• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Healthy Eating Habits

anil1405

How many of you here eat healthy and are proud of your food habits as its making you feel fit and healthy?

Food plays a major role in living a healthy lifestyle and unfortunately people of this generation are going through health complications for reasons like:

- Stress to make ends meet is more now than ever so people are struggling to live a happy life.
- Food corporates are staring in your face and telling you that their products are the best suited for you and your convenience when in reality they aren't really healthy. The worst part is, in an attempt to improve their sales corporates are even projecting healthy foods (that basically don't need any advertising) as stuff that aren't giving you enough nutrients your body need. Unfortunately we are getting sucked into it and are opting for convenient food brands like McDonald's etc. instead of cooking a healthy meal at home.
- In this fast paced world we all want convenience and its so easy to get attracted to tasty food that doesn't need any prep time.

I've just been recovering from mental health issues and the last hurdle for me in wanting to live a normal life is my lack of energy. I've been facing this issue for a long time now and also realise that my food habits are not entirely suited to give me the sufficient nutrients that the body needs to get me 100% charged.

Just wanted to know how pro-active are other people in this forum when it comes to maintaining a healthy diet and how aware are you about the food that is going into your body and the effect it is having on you, be it in a positive or negative way?

vcs

This is a big problem for me. I hate cooking and eat a lot of unhealthy crap. I also have a tendency to overeat.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Also, "tasty food that doesn't require any prep time" = salads, fish, and fruit.

Posted about it before, but my usual dinner on workdays involves getting some salmon, seasoning it quickly, putting it in the oven for about 20 minutes, during which time I chop up some vegetables for a salad. Will have some fruit afterwards usually. It is great and difficult to think of anything more simple really.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Also, most drinks you can buy from a store are basically poison. Especially carbonated soda and milkshakes. But also many juices and smoothies etc. Much better to just make these yourself if you have the time and inclination.

anil1405

Also, most drinks you can buy from a store are basically poison. Especially carbonated soda and milkshakes. But also many juices and smoothies etc. Much better to just make these yourself if you have the time and inclination.
Absolutely. There was this guy from Australia who created a documentary on this and went on high sugar diet to see the consequences it would have on his body. Can't remember the name now.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Absolutely. There was this guy from Australia who created a documentary on this and went on high sugar diet to see the consequences it would have on his body. Can't remember the name now.
Yeah, a good general guide, or starting point, is basically: if you are considering buying anything that is pre-made, don't.

anil1405

[video]https://archive.org/details/That.Sugar.Film.2014[/video]

That Sugar Film is a 2014 Australian documentary starring and directed by Damon Gameau. The film looks at hidden sugar in foods and the effect it can have on the human body.
The film follows Gameau's experiment on himself, changing from his normal diet containing no refined sugar, to a 'health-conscious' diet low in fat but high in sugar, equivalent to 200 grams (40 tsp) of sugar per day. As a result, Gameau gained weight, grew lethargic, and developed fatty liver disease. The sugar diet was selected such that his calorie intake was not increased from his normal diet.

Flem274*

123/5
sugar gets demonised a lot, especially by the sort of people who only buy overpriced organic rubbish and non gmo vegan rock salt. a block of chocolate isn't going to kill you, you're not a dog.

in saying all that in the past few months i've realised im in my late 20s and i need to take my diet more seriously.

i've purged fizzy drinks and high sugar juices/flavoured milks from my diet to 1 600mL a week maximum and i don't feel any different tbh. i just know it's going to benefit me long term. the only difference i've noticed is coke is overpoweringly sweet now. if i get a 600mL i'll usually take a couple of days to drink it.

dinner is definitely my trickiest one because i finish work so late. my go to lazy meal is toast. when im motivated i've been doing a few thai green curries lately. they're a tasty way to spam random vegetables into a meal.

weldone

Egg whites are probably the healthiest form of easily-available protein. Avoid yolk if you have cholesterol or obesity (don't have more than 1 or 2 yolks per day otherwise too) but the whites are good for almost everybody.

Last edited:

Niall

I like my job but the hours can be silly thus eating habits for so long was poor. Always thought I was one of those people who could eat anything and not put on weight but a good few months was close to 16 stones,tallish but path I was going....

Since then got a company to make my meals and have cut out pasta, fast food and a lot of crappy sammys you get in shops which often substituted as meals. Still have a sweet touch but in isolation.

Exercise is mainly walking many hours a week which is healthy and a great way to chill out and have a think in peace and quiet.

Do need to start going back to the gym more often though, used to years ago and didn't mind it but eh....

Might just stick a rowing machine in the gaff and a friend wants me to do yoga/pilates...:unsure:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
sugar gets demonised a lot, especially by the sort of people who only buy overpriced organic rubbish and non gmo vegan rock salt. a block of chocolate isn't going to kill you, you're not a dog.

in saying all that in the past few months i've realised im in my late 20s and i need to take my diet more seriously.

i've purged fizzy drinks and high sugar juices/flavoured milks from my diet to 1 600mL a week maximum and i don't feel any different tbh. i just know it's going to benefit me long term. the only difference i've noticed is coke is overpoweringly sweet now. if i get a 600mL i'll usually take a couple of days to drink it.

dinner is definitely my trickiest one because i finish work so late. my go to lazy meal is toast. when im motivated i've been doing a few thai green curries lately. they're a tasty way to spam random vegetables into a meal.
It's products that contain an excessive amount of sugar (which is a great many products tbh), rather than sugar itself, that is the major problem. Adding a sensible amount of sugar to stuff you make yourself probably will not do you much harm.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I live on chicken and eggs most of the time

if I didn't drink excessively I'd probably be a good weight by now. Ah well. **** it

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Lots of good nuggets from sledger here. Still dialing in my eating habits as I lose weight but I've got a long way to go.

I just finished a bowl of pasta to celebrate 30 lb loss while reading this thread. I might be missing the picture here.

Son Of Coco

The issue is not sugar itself, but how much is hidden in pre-made crap you can buy from the supermarket, including stuff that earns 5 star health ratings. The amount of 'healthy' breakfast food that has a shitload of sugar in it is an example. It can be incredibly difficult to find something that has less than 10g/100, let alone under 5.

Son Of Coco

Using honey as an equivalent to sugar also not a bad shout.
Yeah, this or maple syrup. Also, sweetening with fruit, or things like sweet potato in savoury dishes (doesn't work in everything, but is ok in dishes where it's not out of place).