• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

Uppercut

My proposed solution:

1. Make fake plans to get it back up and running
2. Players refuse on safety grounds, fair enough
3. Clubs give players massive pay cuts since they're refusing to work, also fair enough
4. Fall in wage bills prevents financial collapse in the immediate term
5. Finish the season in a year.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
My proposed solution:

1. Make fake plans to get it back up and running
2. Players refuse on safety grounds, fair enough
3. Clubs give players massive pay cuts since they're refusing to work, also fair enough
4. Fall in wage bills prevents financial collapse in the immediate term
5. Finish the season in a year.
The problem I see with this, is that clubs cannot unilaterally impose wage cuts. Any attempt to do so would again lead to very messy legal problems. Whilst a worker refusing to work is ordinarily legal grounds for non-payment of wages, most contracts generally allow workers to legitimately refuse to honour employer instructions that would potentially be extremely hazardous to their well-being. Any club that basically instructs their players to risk their health for the sake of putting on a PE kit and run around after a ball, or don't get paid, would also be terrible optics/PR, even if doing so was lawful, which I doubt it would be. It would also be disastrous for the club's relationship with the players.

I mean, if I was told "Sorry, we know there's an ongoing pandemic killing loads of people, but we feel the priority right now is you kicking a ball around, so do it or don't get paid", that would go down with me about as well as a proverbial sack of ****.

In fact even in my job right now, if I was told "right, tomorrow you're back in, in a lecture hall full of 200-300 people" I'd tell them to forget it.

Last edited:

Uppercut

The problem I see with this, is that clubs cannot unilaterally impose wage cuts. Any attempt to do so would again lead to very messy legal problems. Whilst a worker refusing to work would be legal grounds for non-payment of wages, most contracts generally allow workers to legitimately refuse to honour employer instructions that would potentially be extremely hazardous to their well-being. Any club that basically instructs their players to risk their health for the sake of putting on a PE kit and run around after a ball, or don't get paid, would also be terrible optics/PR, even if doing so was lawful, which I doubt it would be.
Can't they furlough players?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah this would be an option tbf. Though I guess an issue with that might be the fact that it's uncertain how long the furlough scheme will remain in place. Problem of bad optics once again as well. Already seeing clubs buckling under the backlash at decisions to furlough admin staff and similar etc. I imagine the public reaction to the scheme being used to pay salaries of people who are already multi-millionaires would also be overwhelmingly negative.

Voluntary wage cuts in the mould of the way Arsenal have done things probably the best bet I would say, if clubs are able to negotiate them.

Uppercut

Yeah this would be an option tbf. Though I guess an issue with that might be the fact that it's uncertain how long the furlough scheme will remain in place. Problem of bad optics once again as well. Already seeing clubs buckling under the backlash at decisions to furlough admin staff and similar etc. I imagine the public reaction to the scheme being used to pay salaries of people who are already multi-millionaires would also be overwhelmingly negative.

Voluntary wage cuts in the mould of the way Arsenal have done things probably the best bet I would say, if clubs are able to negotiate them.
Sure, but if it gets you from "can only prevent financial collapse of large numbers of clubs by destroying the integrity of the competition" to "might be some bad PR", that's something.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Sure, but if it gets you from "can only prevent financial collapse of large numbers of clubs by destroying the integrity of the competition" to "might be some bad PR", that's something.
Oh yeah for sure, don't disagree at all. My point really was that whatever option is chosen, it's likely going to be an exercise in damage limitation. There is going to be pain.

cpr

You've got to remember furlough is a change to an employee's contract terms, so they can refuse it. Leaves the club in a position where they've basically claimed the player is a risk of redundancy, and the players gone 'meh', they can't really follow through with laying them off and allowing them to wander off elsewhere, so they've got no leverage.

Pothas

Found myself doing the Charragher Premier League team thing, rule is you can't have any two player who have played for the same club or country. Ended up with this:

Dubravka

Coleman
Terry
Laursen
Brunt

Toure
Okocha
Modric

Salah
Henry
Ronaldo

Might be better options in goal and left back but I can't be bothered to try and think of them.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Been lots of chirping about lawsuits about relegation/playoffs after the Dutch nullification decision. Unsure whether it will happen, but the 44 pro club setup was seriously unstable anyway and somewhat dependent on transfers from Ajax/Feijenoord/PSV, and all everyone can do right now is draft legal documents in MS Office...

Matteh

Might be better options in goal and left back but I can't be bothered to try and think of them.
Ziege at left back? Euro 96 winner. Dennis Irwin is a better Irish option or Steve Staunton too. Technically Gareth Bale too.

The likes of Jussi Jaaskelainen and any of Tim Howard/Brad Friedel/Kasey Keller for an American option, plus Mark Schwarzer. Some bona fide Premier League legends to choose from.

Edit: Missed the club criteria, bah. Think Jussi might be the only option that ends up alright still.

Last edited:

Matteh

lineup.png

Had to get Le Tissier in and as a one-club player is perfect. Weakest area feels like it's in the centre-backs where they're still good, just less flashy than other selections. Davids gets picked for his career rather than actual Premier League contributions. Probably replace Essien with a different one of Ivanovic or Azpilicueta on any given day.

Last edited: