• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England 2014

Spark

Global Moderator
don't get it
fair enough, it's not like one poster went on about how disrespectful india's snubbing of wi tour was in every thread in the subforum

---

And yeah, Broad was staggeringly good in that series. Bowled absolute magic balls seemingly at will for four consecutive tests, ended up getting hard done by with a series average of about 12.

Last edited:

ohnoitsyou

Yeah Broad's the one that makes me worried. But I'm just saying that England's bowling in that series gets slightly overlooked because all the attention goes to how our batting failed collectively. There really wasn't any respite for our batsmen in any of the 4 matches. All of their bowlers did their job throughout the series. Broad tore us several new anuses and Anderson and Bresnan were damn good in pretty much every match. And finger spinners suck in general so one really good match per series is enough to make it a successful one.Can't see their whole attack coming to the party again this time. If they do, props to them
say wot?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
For those that are saying this batting lineup is better than the one in 2011, heading in there was absolutely no sign that Gambhir, Tendulkar and VVS would struggle. They were all in great form and 6 months prior to the tour Tendulkar was the best test batsman in the world.

The only ones who we knew would struggle were Sehwag post operation and Raina/Yuvi because they suck.

I reckon in hindsight its probably right that this lineup is more likely to score runs, but that's only because its an incredibly low bar. But prior to the series India looked intimidating.

Daemon

For those that are saying this batting lineup is better than the one in 2011, heading in there was absolutely no sign that Gambhir, Tendulkar and VVS would struggle. They were all in great form and 6 months prior to the tour Tendulkar was the best test batsman in the world.

The only ones who we knew would struggle were Sehwag post operation and Raina/Yuvi because they suck.

I reckon in hindsight its probably right that this lineup is more likely to score runs, but that's only because its an incredibly low bar. But prior to the series India looked intimidating.
Amazing post. Starts off with all the promise of having a new revolutionary point in the context of the discussion but upon further reading is simply a summary of what everyone else has already said.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Got all you ****s on ignore, no idea if you happen to make similar points to mine.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Obviously, you'd expect about three Indian bats to do better than Tendulkar did last time but it's such a massive hindsight call. Tendulkar averaged 82 and scored 1700 runs in 15 games between the beginning of 2010 to before the English series in tests, dominating SA with Steyn at his peak home and away in the process and was the second highest run scorer in the WC (missing highest by 18 runs) heading into the England series. Not only was the the the best batsman in the world but he was in the kind of form that few have ever been in.

It's highly simplistic/errpneous to say Kohli/Sharma/Pujara etc. in 2014 > Tendulkar in that 2011 line up unless you're having an extreme hindsight view which you should not because you're comparing the team going to England in both instances and not whether this team will do better than what the previous batting line-up did with knowledge of how they did, which is an important distinction,
This is basically my point and how I would have worded it if I wasn't a massive ****. Kudos.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Also, when I question what Kohli has done it's because I think a bloke as stupidly talented as he is is failing by a) having a Test best innings of 119 and b) averaging 46.

With KP gone Kohli has no equal as the best batsman in the world. It's time he showed it, preferably after the summer though.

Adders

Also, when I question what Kohli has done it's because I think a bloke as stupidly talented as he is is failing by a) having a Test best innings of 119 and b) averaging 46.

With KP gone Kohli has no equal as the best batsman in the world. It's time he showed it, preferably after the summer though.
Da ****??? That can't be a serious statement??