• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** County Cricket 2018

theegyptian

Pretty crushing stuff for Hampshire and weatherly. 6 required off the last 2 overs 4 down and with Weatherley in on a hundred and Taylor on 50 and they lose by 1 run.

cpr

Lancs contriving to lose games they have firm control over is getting pretty grim

SeamUp

Good to see Fisher back from injury. Saq Mahmood needs to get back pronto.

Also Matt Parkinson seems to be able to combine wickets and RPO.

S.Kennedy

In their infinite wisdom Durham see Tom Latham, 37 one-day innings opening for New Zealand, averaging 38, as a quintessential number five. Collingwood opening, and Ryan Pringle at three, are just two of the players who've played above Latham!

Marcuss

In their infinite wisdom Durham see Tom Latham, 37 one-day innings opening for New Zealand, averaging 38, as a quintessential number five. Collingwood opening, and Ryan Pringle at three, are just two of the players who've played above Latham!
Can’t believe you haven’t mentioned this sooner....

theegyptian

Latham is fine where he is batting. He's been batting there for NZ for a while and doing fine. The rest of the personal is **** is the problem. Collingwood to open was wrong imo. Should have just kept him in the middle order with Latham (which would have made a strongish middle order) and put your cleanest strikers of the ball to open.

I notice Ryan Davies has been playing some 2s cricket for durham and in the squad for the previous game but not played. Was thrown into it a bit early at Somerset as keeper so has some pretty terrible stats but imo could be a pretty decent player who strikes the ball pretty well. Was just starting to put together biggish scores in 2nd team cricket and club cricket in the latter parts of 2017. Was half hoping Gloucestershire picked him up on trial. Durham could do worse than giving him a few games.

S.Kennedy

Latham is fine where he is batting. He's been batting there for NZ for a while and doing fine. The rest of the personal is **** is the problem. Collingwood to open was wrong imo. Should have just kept him in the middle order with Latham (which would have made a strongish middle order) and put your cleanest strikers of the ball to open.

I notice Ryan Davies has been playing some 2s cricket for durham and in the squad for the previous game but not played. Was thrown into it a bit early at Somerset as keeper so has some pretty terrible stats but imo could be a pretty decent player who strikes the ball pretty well. Was just starting to put together biggish scores in 2nd team cricket and club cricket in the latter parts of 2017. Was half hoping Gloucestershire picked him up on trial. Durham could do worse than giving him a few games.
Leaving aside the weird Colly and Pringle things, Latham should be behind Steel and Clark?

theegyptian

If he bats well through the middle overs, plays spin well, rotates the strike nicely and remains calm - all qualities I think Latham has then he probably is well suited to bat in the middle order. Latham is going to be a better opener or middle order bat than Steel, clark, pringle etc as they are average and he is an international test and odi batsman- but he can only bat in one position.

Whether it would be better for the team to open or bat in the middle order is up for debate but I'd guess it's pretty close (based on the merits of the other players) so hardly a thing to merit pages of discussion and upset.

S.Kennedy

If he bats well through the middle overs, plays spin well, rotates the strike nicely and remains calm - all qualities I think Latham has then he probably is well suited to bat in the middle order. Latham is going to be a better opener or middle order bat than Steel, clark, pringle etc as they are average and he is an international test and odi batsman- but he can only bat in one position.

Whether it would be better for the team to open or bat in the middle order is up for debate but I'd guess it's pretty close (based on the merits of the other players) so hardly a thing to merit pages of discussion and upset.
Causing a lot of bewilderment and grumbles in the members' is all I''l say. I'd go Latham, Steel, Richardson, Clark, Smith, Poynter, Harte. No Ryan Pringles!!

theegyptian

Surrey have TCurran, Morkel and Stoneman back in their squad for tomorrow. Roy only recently returned too.

I think I said two weeks ago I doubt they'd win the championship because they don't win enough home games. But then they produced that result wicket at home (and thrashed yorkshire) and I remembered they had signed Morkel+ Stoneman now likely to be back for the season. They are looking kind of good for the championship even if Kohli doesn't turn up. Plus no-one else looks that great.

straw man

Latham is fine where he is batting. He's been batting there for NZ for a while and doing fine.
That's right, Latham didn't succeed as ODI opener so he's now batting at 5 for NZ and has the gloves too. He's done very well touring the subcontinent in that position as he plays spin well, but had struggled at home up until the most recent series where he finally scored a few runs.

theegyptian

Kohler-Cadmore having a good 50 over season. Fisher just getting Yorkshire over the line.

Sam Curran with the callup to the test team as injury cover for Stokes. If he did play I'd like to see him open the bowling with anderson. Broad really isn't a big new ball wickettaker- at least as far as I know. Curran wouldn't add any extra pace but least offers left arm variation.

Last edited:

fredfertang

I know it's Leicestershire, and only some Mickey Mouse 50 over stuff, and he'll probably get out now I've posted this, but good to see Hameed get a few at last