• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kony

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
KONY 2012 on Vimeo

While I don't think it's right to do something like this just to feel good about yourself, or for a sense of identity, I do think it's the right thing to do.

Hopefully this can be a starting point to push situations like this into the mainstream. It might have its flaws, but the stupidest thing to do would be to focus on them, and then do nothing at all.

Praying for all those in Africa, Australia and elsewhere who are hurt, sad and crying. God is in control, and will bring eternal justice.

Ta. :)

andyc

Sceptical about this whole thing. He's a douche, no doubt about that, but some sources are indicating that the charity isn't completely above water. Have read others indicating that LRA hasn't been active in Uganda for 5 years now.

Still, always interesting to see a viral campaign take off.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, it's nice to see something being done against the bad people in the world. But their own financial statement (p. 6) says they only spent a third of their income on services in Uganda. Also, surely the last 10 years have shown that it's a not always a great idea to commit a whole bunch of troops to bring down a despotic leader.

Last edited:

SirBloody Idiot

I'm not completely certain about the charity behind it, granted, but it depends a bit on what their aims are. As far as I can see, a huge part of it involves creating films to raise awareness - whether that could amount to 40-50% I don't know. They had to know that there was going to be scrutiny over the charity once this video came out, so you'd like to think this isn't that shady - particularly with a guy like Ocampo on board.

It is a great video for the most part, though.

EDIT: The Tumblr post does make a pretty good point here:

Military intervention may or may not be the right idea, but people supporting KONY 2012 probably don’t realize they’re supporting the Ugandan military who are themselves raping and looting away. If people know this and still support Invisible Children because they feel it’s the best solution based on their knowledge and research, I have no issue with that. But I don’t think most people are in that position, and that’s a problem.
The Foreign Affairs article is a good read, too.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Sceptical about this whole thing. He's a douche, no doubt about that, but some sources are indicating that the charity isn't completely above water. Have read others indicating that LRA hasn't been active in Uganda for 5 years now.

Still, always interesting to see a viral campaign take off.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, it's nice to see something being done against the bad people in the world. But their own financial statement (p. 6) says they only spent a third of their income on services in Uganda. Also, surely the last 10 years have shown that it's a not always a great idea to commit a whole bunch of troops to bring down a despotic elader.
Yeah, good man Nady. Hope it's not completely transparent.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
**** that. Explain to me how you have to have always cared about something in order to start.
Was being disingenuous tbh.

It's a good cause no doubt (or at least from my understanding of things it is), just found the pic amusing.

Howe_zat

Yeah, sorry I kind of snapped at you there. I've just seen the pic a few times already and it bugged me.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, sorry I kind of snapped at you there. I've just seen the pic a few times already and it bugged me.
Ah no worries. Was just making the observation that one of the negative aspects of these sorts of campaigns is that you get people crawling out of the woodwork who have no intention to actually support or put any effort into supporting whatever the cause is, but attempt to gain personal recognition by expressing some sort of affiliation with its core beliefs etc...

Then again, all publicity is good publicity etc...Maybe I shouldn't be so cynical.

PhoenixFire

Also, surely the last 10 years have shown that it's a not always a great idea to commit a whole bunch of troops to bring down a despotic elader.
The troops were only intended for the training role I think, according to the video. It's not some sort of liberal intervention.

Might have a look at more about the company and the bloke first, but it looks like a great idea.

G.I.Joe

Jason Russell, Bobby Bailey and Laren Poole, the filmmakers who founded Invisible Children and made Kony 2012..

G.I.Joe

On the assumption that I have not been had, I'll say that I like how the picture brings out the smouldering passion in their eyes.

PhoenixFire

Don't reckon it's a particularly inditing picture in all honesty. Bit of a daft thing to do, but we all know how easy it is for pictures to get taken out on context.

Uppercut

Something about the whole campaign doesn't quite agree with me. Charity is about helping people that in unfortunate situations, but all of the noises coming out of Kony 2012 are about how evil the guy is. What kind of a charity bases its appeals around a hate figure?