• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is India's period of being the most dominant side in history already over?

Top_Cat

TC I had to withstand 12 days in Adelaide.

Serious question, how does one buy groceries there after 5pm? Everything is shut.
Next time, you might want to venture wider than ten square metres from your hotel room foyer. Every Coles/Woolworths is open until 9pm, 24hr places staffed by people from all parts of India abound in the CBD and there's BP's everywhere.

That or call me when you're in Adelaide for the 3rd time without contacting me for a beer/coffee/net.

*hurt feelings*

pasag

RTDAS
Zaheer is a bit like Fred towards the end there. If he plays it's a bonus but really shouldn't be considered a part of the side in any serious discussion.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Next time, you might want to venture wider than ten square metres from your hotel room foyer. Every Coles/Woolworths is open until 9pm, 24hr places staffed by people from all parts of India abound in the CBD and there's BP's everywhere.

That or call me when you're in Adelaide for the 3rd time without contacting me for a beer/coffee/net.

*hurt feelings*
Lol, I didn't have time to scratch my arse this time I was there, but I'm sure I'll be there again at some point. Will definitely need to grab a beer and completely own you during a net session :ph34r:

Woolworths though is closed at 5pm on a Sunday. Come on now!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I think India definately had a chance to completely dominate back 2/3 years ago but now they concentrate too much on t20 and IPL is where they find their players, they need a decent system to find test quality players, not a guy who can slog the hell out of the park- people as promising as Karthik who I thought could have and should have been up there by now are lacking in the team and as soon as the big guns retire they are gonna need to remodel .
I think the next target of India is to win the next world cup, the upcoming tests take a back seat. We have a series of ODIs scheduled later in the year in India and the concentration seems to be on strengthening the ODI team and finding the right team in that format.

After World Cup, with the tour of Australia coming up, test cricket will again take priority.

India care for the India-South Africa tests before the WC and I reckon they will have their best team in that tournament (which includes Zaheer) and it will be a fantastic series but India is not going to bring their best team to the park in any other test series before the world cup, if there is one scheduled.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Lol, I didn't have time to scratch my arse this time I was there, but I'm sure I'll be there again at some point. Will definitely need to grab a beer and completely own you during a net session :ph34r:

Woolworths though is closed at 5pm on a Sunday. Come on now!
Ah, Sundays. Yeah, got me there. There's a Foodland open until 10pm on Sundays. Yes, just one.

Anyway back on topic, I'm siding with guys who reckon India never had a period of dominance. Getting to number 1 isn't quite the same.

Stapel

This thread still alive? I don't mean to pick on anybody, but the suggestion that India ever had a position of dominance is simply ridiculous. That's pretty much all there is to say, not?

G.I.Joe

This thread still alive? I don't mean to pick on anybody, but the suggestion that India ever had a position of dominance is simply ridiculous. That's pretty much all there is to say, not?
You'll have to excuse pasag. He's.......how to put this delicately?......He's a bit 'special'. :ph34r:

Sir Alex

Banned
Sri Lanka v India:2-0 series win not enough for SL to become No. 1 | Cricket News | Sri Lanka v India | Cricinfo.com

Haha.. India's ranking points improved by a whopping 6 points actually! :wacko:

Code:
Team  	  Matches  	Points  	Rating
India  	        27 	3500 	130
South Africa 	29 	3463 	119
Australia 	34 	3830 	113
England 	34 	3785 	111
Sri Lanka 	19 	2115 	111
Pakistan 	18 	1513 	84
West Indies 	21 	1668 	79
New Zealand 	25 	1946 	78
Bangladesh 	19 	131 	7
According to ICC FAQ , "It is quite often the case that there are a number of teams in the 90-110 range. These teams are of broadly similar standard. A rating above 120 suggests consistently strong performances. Above 130 is rarely achieved and suggests a high degree of dominance over all other teams."

vcs

Sri Lanka v India:2-0 series win not enough for SL to become No. 1 | Cricket News | Sri Lanka v India | Cricinfo.com

Haha.. India's ranking points improved by a whopping 6 points actually! :wacko:

Code:
Team  	  Matches  	Points  	Rating
India  	        27 	3500 	130
South Africa 	29 	3463 	119
Australia 	34 	3830 	113
England 	34 	3785 	111
Sri Lanka 	19 	2115 	111
Pakistan 	18 	1513 	84
West Indies 	21 	1668 	79
New Zealand 	25 	1946 	78
Bangladesh 	19 	131 	7
According to ICC FAQ , "It is quite often the case that there are a number of teams in the 90-110 range. These teams are of broadly similar standard. A rating above 120 suggests consistently strong performances. Above 130 is rarely achieved and suggests a high degree of dominance over all other teams."
Woo-hoo! ICC have finally ironed out all their kinks in their ranking system IMO. :ph34r:

I dont think anyone is claiming that the current Indian side is even remotely comparable to 80s WI and Aus 90s/00s.They do have a case for being the best side in the world ATM though.Their bowling may be crap but their batting compensates for that.It is the results that matter in the end...I believe India haven't lost a series since 2008.For all the criticism of their away record,they haven't done too badly.They haven't won series in Aus and SA but it's not like they have been getting slaughtered.2-1 is hardly a bad result and one musn't forget the circumstances under which India lost in Aus.Besides,none of the current sides have great recent away records with the possible exception of SA but then their home record has been average.