• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Squad announced

four_or_six

I'm pretty happy with this squad, except for Rob Key who is hardly svelte enough himself to keep Samit Patel out.

And I would rather see Morgan playing for Ireland. All very well him making the swap, but should be when he's in contention for tests, not now.

four_or_six

Napier - picked on the back of a couple of innings last year, don't think he's done anything since. His bowling would be a liability at international level.
Napier is a really excellent T20 bowler. An average of less than 20 with an ER of 7.1 over 40 games. The batting might have given him a bit of publicity, but I really think he's worth his place for his bowling.

rivera213

I really like Napier's inclusion. I'd have him opening with Key, Pietersen @ 3, Bopara @ 4. That wont happen since the ECB see Bopara as a limited overs opener, but since Trescothick has retired, we haven't had a dictating opener and Napier could possibly dow that job (though obviously could completely flop with the higher quality of bowling. It's worth a rick though IMO).

I would've like Bresnan in there though, he's impressed me in the limited overs games I've seen. He offers more with the ball than Luke Wright and is getting better with the bat.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm pretty happy with this squad, except for Rob Key who is hardly svelte enough himself to keep Samit Patel out.

And I would rather see Morgan playing for Ireland. All very well him making the swap, but should be when he's in contention for tests, not now.
TBF to Fat Bob he has slimmed down quite a bit. The trouble is with his round, chubby chops he'll always look less than slender.

Still rather have had Sammy tho, tbh.

FBU

I remember last year when Pietersen made brought back Harmison to the Test side and said I want him to open the bowling and I want him in the ODI team. Now it seems as if Harmison can't get into the Test, ODI or 20/20 squads. Funny how quickly things change in cricket.:)

pasag

RTDAS
Might be minor, but it really annoys me how the headline is twisted around from the actual quote:

"It's embarrassing really, from his point of view, to be left out twice for the same reason."

to

'Patel should be embarrassed, says coach'

because that's not what he said.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Seems to be an interesting character. I wonder what would happen if he was ever picked for an Australian tour; might be a few people looking for some dough, I'd expect... :whistling:

aussie

KP Opening?

Given Morgan's big innings today, added to my reservations about Key opening. I'm tempted to make him a definite starter, so..

Bopara
KP
Shah
Freddie
Morgan
Collingwood
Foster
Mascarenhas
Swann
Broad
Anderson

Bangggg!!!

FBU

Given Morgan's big innings today, added to my reservations about Key opening. I'm tempted to make him a definite starter, so..

Bopara
KP
Shah
Freddie
Morgan
Collingwood
Foster
Mascarenhas
Swann
Broad
Anderson

Bangggg!!!
Pietersen isn't going to want to move from 3, it was hard enough getting him to move from 5.Flintoff is always saying he is a batting all rounder. Move him up to open. I certainly don't want to see Key playing just because he is an opener and Morgan being left out. If this is for the ODIs you have left out the captain.

Pietersen at
3 - 37.72
4 - 40.12
5 - 116.33

aussie

Pietersen isn't going to want to move from 3, it was hard enough getting him to move from 5.Flintoff is always saying he is a batting all rounder. Move him up to open. I certainly don't want to see Key playing just because he is an opener and Morgan being left out. If this is for the ODIs you have left out the captain.

Pietersen at
3 - 37.72
4 - 40.12
5 - 116.33
But Bopora needs a partner who can attack then first 6 overs. Since his role will be an anchor who blasts at the end.

Flintoff, Wright or Napier aint got the technique to open againts international attacks. While Key is likely to get stuck. So let KP open, the middle & lower order is strong enough, England can't afford to waste those 1st 6 overs.

TT Boy

Shame Davies wasn’t selected, as he could open with Ravi…

Bopara
Davies
KP
Morgan
Colly
Fred
Napier
Dimi
Broad
Swann
Jimmy

aussie

Shame Davies wasn’t selected, as he could open with Ravi…

Bopara
Davies
KP
Morgan
Colly
Fred
Napier
Dimi
Broad
Swann
Jimmy
Reckon this tournament has come a little be soon for Davies. Although he suits opening, its still early days & it would be a rough task to ask him to be the man to take advantage of those first 6 overs.

Oh if Trescothick where still playing...

Scaly piscine

Shah opens for Middlesex. So he should be the first one down as an opening bat because that's where England are short.

Not convinced by Bopara at all. Doesn't have much power and isn't much good with the bat. Has the mediocre T20 record to go with it.

King Pietersen

Shah doesn't open for Middlesex in T20 cricket, or he didn't last year anyway. He opened in 1 game for Middlesex last year, and made a 2nd ball duck. He's in woeful form as well, and wasn't even seen as good enough to get a game in the IPL, so I wouldn't have him opening for England, especially when we've got Key and a good young talent like Bopara who can open, and have opened quite a few times in T20 cricket. Bopara was very good for the Kings XI in the IPL and seems to really be developing his game as an OD opener. Personally I'd go with:

Key
Bopara
Pietersen
Collingwood *
Flintoff
Napier
Mascheranas
Foster +
Broad
Swann
Anderson

Not too sure about the amount of inconsistent all-rounders, so would be tempted to bring Morgan in for Napier if he doesn't fire, but the fact we bat decently all the way down to 10 means it shouldn't be much of a problem. I think we've got a decent team, certainly one that should be capable of being one of the contenders in the tournament, especially given home conditions.

Last edited:

Shri

Shah doesn't open for Middlesex in T20 cricket, or he didn't last year anyway. He opened in 1 game for Middlesex last year, and made a 2nd ball duck. He's in woeful form as well, and wasn't even seen as good enough to get a game in the IPL, so I wouldn't have him opening for England, especially when we've got Key and a good young talent like Bopara who can open, and have opened quite a few times in T20 cricket. Bopara was very good for the Kings XI in the IPL and seems to really be developing his game as an OD opener. Personally I'd go with:

Key
Bopara
Pietersen
Collingwood *
Flintoff
Napier
Mascheranas
Foster +
Broad
Swann
Anderson

Not too sure about the amount of inconsistent all-rounders, so would be tempted to bring Morgan in for Napier if he doesn't fire, but the fact we bat decently all the way down to 10 means it shouldn't be much of a problem. I think we've got a decent team, certainly one that should be capable of being one of the contenders in the tournament, especially given home conditions.
None of the limited overs World Cups have ever been won by the host country...

The only bowler in that line-up who can consistently bowl yorkers is Flintoff. The rest bowl either good length balls or overpitched balls, trying to get swing. They can be easily put away for runs once the ball loses the shine and swing(Anderson, Broad etc). If India plays England and Yusuf Pathan bats for 5 overs in the WC, he will make a 50. I am willing to take up an avatar challenge on this. Only concern for me is Napier getting lucky with his hits in some match. This side could be lethal is swinging conditions if teams take this side lightly though.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Key
Bopara
Pietersen
Collingwood *
Flintoff
Napier
Mascheranas
Foster +
Broad
Swann
Anderson

Shah has floated around in the order a bit as most T20 batsmen do, but from 2005 to 2007 he opened and he averaged 37 in that period.

I would much rather pick Shah than Key in T20. I don't really rate England's side in that format particularly with the bat, KP and Flintoff will generally scratch around and get out, our openers are competent at best which is obviously a key position, there should be some depth but that isn't going to turn 70-5 off 12 type scores into anything too defendable.

Last edited: