• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2018

Spark

Global Moderator
Home means you have ability in one set of circumstances. Away means you have ability in a number of circumstances. Home performance only could be an accident of birth. Away (multiple locations) is a range of skils
I think the "why are home Tests less important than away Tests" has some merit - it's related to the sorts of arguments which were trotted out to delegitimize Sehwag, for example - but to be honest it's not super applicable to Australia, who just flat out cannot bat away from home with literally one exception (his ban isn't actually that relevant in that consideration). You cannot be that incompetent in half the Tests you play and be taken that seriously.

stephen

Honestly Maxwell's ton in India should have given him huge amounts of credit in the bank. At least a gig at some point during the summer.

Maybe under the next regime players will be picked more in merit than on whether the captain likes them.

Spark

Global Moderator
Honestly Maxwell's ton in India should have given him huge amounts of credit in the bank. At least a gig at some point during the summer.

Maybe under the next regime players will be picked more in merit than on whether the captain likes them.
Yeah people are kidding themselves if they think the "cultural problems" in Aus cricket are about sledging and siege mentality stuff. That's your classic tip of the iceberg thing there.

Daemon

It was the imitation Maxwell did of Smith for the Ashes 2017 game that pissed the weirdo off even further imo

Marius

Read that Faf didn't know we'd beaten Aus at home before. I suppose professional cricketers aren't the insufferable cricket anoraks most of us here are.

Starfighter

Considering that SA's pre-readmission cricket history seems to be something that's quite hushed up over there I'm a bit less surprised than I otherwise would have been.

SeamUp

Considering that SA's pre-readmission cricket history seems to be something that's quite hushed up over there I'm a bit less surprised than I otherwise would have been.
Read that Faf didn't know we'd beaten Aus at home before. I suppose professional cricketers aren't the insufferable cricket anoraks most of us here are.
It is disappointing. I did take Faf as a learned sort of guy but CSA certainly don't look to take much of an effort pre-92 unfortunately.

Even though Northern Transvaal became competitive in the 80s I'm sure the Titans acknowledged their union produced the likes of Eddie Barlow, Tiger Lance and Denis Lindsay from that 1970 team.

Marius

It is disappointing. I did take Faf as a learned sort of guy but CSA certainly don't look to take much of an effort pre-92 unfortunately.

Even though Northern Transvaal became competitive in the 80s I'm sure the Titans acknowledged their union produced the likes of Eddie Barlow, Tiger Lance and Denis Lindsay from that 1970 team.
Ah, Denis Lindsay, greatest thing to come out of Benoni since the N12.

srbhkshk

He probably spends his free time coming up with new and innovative situations where he can take his shirt off.

Singh767

Most players and fans regard the winning of away series as infinitely more difficult than winning home series - this is not exactly a fringe belief here.
England have the worst test away record bar Bangladesh and Zimbabwe .... The test team of the last few years away from home gives the Atherton era a run for its money.

Last edited:

Dendarii

He probably spends his free time coming up with new and innovative situations where he can take his shirt off.
Does he actually bother coming up with situations? Isn't his thought process more like "Would it be inappropriate to take my shirt off now?", and if the answer is yes then it's "Would I still be able to get away with it if I did?".

Marius

Does he actually bother coming up with situations? Isn't his thought process more like "Would it be inappropriate to take my shirt off now?", and if the answer is yes then it's "Would I still be able to get away with it if I did?".
After Faf's apprarance in the Durban stairwell during the De Kock-Warner incident someone on Twitter said they expected him to do the PE toss wearing just a towel.