• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - Pakistan, England, Netherlands

Fusion

Global Moderator
It would be amazing for Dutch Cricket and World Cricket if they can somehow make the Super 8's.
I’ve heard a lot of these comments and I obviously disagree as a Pakistani fan. No team in the world needs a feel-good story like Pakistan. They have been completely isolated and marginalized. They need a strong performance in this tournament to remind the world that they still matter. As much as we would all like for the minnows to further their development, it can’t possibly be good for cricket that a major Test nation continues to wither away on and off the field.

Beleg

I’ve heard a lot of these comments and I obviously disagree as a Pakistani fan. No team in the world needs a feel-good story like Pakistan. They have been completely isolated and marginalized. They need a strong performance in this tournament to remind the world that they still matter. As much as we would all like for the minnows to further their development, it can’t possibly be good for cricket that a major Test nation continues to wither away on and off the field.
the 'major test nation' needs to prove themselves on the field first. which they manifestly haven't been doing...

ps: there's more than a little grandstanding and hyperbole involved in the post above. 'completely isolated and marginalised?' please, as it stands, pakistan doesn't deserve to host any international events owing to a lack of political transparency, infrastructural inadequacies and an inability to acknowledge self-deficiencies.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Not having that. If Pakistan go out they've another series against Sri Lanka coming up in under a month. If Netherlands fail the dream is over for another year at least.

Not just that though, the Netherlands come across as honest, hard-working cricketers (amateurs for the most part) making the most of their modest talents. Pakistan, let's just say, don't.

Fusion

Global Moderator
the 'major test nation' needs to prove themselves on the field first. which they manifestly haven't been doing...
I don't disagree at all. Their performance is pathetic. If they lose, they would fully deserve it. Doesn't change the fact that they are a major Test nation though. As such, their continued deterioration cannot be good for cricket. Any sport needs its major nations to matter in order to grow and prosper. Like them or hate them, Pakistan withering away will not be good for world cricket.

Edit: Meant to type "nations", not nation. Thanks for the kick in the pants Jamee. :-)

Last edited:

shivfan

Banned
Not having that. If Pakistan go out they've another series against Sri Lanka coming up in under a month. If Netherlands fail the dream is over for another year at least.

Not just that though, the Netherlands come across as honest, hard-working cricketers (amateurs for the most part) making the most of their modest talents. Pakistan, let's just say, don't.
I'm not sure I'd agree with that....
:cool:
However, I would just say that if the Dutch make 151, they deserve to go thru. Similarly, if Pakistan bounce back well to win this one convincingly, they deserve to go thru....

Uppercut

I'm not sure I'd agree with that....
:cool:
However, I would just say that if the Dutch make 151, they deserve to go thru. Similarly, if Pakistan bounce back well to win this one convincingly, they deserve to go thru....
Oh, for sure. Noone can say if Pakistan do go through that they don't deserve it. But i was just giving reasons why I'm supporting Netherlands.

Beleg

I don't disagree at all. Their performance is pathetic. If they lose, they would fully deserve it. Doesn't change the fact that they are a major Test nation though. As such, their continued deterioration cannot be good for cricket. Any sport needs its major nation to matter in order to grow and prosper. Like them or hate them, Pakistan withering away will not be good for world cricket.

it doesn't matter though. propping pakistan at the expense of certain basic principles is even more detrimental to the game of cricket. pakistan need to stand or fall on their own merits; their size, historical achievements and influence doesn't warrant the application of double standards.

ultimately, world cricket will only prosper if the constituent members are able to flourish in a healthy manner.

pakistanis need to realise that they'ren't bigger than the game of cricket.

tooextracool

To be fair to them, they barely play enough international cricket these days and the paucity of their domestic system and facillities makes is difficult for them to make any significant strides. It is very unfortunate that there is so much chaos politically in their country as well as amongst their cricketing board which is replicated with their national team which is just as unpredictable and precarious as their country. The only time they really looked like making progress was when Bob Woolmer was their coach and sadly he was cut off rather abruptly. Cricket has always been better with Pakistan than without especially with the sort of talent that their players still possess. Whilst there is a feel good factor to Netherlands making it through, we all know that they dont really have the system or the players to be a long term success story in international cricket, especially considering that any of their talents will attempt to play for England in the long run.

Shri

I don't disagree at all. Their performance is pathetic. If they lose, they would fully deserve it. Doesn't change the fact that they are a major Test nation though. As such, their continued deterioration cannot be good for cricket. Any sport needs its major nation to matter in order to grow and prosper. Like them or hate them, Pakistan withering away will not be good for world cricket.
Pakistan can survive no matter what with the fan base they have back home. This is one of the few chances for Holland. Nannes and group aren't exactly young and they are at their strongest now. This is their best chance at glory. This means more to Holland than it does to Pak.

Fusion

Global Moderator
ps: there's more than a little grandstanding and hyperbole involved in the post above. 'completely isolated and marginalised?' please, as it stands, pakistan doesn't deserve to host any international events owing to a lack of political transparency, infrastructural inadequacies and an inability to acknowledge self-deficiencies.
Climb down from the moral high horse please. Nowhere in my post did I say that Pakistanis are not responsible for their own predicament. They are isolated, and increasingly marginalized. If you don’t believe that, then we just have a different opinion. Also you have missed my entire point. The question is what would be better for world cricket: Pakistan winning or the Dutch advancing? I (with a fair bit of bias of course) say the former. As great as it would be for a minnow to advance, I think Pakistan bouncing back in International Cricket would be more useful for the betterment of the game.

Smith

Banned
This Zuiderent guy is one of the worst batsmen I've ever seen. I've watched him right from WC 96 and he has never impressed me in the least.

Spirited chase from Netherlands, much as my brain tells me Pakistan will have the last laugh, the heart wants NL to win this.

Smith

Banned
This Zuiderent guy is one of the worst batsmen I've ever seen. I've watched him right from WC 96 and he has never impressed me in the least.

Spirited chase from Netherlands, much as my brain tells me Pakistan will have the last laugh, the heart wants NL to win this.