• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in Australia 2016/17

Burgey

There's been four tests here this summer for four results.

Pakistan has shown more application here with the bat than any side not called SA (including Australia) in recent years. Even when the tracks have movement in them early, they most always flatten out here because of the climate, Adelaide being the usual exception. You have to do your damage early for the most part. Kudos to Pakistan for overcoming their first innings in Brisbane and nearly winning there.

I'd have loved to see this deck had it not rained so much. It started dry and I reckon it would have turned a fair bit if they'd had three days of conditions like this arvo. Unfortunately wasn't to be. Both teams' bowlers have gone past the edge plenty, and had edges not go to hand. Looks a Malcolm Turnbull at this stage though, which is a shame.

Shady Slim

i take it the waca's a katter since it's traditionally fiery and scary and hobart's a bob day because it's largely irrelevant but recently quite interesting?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
There's been four tests here this summer for four results.

Pakistan has shown more application here with the bat than any side not called SA (including Australia) in recent years. Even when the tracks have movement in them early, they most always flatten out here because of the climate, Adelaide being the usual exception. You have to do your damage early for the most part. Kudos to Pakistan for overcoming their first innings in Brisbane and nearly winning there.

I'd have loved to see this deck had it not rained so much. It started dry and I reckon it would have turned a fair bit if they'd had three days of conditions like this arvo. Unfortunately wasn't to be. Both teams' bowlers have gone past the edge plenty, and had edges not go to hand. Looks a Malcolm Turnbull at this stage though, which is a shame.
Melbourne's spin is often very slow though - maybe Shah would have come into the game towards the end, but over the past four or five years there have been a fair few big scores on Day 4 at the MCG.

Compton

The Smith-hating is ****ing great. I bet it really bothers him when he averages above 40 in every country. His record is comfortably the most complete of the top batsman of his generation.

Spark

Global Moderator
The Smith-hating is ****ing great. I bet it really bothers him when he averages above 40 in every country. His record is comfortably the most complete of the top batsman of his generation.
This spurred me onto check and wow, I did not notice that KW's record in SA and England was, well, like that.

OverratedSanity

Yeah indeed it's 8 Tests in total which is not much at all but I was genuinely surprised by that.
He'll improve on those numbers for sure. It's a bit like holding Root's series in Australia against him.

That said, Smith's record is quite obviously better overseas. He's looked Australia's best or second best batsman on every tour in the last 2-3 years and the consistency is remarkable. The fact that people call him an FTB despite that is hilarious because they can't seem to come to grips with the idea that a batsman whose technique looks so flawed to the naked eye can actually succeed. It's chanderpaul syndrome all over again.

Spark

Global Moderator
He'll improve on those numbers for sure. It's a bit like holding Root's series in Australia against him.

That said, Smith's record is quite obviously better overseas. He's looked Australia's best or second best batsman on every tour in the last 2-3 years and the consistency is remarkable. The fact that people call him an FTB despite that is hilarious because they can't seem to come to grips with the idea that a batsman whose technique looks so flawed to the naked eye can actually succeed. It's chanderpaul syndrome all over again.
I do hold Root's series in Australia against him a tiny bit tbf, at least in terms of his overall record. He got thoroughly Harris'd, though that obviously isn't a worry next summer.

indiaholic

Kinda pointless because of the number of chances he will have over his career to better his record in Australia... Plus no shame in being Harris'd.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
He'll find it easier to go back and play in his own comfort zone against Hazelwood.

That skiddier pace of Harris dragged him forward more often.

OverratedSanity

Kinda pointless because of the number of chances he will have over his career to better his record in Australia...
Yeah this is exactly what I was getting at. We hold current players to ludicrous standards when scrutinizing their overseas records. ATGs like Kallis, Lara, Dravid, Ponting all had atleast a few countries they didn't do all that great in. Hell, all ATGs have atleast one bogey nation (except Sachin coz that's how he rolled). And we're holding current players to those standards, despite the fact that they've only had one tour, or at most, two of each country. Doesn't make sense to me at all.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah this is exactly what I was getting at. We hold current players to ludicrous standards when scrutinizing their overseas records. ATGs like Kallis, Lara, Dravid, Ponting all had atleast a few countries they didn't do all that great in. Hell, all ATGs have atleast one bogey nation (except Sachin coz that's how he rolled). And we're holding current players to those standards, despite the fact that they've only had one tour, or at most, two of each country. Doesn't make sense to me at all.
Shows how much it's really just statistical noise that gets flattened out over time with these guys that are commonly seen as being a top class batsman.