• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Injury rehab/personal fitness thread

LongHopCassidy

Let's begin with a story.

Over-trained with the leggies last season, to the point where my right shoulder and left spinal-flanking muscle (erectus spinae, for SS' benefit) were basically non-functional for cricketing purposes.

Looking back, I wasn't bowling with spikes which caused my lower half to over-twist beyond the usual leggie's pivot with no traction on the pitch. Shoulder was probably RSI.

Any CWers out there who have recovered from back/shoulder/postural injuries?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, I rather limp-wristedly threw the upper left side of my back and shoulder out last Nov by sleeping funny. Well, I was arseholed and collapsed on my sofa.

I don't know what I did to it, but I woke up in a lot of pain and it was actual agony when I tried to do anything that used it at all. I have a pretty high pain threshold and a sporting lifetime spent playing in the scrum means I'm no stranger to back and/or neck niggles, but I just could not push through it.

Anyway, as luck would have it I had some seriously strong prescription pain meds left over from my bout of gall stones three years back so them and six weeks of doing eff all got me right.

Well, I still feel it now, but it's just another chronic ache that is one's lot at my age. I just slather on the ralgex now.

So, in short, Dr Brumby (the UK's most dangerously underqualified physician) recommends opiates.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm due knee reconstruction surgery in the next 8 weeks, as I've torn my ACL.

So the rehab for that will be fun.

Burgey

Had a frozen shoulder a year or two back. Had to have heaps of physio over months to get ROM back. Still not as good as it was before, but much better.

Marcuss

Had a few months of physio on a hip injury when I was 15 or so.
Have chronic lower back pain at the age of 20 and persistent problems with a knee and an ankle.
God knows how long my sporting career will last for.

Burgey

Had a few months of physio on a hip injury when I was 15 or so.
Have chronic lower back pain at the age of 20 and persistent problems with a knee and an ankle.
God knows how long my sporting career will last for.
What's the cause of your back problems? If you can find a way to sort that out, you might find it will alleviate your knee and ankle problems to at least an extent.

Back injuries often cause people to alter their gait, which leads to other problems

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I currently have a bulging disc L5/S1.

Kind of irritating, some days worse than others but the Chiro seems to be helping overall.

Marcuss

What's the cause of your back problems? If you can find a way to sort that out, you might find it will alleviate your knee and ankle problems to at least an extent.

Back injuries often cause people to alter their gait, which leads to other problems
Not entirely sure. Definitely postural, at least to some extent.
Knee problem is at least in someway unrelated too. Busted the soft tissue in my right knee playing touch rugby a fair few years back and it gives me grief once in a while. The back probably doesn't help matters.

If I do any form of prolonged running (15 minutes+) my left shoulder becomes really painful, almost as though there's an ache coming from withing the top of the humerus, and my arm goes a bit numb. Need to get that checked out.

Does beg the quesiton why I've taken up seam bowling.

social

True dat

Experienced pain in my back and thigh years ago with cause eventually being diagnosed as the way I was compensating with my posture to alleviate the pain from a torn rotator cuff in my shoulder

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'm like Chris Jericho. Just never ever get injured.

Edit: Can't wait to walk out of the office and fall down some stairs, now that I've said that.

Burgey

Not entirely sure. Definitely postural, at least to some extent.
Knee problem is at least in someway unrelated too. Busted the soft tissue in my right knee playing touch rugby a fair few years back and it gives me grief once in a while. The back probably doesn't help matters.

If I do any form of prolonged running (15 minutes+) my left shoulder becomes really painful, almost as though there's an ache coming from withing the top of the humerus, and my arm goes a bit numb. Need to get that checked out.

Does beg the quesiton why I've taken up seam bowling.
If your shoulder is hurting like that you're probably tensing up as to run. You likely don't even know you're doing it. Happens a lot in boxing/ martial arts training where you focus so much on what you're doing that you tense up to the point your muscles ache and you fatigue much faster. I only realised I was doing it when sensei told me to make a conscious decision to relax my shoulders when I train. Made a huge difference.

Plus my posture is pretty **** too.

Burgey

True dat

Experienced pain in my back and thigh years ago with cause eventually being diagnosed as the way I was compensating with my posture to alleviate the pain from a torn rotator cuff in my shoulder
****ing bizarre how we do that and don't even realise it.

Smudge

Yeah I currently have a bulging disc L5/S1.

Kind of irritating, some days worse than others but the Chiro seems to be helping overall.
My L5/S1 disc herniated. Which was just lovely, as it hit the sciatic nerve with regularity. Had a lumbar microdiscectomy 5 years ago. Still have occasional back pain, and also in the legs due to the back.

Attachments

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
My L5/S1 disc herniated. Which was just lovely, as it hit the sciatic nerve with regularity. Had a lumbar microdiscectomy 5 years ago. Still have occasional back pain, and also in the legs due to the back.
**** that sounds bad.

Yeh mine is currently hitting the nerve and at times I get a shooting sensation down my right leg, nothing as serious as what you had. How long after the microdiscectomy did it take before you could do normal physical activity again?

Smudge

I was playing indoor cricket about 2 months later, although the surgeon said 6 weeks would have been Ok.

Things that help me - back extensions lying on my stomach, I have done some yoga, and even a fair bit of walking. I need to get back into swimming though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Cheers for that. Yeah I keep getting told to swim, I enjoy it but just haven't made the effort to get to a pool/beach.

I'm walking heaps and doing some stretches but that's it.