yet as they feel it is more important to review the recent tour of the West Indies. They hope to gain valuable input from the players and support staff. "Once these processes have been achieved the selectors will name England's Twenty20 captain in due course," Miller said.

Cricinfo - No place for Strauss in England's Twenty20 squad
I really think Strauss should have been in.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bob Willis suggested on Sky a few weeks back that KP should wear the armband for this. The squad list seems to suggest that he will. ITSTL.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Flintoff as skipper in T20 wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. His workload can't be more than 4 overs, so it's not like it'd too much of a burden, compared to when he had the Test captaincy.

That being said, not sure if they'd give it to him and not sure if he'd want to do it anyway

four_or_six

I've seen Flintoff, Collingwood and Pietersen all say they weren't interested, but maybe one of them can be persuaded to change their minds. If not, I'd go for Dimi.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm sure any of those three can be persuaded to captain us for about five or six T20 games if there are enough pennies involved

oitoitoi

England's Preliminary T20 Squad Announced

Cricinfo - No place for Strauss in England's Twenty20 squad

Their squad's been announced, they don't seem to have learned much from last time. Rofl at Shaun Udal's selection, real eye to the future there...a lot of mediocrity IMO but in their home conditions some of these guys could be effective. Chris Woakes will never be an international quality player with his lack of pace and his T20 record is abysmal. Harmison somehow picked again, Ian bell's big hitting ability to be showcased on the world stage. A glorious return for Saj Mahmood, something I'm sure all England fans will be thrilled about. Gareth Batty still there, is his dad a selector or something? Eoin Morgan's selection leaves a sour taste in the mouth considering how many ODI's he's played for Ireland. Very suprised at Mustard's omission, he would have been ideal at the top of the order in England, much better than either Prior or Davies in T20.

I reckon the IPL's influence is going to show a lot of these players up, especially after this year's competition. They're so far behind tactically. I'm just so glad I don't support England.

Pick your side from the squad. Interestingly still no captain, I reckon Mascarenhas isn't a bad shout.

Last edited:

Shri

30 man squad:

Kevin Pietersen
Kabir Ali
James Anderson
Gareth Batty
Ian Bell
Ravi Bopara
Tim Bresnan
Stuart Broad
Paul Collingwood
Stephen Davies
Joe Denly
James Foster
Andrew Flintoff
Stephen Harmison
Rob Key
Sajid Mahmood
Dimitri Mascarenhas
Eoin Morgan
Graham Napier
Samit Patel
Liam Plunkett
Matt Prior
Adil Rashid
Owais Shah
Ryan Sidebottom
Graeme Swann
Chris Tremlett
Shaun Udal
Chris Woakes
Luke Wright.
My side would be:

1. Robert Key
2. Ravi Bopara
3. Kevin Pietersen
4. Owais Shah
5. Andrew Flintoff
6. Graham Napier
7. Dmitri Mascerenhas
8. Matt Prior
9. Stuart Broad
10. Graeme Swann
11. Liam Plunkett

Without the 30 men restriction, my line-up would be:

1. Ravi Bopara / Marcus Trescothick(a big gamble, but worth the risk if he gets going)
2. Phil Mustard
3. Kevin Pietersen
4. Dawid Malan
5. Tyron Henderson
6. Andrew Flintoff
7. Paul Collingwood / Owais Shah
8. Dmitri Mascarenhas
9. Mark Davies
10. Saqlain Mushtaq (Now eligible to play for England)
11. Chris Tremlett

Last edited:

oitoitoi

Cheers couldn't be bothered to post it.

No chance that they'll leave out Colly. Your side doesn't have a keeper!

1. Bopara
2. Flintoff (pinch hitting, don't expose him to the spinners early on)
3. Kevin Pietersen
4. Shah
5. Collingwood (partially for his fielding and bowling)
6. Mascarenhas (Cpt)
7. Graham Napier/Samit Patel
8. Foster (Wk) (I'd rather have Mustard, opening)
9. Plunkett/Kabir Ali (decent at the death)
10. Swann/Rashid
11. Anderson (new ball only, 4 overs flat out)

Lot's of bowling options, as much firepower as England can muster. Bats deep enough.

Last edited:

Shri

Why did'nt they pick Mark Davies or Adam Shantry or Malan?

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Agree with oitoitoi about Morgan. Poor form IMHO. Just because he's eligible doesn't mean we're obliged to pick him.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I've seen Flintoff, Collingwood and Pietersen all say they weren't interested, but maybe one of them can be persuaded to change their minds. If not, I'd go for Dimi.
Is he a cast iron for the XI? Wasn't even in the squad for the 20/20 versus the yarps last summer.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Why did'nt they pick Mark Davies or Adam Shantry or Malan?
Shantry has played 9 list A games in 6 years, and one T20 in 2004 when he bowled 2 overs for 31.

As for the others, well, **** knows. Particularly surprised by the omission of Strauss having been the one batsman to come back from the WI in credit, but hey, when you see something as lacking in rhyme or reason as this it's difficult to care.

four_or_six

Is he a cast iron for the XI? Wasn't even in the squad for the 20/20 versus the yarps last summer.
Dunno. Should be though, I reckon. I don't really know what happened last summer. He seemed to be doing okay and then he disappeared. And now he's reappeared.