• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pool B Discussion

Rik

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Did I do something wrong?
You mentioned something that I can't remember, then you were mistaken for being English and then started off a huge arguement that involved AA again.

This would never have happened if people actually look at the LOCATION just under the avatar.

Anil

Back to group B, who will go through? Who will be left out? IMO, NZ look the hungriest team and look determined to make it. SL, if they can carry on their form to the bigger matches will make it. The third spot could be a scrap between WI and SA. Will SA choke again? Will the 2 points lost against Bang cost WI dear?

Tim

I think NZ had pretty much decided before the South Africa game that they would not get the points from the Kenya match so it should have come as no surprise to them.

NZ will just need to recall how they bowled to Bangladesh in the ICC Trophy last year & they should brush off Bangladesh & with Canada's batting letting them down at the moment NZ should win that comfortably aswell.

I know at the start of the World Cup that NZ's schedule was considered the worst but if you actually beat 2 out of the 3 big teams then you've got 3 relatively easy matches to get hit your net run-rate up.

anzac

yeah NZ looks the hungriest but I still think this group will go down to the wire - with the weather being the 'X' factor !!!

;)

Bazza

Tim said:
NZ will just need to recall how they bowled to Bangladesh in the ICC Trophy last year & they should brush off Bangladesh & with Canada's batting letting them down at the moment NZ should win that comfortably aswell.
hmmm.... :D

Tim

Well that statement I made stays relatively true, without Davison's century the Canadian total would have been below 100 again.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Right, now that Kenya have done Sri Lanka, look at this scenario:

SA beat SL, who beat WI, who beat Kenya. Assuming the other 5 beat Bang & Canada, then all 5 will tie on 16pts. Then it's down to run rate - where Kenya will struggle after they were crushed by SA, and SL will cruise it after the Canada + Bangladesh games.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Throw a bit of rain in to the scenario and suddenly you could easily have Kenya in the Super Six - and who's to say that after todays terrific performance they wouldn't deserve it?

I thought that not only did they outplay Sri Lanka from start to finish, they out-thought and out-fought them.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
Right, now that Kenya have done Sri Lanka, look at this scenario:

SA beat SL, who beat WI, who beat Kenya. Assuming the other 5 beat Bang & Canada, then all 5 will tie on 16pts. Then it's down to run rate - where Kenya will struggle after they were crushed by SA, and SL will cruise it after the Canada + Bangladesh games.
Cannot happen, as WI-Ban was washed out - so in that scenario, WI only have 14.

Tim

There is a likelyhood at the moment that NZ will encounter rain aswell which is what they really really don't need after last night's result with Kenya.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
As I see it (without rain playing a factor)

NZ beat BAN
SA beat CAN
WI beat SL
KEN beat BAN
NZ beat CAN
SA beat SL
WI beat KEN

That leaves us with - Ken 16, SL 12, WI 18, NZ 16, SA 16.

WI top the group, and it's NRR between the others, which sends KEN out.

If however SL beat SA, then KEN and SL go through...

Any rain and this is all ruined though.

The 2 key games are SL's last 2, and I cannot see them winning both.

Legglancer

FYI:
A pool which was already rife with plenty of possibilities just got a few more. Assuming that Kenya beat Bangladesh, and the
minnows cause no further upsets, the results of two more matches – Sri Lanka v West Indies on February 28, and South Africa v Sri
Lanka on March 3 – will decide which teams progress to the Super Six.

Scenario 1: Sri Lanka beat West Indies and lose to South Africa
South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand and Kenya will be tied at 16 points each. South Africa and Kenya will progress, on the basis of
having beaten two of the three other teams. Net run rate will decide which of New Zealand or Sri Lanka qualify.

Scenario 2: Sri Lanka lose to West Indies and beat South Africa
West Indies will be the clear leader in the group with 18 points, leaving Sri Lanka, New Zealand and Kenya tied on 16 points each.
Sri Lanka and Kenya will qualify, as New Zealand have lost to both those teams.

Scenario 3: Sri Lanka beat both West Indies and South Africa
Sri Lanka (20 points), Kenya (16) and New Zealand (16) qualify, and Kenya will go into the Super Six carrying the highest number
of points.

Scenario 4: Sri Lanka lose to West Indies and South Africa
West Indies will top the group with 18 points, with South Africa, New Zealand and Kenya tied at 16. With one win for each team
against the other two, the net run rate will come into play.

All this, assuming, of course, that the weather plays no further part in the rest of these matches.

krkode

Tim said:
I thought net run-rate came before who's beaten who
Well if that was so, then who's beaten who would barely ever come into play. Chances are very small that two teams will be tied at NRR.

Tim

I heard Stephen Fleming on the radio saying that if they beat Bangladesh & Canada comprehensively that should be enough to get them into the next round.

I don't know if I missed part of his interview, but it sounded like he was saying run-rate came before who's beaten who.