• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pool B Discussion

Legglancer

I would predict that Sri Lanka probably would beat New Zealand in their opening game on monday based purely on past recent performances between the 2 countries.

Also I am hoping that Canada will have at least one win which will help considerbly to propergate
cricket in this neck of the woods.:)

Bazza

T-minus 17 hours and counting. I am starting to get really quite excited.

I just wish I could watch the opening ceremony. Whilst they can be a bit drab sometimes, they really help you 'get into' major events like this. 8D

Tim

I find it interesting that alot of betting agencies have NZ as favourites to beat Sri Lanka, but in the last 4 years or so the record favours Sri Lanka something like 10-3.

In my mind, I think Sri Lanka will win the match but thats presuming that Jayasuriya bats well & that Murali annihilates NZ like he usually does.

Bazza

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Why would you need help to "get into" the WC spirit?
Because I am feeling very isolated here. I have absolutely zero tv coverage and therefore can't get into it nearly as much as say if I was at home and able to watch pretty much every match live!

Still 90 mins to go!! :D

Bazza

I know it sucks big time. I am crossing fingers Radio 4 will be live (think they are) and I can get it over the net (not as likely). Off to check in a minute.

Still, one hour and counting!

Anil

I feel happy for WI. They have been threatening to break loose for some time now and I think it's starting now. A strong WI team is good for cricket. That said, they will definitely need to put together a better attack as the tournament progresses. Today's match was too close for comfort.

Anil

marc71178 said:
Having said that, that is probably their hardest game in the Group, and they got away with it!
Hmmmmm....I don't know about that. NZ and SL are pretty tough competitors and ODIs are all about who plays better on that day, right? There is not too much difference between these teams and it could go either way. SL beating NZ was further proof of that, I would say.

Legglancer

Legglancer said:
I would predict that Sri Lanka probably would beat New Zealand in their opening game on monday based purely on past recent performances between the 2 countries.

Also I am hoping that Canada will have at least one win which will help considerbly to propergate
cricket in this neck of the woods.:)

It's Nice to right once in awhile isnt it ??? Here's hoping that my team Canada may also do something that I can talk about.

I orderd my Canadian Cricket shirt..... it sent me back $ 65.00 !:wow:

Tim

I think NZ are out of the running, they now have to beat the West Indies & South Africa which was not a favourable option. I think NZ can do it, but if experienced players like Fleming, Astle & McMillan are going to put little effort in then NZ won't make the Super Six.

They've got to go to Kenya now, I believe the NZ team is considering it.

aussie_beater

Well Canada thrash Bangladesh....this is quite an upset although I am not really surprised. Good show from Canada !!

Anil

aussie_beater said:
Well Canada thrash Bangladesh....this is quite an upset although I am not really surprised. Good show from Canada !!
For a team that has lost its last 25 ODIs, this 26th loss cannot really be counted as an upset even though it has come against Canada. They have shown over the years that they are just not good enough to be counted with the top teams. IMO, this was a just a match of minnows vs minnows with one of them winning.

Bazza

...except one of them is a mighty test playing nation, an exclusive club with still only 10 members after well over 100 years...

Anil

Bazza said:
...except one of them is a mighty test playing nation, an exclusive club with still only 10 members after well over 100 years...
test playing nation, true. mighty, false. Just because you enter that "exclusive club" doesn't mean that you are mighty. You still have to prove that you belong there and Bangladesh so far has only managed to prove that they are really out-of-place in that club.