• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Favourite Rolling Stones album

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I always lean to Sticky Fingers. But the others of the big 4 are all in the argument along with Aftermath and Some Girls

Will give more detailed thoughts if anyone replies and wants to have this conversation. If not we will just quietly move on with our lives

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Interesting, had you pinned as an Exile guy

lib seems to get the least love of that big four but it's probably second for me.

Just can't get past Sticky Fingers. Every song is great. Really has the twin guitars shining, I love that

Pothas

Exile definitely was my favourite at some point, in fact I think each of the 4 has been. Let it Bleed has pretty much the best start of any album and almost manages to stay at that level the whole way through.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Sticky Fingers by a huge margin imo. Mick Taylor’s influence elevates the album over their surrounding work.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Let It Bleed though Out of Our Heads is the most fun tbh. (mostly covers tho so doesn't really count)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Out of Our Heads is great. Definitely the best of the 'early' covers filled albums

MW1304

Think I did a write-up of Exile in the CW top albums list a few years ago. Remains my favourite of theirs, but I'd understand choosing any album from that insane run.

mr_mister

Sticky Fingers or UK version of Aftermath

Mother's Little Helper, Under my Thumb and Out of time are all in my top 10 for songs they ever did but Sticky Fingers is definitely more consistent

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm not the most massive Stones fan, certainly compared to most of the contributors to the thread so far, LT seemingly excepted. I mean, I do like a lot of their music, and actually own 8 of their albums (I just had to check this), but wouldn't have them in the same bracket as The Kinks or The Who, much less The Beatles.

I think it's ironic they're so influential nowadays as they always struck me as absorbers of then-current trends rather than innovators of new ones. I mean Between The Buttons definitely sounds as if Mick had been listening to an awful lot of The Small Faces' & Kinks' more music hall-inspired stuff and Their Satanic Majesties Request is pretty much them trying on psychedelia for size and it proving an imperfect fit.

As to the question in hand I'm tempted to go for Let It Bleed because Gimme Shelter is a ****ing awesome opener by anyone's estimation and what follows nearly lives up to it, but going with the slightly greater consistency of Beggars Banquet. Street Fighting Man & Sympathy for the Devil both wonderfully evocative of the tumult of 68.

Lillian Thomson

I've never liked the Stones music. But I do chuckle a bit thinking back to the early 80's when the "New Romantics" came along and the pop bands were really naff. They criticized the Stones for still doing it at 40. Yet now most of those are in their late 50's and fragmented bits of the likes of Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet are still getting up on stage looking really bored and doing it purely for the money while the Stones are still rocking up and entertaining people in their mid 70's.