• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is the world becoming more racist?

Francis

Simple question: Is the world becoming more racist?

Watching the US Presidential race between Trump and Hilary, watching the Brexit, and watching Pauline Hanson getting four, possibly six senate seats in the Australian parliament, I must remark: There seems to be a tinge of hatred against immigrants and Muslims in all three of these streams.

I must preface my remarks by stating that being anti-immigration doesn't qualify you as being a racist or bigoted. However, it's when people start discriminating against "types" of immigrants that I become concerned. When asked why people don't want immigrants, people begin discriminating against immigrants.

It's difficult to say why Trump has been so popular. However, there are signs that he's becoming less popular and will eventually run out of steam. However, he's really captured some core issues - the biggest being immigration, and in particular, he's pointing the finger at Islam frequently. When he talks about banning Muslims, it seems to strike at the hearts of Americans, for some sadistic reason.

The Brexit is the least of the three examples of racism, and yet there does seem to be an undercurrent of dislike of immigration. The British want a sense of sovereignty over who they let into their country, and felt that by remaining in the EU, they were sacrificing their rights.

Lastly, Pauline Hanson has most probably four and possibly SIX senate seats in Australia. Now, I require an Australian to tell me how the Aussie system works, but I know who Pauline Hanson is... This... is... not... good... Reading reports coming out of Australia, it seems like she's really honed on a racist red-neck hatred of Muslims in getting into parliament.

So the question: Is the world becoming more racist?

Hurricane

I don't see anything good coming from this discussion.

It will either turn into a fight to see who can make the most PC-like post. Or some troll using it as a stage to do a toolman. I vote it be locked right from the get go. Despite the fact we may miss out on on one or two good comments. I would see most discerning posters seeing this as a powder keg topic and just choosing to observe (wisely) from the sidelines.

My two cents anyway.

Francis

I can understand your concerns Hurricane. It's certainly not my intention to create a thread that serves as a "powder keg." Rather I think we can all behave as adults and discuss what are the underlining factors that are leading people to vote for Trump and Hanson. Is there racism or not? What accounts for their popularity?

But I leave it in the hands of James, and if Jono thinks that this thread should be closed, we should all accept that in the spirit of permissiveness.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
It depends. Racism isn't just an attitude, but a series of systems that disadvantages people who aren't white (or those who are not of the demographic in power). In that sense, perhaps there are less racist systems in overt terms - like repealing of Jim Crow laws, White Australia policy, etc, but the attitudes still exist in various halls of power (US Police being the obvious one).

If we're talking general attitudes from society, I can't really say. I started typing a lengthy opinion on this but I really have no clue, but what I know is the internet has given more buffoons platforms than ever before so it probably seems like there are a lot more, but given historical photos regarding desegregation etc. and the amount of whites involved in protests against it and assaults on African-Americans in white only sections of cafes etc. it's possibly around the same level.

Actually I'd say there are less out-and-out proud racists but far more "I'm not racist, but" 's out there now.

NZTailender

I can understand your concerns Hurricane. It's certainly not my intention to create a thread that serves as a "powder keg." Rather I think we can all behave as adults and discuss what are the underlining factors that are leading people to vote for Trump and Hanson. Is there racism or not? What accounts for their popularity?

But I leave it in the hands of James, and if Jono thinks that this thread should be closed, we should all accept that in the spirit of permissiveness.
"they say what everyone is thinking, even if it's only for a split second"

watson

Banned
Many of todays borders and cities exist because of racism. Some were drawn as a result of colonialism, but for the most part they exist because one racial group was trying to keep another racial group out. Of course it's not that simple, so we should expand that to one racial/cultural group was trying to keep another racial/cultural group out.

Whether we like it or not all available evidence points to the fact that human beings are inherently and intrinsically racist, tribal and xenophobic. Like all other human traits these traits are not absolute but instead occur on a sliding scale. Personally, I have known few people who are not racist, tribal or xenophobic to some extent. Fortunately for me these things have been minimal most of the time, but certainly not all of the time.

As a society we can suppress humanity's natural impulse by creating a Civil Society that promotes equality and harmony, while at the same time penalising hate crime. But the minute any Civil Society collapses due to war or economic circumstances then the abhorrent side of human nature manifests itself. People become selfish and form bonds according to what feels familiar and safe.

The problem for all politicians is to be both idealistic and pragmatic at the same time. To balance their wishful thinking with reality.

Last edited:

social

I spent a bit of time in the car last week and heard interviews with a number of candidates.

Scary thing is that Hanson made more sense than most of them.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
People have always been dire. Globalisation and technological development has mostly just allowed them to make their direness louder, more coordinated and more widespread.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
We are becoming less racist imo. There was much more racism against blacks say earlier. The internet and people being more mobile makes them see different people and in most cases there is more understanding of various cultures etc.

G.I.Joe

I don't know if the world has become more racist. I do think that greater exposure has had the unfortunate consequence of converting overt racism to casual racism because the latter is more difficult to prove and weed out.

Black_Warrior

Simple question: Is the world becoming more racist?

Watching the US Presidential race between Trump and Hilary, watching the Brexit, and watching Pauline Hanson getting four, possibly six senate seats in the Australian parliament, I must remark: There seems to be a tinge of hatred against immigrants and Muslims in all three of these streams.

I must preface my remarks by stating that being anti-immigration doesn't qualify you as being a racist or bigoted. However, it's when people start discriminating against "types" of immigrants that I become concerned. When asked why people don't want immigrants, people begin discriminating against immigrants.

It's difficult to say why Trump has been so popular. However, there are signs that he's becoming less popular and will eventually run out of steam. However, he's really captured some core issues - the biggest being immigration, and in particular, he's pointing the finger at Islam frequently. When he talks about banning Muslims, it seems to strike at the hearts of Americans, for some sadistic reason.

The Brexit is the least of the three examples of racism, and yet there does seem to be an undercurrent of dislike of immigration. The British want a sense of sovereignty over who they let into their country, and felt that by remaining in the EU, they were sacrificing their rights.

Lastly, Pauline Hanson has most probably four and possibly SIX senate seats in Australia. Now, I require an Australian to tell me how the Aussie system works, but I know who Pauline Hanson is... This... is... not... good... Reading reports coming out of Australia, it seems like she's really honed on a racist red-neck hatred of Muslims in getting into parliament.

So the question: Is the world becoming more racist?
Not necessarily more or less. I think we were always racist and tribalistic. It's just that humanity is more connected now than ever before..as a result we are coming face to face with each other and it's hitting us right in the face..especially in multi cultural countries like USA, UK or Australia.

100 years ago this wasn't the case..hence those racist prejudices and instincts remained dormant.

Take this forum for example..which can serve as a microcosm of the world.. Cricket fans are gathered here from all parts of the world, we all have our national biases which quite often leads to ugly spats and arguments.

100 years ago, this forum would not exist..so the same cricket fans would have been isolated in their own shell..and not have to face cricket fans from another region of the world.

A few hundred years ago, most civilizations were not even aware each other..let alone know them.

Now what has happened in the last 100 years is the rise and emergence of the nation states built on the idea of nationalism. This concept is preached and indoctrinated at a very early stage, in schools, just like a religion, with national anthems and flags and rituals and special days. So a few generations have grown up with their sense of identity strongly tied to that.
Fast forward to 21st century and we have a more globalised world, where nationalism is losing relevance by the day. It's now the age of corporations and alliances and the world is now divided into 'regions' rather than 'nations'. Global organisations around the world don't think of countries as isolated entities but a group of countries as one single market in one region. This is there all around us..in the marketing of products, in mainstream media, on the internet.

The rise of UKIP in UK or Reclaim Australia or Tea Party in America is the last attempt of those generations who grew up indoctrinated with an idea of nationalism that says you are superior just for being born in a certain country to hold on to their sense of identity.
If you take a look at a subway carriage at peak time London, you will get a sense of the reality of the world - and when a person who is brought up with a certain kind of English nationalism is confronted with that reality, it gets translated into the emergence of Nigel Farrage or Pauline Hansons of the world.

Edit: Didn't mean to pick on the English. Just used that as an example..just as true for any other part of the world.

Last edited:

Uppercut

I don't think so. Old people are more racist than everyone and they're dying off. OTOH, the cultural backlash against anti-racism is definitely becoming stronger.

NZTailender

People have always been dire. Globalisation and technological development has mostly just allowed them to make their direness louder, more coordinated and more widespread.
I don't know if the world has become more racist. I do think that greater exposure has had the unfortunate consequence of converting overt racism to casual racism because the latter is more difficult to prove and weed out.
Essentially what I wanted to say.

NZTailender

Scary thing is that Hanson made more sense than most of them.
Please explain.

But seriously, someone can make sense on highlighting the disenfranchisement of the average voter due to increased inequality and being ignored by mainstream politicians, but then be batshit insane with their solutions or reasons why it happened in the first place i.e. let's have an inquiry into Islam.

NZTailender

What gets me about people who support Trump, Hanson et al is their "they say what everyone's thinking" attitude, which to me implies they think that everyone is consciously racist but those who preach tolerance and love are being facetious, PC liars while anyone who backs up their own view must be truthful.

But then if your reason for voting for those candidates is believing that we all somehow have a shared consciousness and singular line of thinking that some are truthful about and others aren't, then I guess you're dumb enough to vote for those morons.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

I don't think so. Old people are more racist than everyone and they're dying off. OTOH, the cultural backlash against anti-racism is definitely becoming stronger.
No disagreement there. I referred to a those generations that grew up with a certain indoctrinated sense of national identity but I wouldn't say they are necessarily dying off. People in their 40s today would fall in that category too and they have a lot of time left.
Kids growing up today will be different because I don't think today's kids are growing up with that same sense of national identity..at least in the Western world. Asia is still the hotbed of indoctrinated nationalism

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Actual racism is quite rare. The numbers are inflated by dickheads just latching onto anything in order to cause trouble, whether it be race, religion, gender or mushy peas lovers.

Son Of Coco

People are becoming dumber. Actually, that's probably not true. There's the same amount of ignorant, dumb people, it's just that now they have access to more forms of communication to spread their own special brand of stupid. And stupid people tend to be more likely to be racist.