• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the Oval

wpdavid

Australia's is hardly doing much better. International cricket can be hard, it is too easy just to blame county cricket. Stokes is going to be bad plenty of times but he is obviously worth sticking with. Lyth is obviously not, Bell and Bairstow am not entirely sure what we do.
My take on the matter is that we're not as good at finding capable test batsmen as we were. Without listing them, from around 2000 to 2010 we managed to introduce 9 or 10 batters who settled into test cricket reasonably quickly. Since the 2010/11 ashes we've only found one, despite needing to replace Collingwood, Strauss, Trott and KP. For whatever reason, the gap between county and test cricket seems to have risen sharply.

flibbertyjibber

My take on the matter is that we're not as good at finding capable test batsmen as we were. Without listing them, from around 2000 to 2010 we managed to introduce 9 or 10 batters who settled into test cricket reasonably quickly. Since the 2010/11 ashes we've only found one, despite needing to replace Collingwood, Strauss, Trott and KP. For whatever reason, the gap between county and test cricket seems to have risen sharply.
or is it the fact that T20 has taken over and techniques aren't good enough anymore. Not just us having a problem replacing players.

fredfertang

If you're going to give people an extended chance as opposed to the one bad match and your out of the 90s I suppose this is the problem you get

LegionOfBrad

If you're going to give people an extended chance as opposed to the one bad match and your out of the 90s I suppose this is the problem you get
The thing is a lot of them have got a hundred in their first or second games which then gives them a few more games.

Bairstow got back in due to being the absolute form batsman in CC. So it was a fair enough decision.

Stokes I think they will leave in as a project player ala Flintoff.

Howe_zat

But none of the 2000s debuting players - Strauss, Cook, Bell, Pietersen, Prior - were stuck with through a poor start. Prior was dropped after one bad series too

Compton

With IPL, BBL, CPL, T20 Blast and various 40/50 over tournaments, players just aren't playing as much four day stuff; and that's before you consider international matches.

Glenn Maxwell has played more ODIs than FC matches.

wpdavid

or is it the fact that T20 has taken over and techniques aren't good enough anymore. Not just us having a problem replacing players.
Quite possibly, especially since we doubled the number of group matches in our domestic 2020 competition about 10 years ago.
Anyway, I didn't mean to throw this thread off topic. I know our domestic structure has been discussed elsewhere not so long ago.

Compton

That cut to Nathan Lyon looks the only shot Cook will get out to. It's also the only shot he's scoring runs from.

Test Cricket is back!

Howe_zat

But none of the 2000s debuting players - Strauss, Cook, Bell, Pietersen, Prior - were stuck with through a poor start. Prior was dropped after one bad series too
In fact the only batsman I can think of to have a poor start around that time was Ravi Bopara, and he was dropped more often than a leaky shampoo bottle

wpdavid

In fact the only batsman I can think of to have a poor start around that time was Ravi Bopara, and he was dropped more often than a leaky shampoo bottle
Yeah, he's one of the few exceptions as he really didn't look up to it. Whereas the guys you listed plus Collingwood and Trott, as well as Tresco and Vaughan from slightly earlier, all settled in pretty quickly. Even Bell, once he wasn't facing Warne & McGrath.

Howe_zat

TMS points out that this is the second time Bairstow has been given out off a fielder's helmet

probably what's robbed him of a 50+ average ftr