• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kids

Teja.

Global Moderator
There are a lot of couples in this generation who’re opting not to have kids due to high costs, ability to enjoy early retirement etc.

Do you currently plan to have a kid(s)? If you already do, are you planning to have more?

I’m conflicted tbh, emotionally, the thought appears appealing enough but it’s a lot of emotional variance, effort and very high cost and the fact that I’m even conflicted makes me sure that I’m not ready any time soon.

Uppercut

Sometimes I find it appealing.

I try not to talk about this because people find it weird and dark and sometimes take it personally, but I think it’s probably unethical. Basically I really hated growing up and wouldn’t want to inflict that on anyone else.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Sometimes I find it appealing.

I try not to talk about this because people find it weird and dark and sometimes take it personally, but I think it’s probably unethical. Basically I really hated growing up and wouldn’t want to inflict that on anyone else.
Haha, my girlfriend oscillates sometimes to the exact same concern. Have you looked into anti-natalism, UC?

zorax

likes this
I want to adopt. World's got a lot of struggling and abandoned children, and if I have the means to raise one I should help one of them out instead of making my own

I'd love to be able to afford 9-10 kids so I can have my own cricket team tbh.

Last edited:

anil1405

I want to adopt. World's got a lot of struggling and abandoned children, and if I have the means to raise one I should help one of them out instead of making my own

I'd love to be able to afford 9-10 kids so I can have my own cricket team tbh.
Still less than the number of teams you support. :D

anil1405

There are a lot of couples in this generation who’re opting not to have kids due to high costs, ability to enjoy early retirement etc.

Do you currently plan to have a kid(s)? If you already do, are you planning to have more?

I’m conflicted tbh, emotionally, the thought appears appealing enough but it’s a lot of emotional variance, effort and very high cost and the fact that I’m even conflicted makes me sure that I’m not ready any time soon.
I was always doubtful about wanting kids because of my fears and anxiety (since childhood). Now I have recovered very well from anxiety issues but the feeling of not wanting kids has grown stronger and stronger and I am pretty much certain now.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The missus and me have decided we don't want kids.

So if anyone would like to pop round and collect them, free of charge, that'd be awesome.

I'm here all week

Uppercut

Haha, my girlfriend oscillates sometimes to the exact same concern. Have you looked into anti-natalism, UC?
I’m aware of it because it crops up in other equally bleak stuff that I read, but I’ve not looked into it in too much detail. I don’t know if I’m quite anti-natalist exactly, I just wouldn’t want to be born again so I don’t want to impose that on someone else haha. Though I do think a lot of people have morals that aren’t consistent with not being anti-natalist. Glaring violation of the no-harm principle, for example.

Flem274*

123/5
i think i'd like one or two but i'm terrified it will annoy me and i'll throw it at the wall or i'll forget to feed it or something. plus the stupid things steal your missus' titties for months and make her life objectively more difficult.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I have no strong feelings on the matter.

But like anything in life, if the prospect began to appeal to me, I guess I would actively pursue it.

It strikes of one of those things where it is easy to put the cart before the horse. Don't even ask yourself this sort of question unless you are convinced your partner is the right person to go through such a process with (or if you deliberately have no partner and want to go through it alone I suppose). If you're not sure about this, then the answer to the question of whether to have kids should definitely be "no".

Burgey

Kids are wonderful. Sure, they're a financial drain and basically a handbrake on extensive travel and financial security for a lot of years, but fmd if you don't love them unconditionally and ride the ups and downs vicariously with them.

My two are finishing their last school exams this week, and tbh I couldn't be prouder of who they are and the people they've become. That and the fact I get to stop paying child support in January means I'm currently looking upon them most favourably.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I’m aware of it because it crops up in other equally bleak stuff that I read, but I’ve not looked into it in too much detail. I don’t know if I’m quite anti-natalist exactly, I just wouldn’t want to be born again so I don’t want to impose that on someone else haha. Though I do think a lot of people have morals that aren’t consistent with not being anti-natalist. Glaring violation of the no-harm principle, for example.
The other element is that having a kid has a bigger increase on your carbon footprint than basically any other life choice you can make. So you can make the case it's not only morally dubious on the kid you're brining into the world but also on the rest of the world already living.