• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Religious Discussion Thread

StephenZA

Would you call it coercion if they asked them to choose between survival and money?

If yes, do hospitals coerce their patients?
Well I'm somebody that believes in free medical care, so it is a difficult subject for me..... but I`m also somebody who believes if you have the resources to maintain your own medical aid then you should, because I understand there is practical realities relating to money with regards to medical care for all etc. So it always becomes a situation, that yes I believe that if you can save somebody's life even if they can't pay, you should not demand that they give you a kidney or in this case change religion in return.

These missionaries don't pay for the services they offer, they collect money through charities. Just as most governments collect via taxes, to try provide a minimum health care service. It would be no different if you had a situation where a doctor demanded *** from a mother of a child who needed an operation, because she could not pay; more extreme than asking somebody give up their religion, but coercive nonetheless. People always have a choice in every decision they make but some choices have greater repercussions than others and that gets used against people everyday.

StephenZA

Cheers. Now I see how they coerce with gifts which I wasn't understanding. I don't understand how missionaries live with their hypocracy though. Did Jesus demand the Samaritan convert before he helped him?
The bible does demand that you convert, many religions do... and it does not say that you can not use whatever means possible. I`m not even saying that the missionaries are not within there right, from their beliefs to do it. I'm just saying that it is coercive. Missionaries have been doing this for many years.

Victor Ian

I guess my issue is with the idea of 'converting' people. It is all an excercise for the heart, not the lips. All you can do is preach the message. You can not know you have converted anyone. They can be paying you lip service for services or just to shut you up but their hearts are not in it. This idea that you go around and need to hear it from their mouths is just silly. It really is. I'd like a better read of where the bible says this too. Far too many times, what people say is in the bible is only there through contrived interpretations.

Completely unrelated, that gif of yours always gets me looking at it almost hypnotically. If it comes from a website, I'd love to read up on the formula behind it. I have spent many wasteful moments wondering what other patterns different speeds of those two points yield.

vcs

I guess my issue is with the idea of 'converting' people. It is all an excercise for the heart, not the lips. All you can do is preach the message. You can not know you have converted anyone. They can be paying you lip service for services or just to shut you up but their hearts are not in it. This idea that you go around and need to hear it from their mouths is just silly. It really is. I'd like a better read of where the bible says this too. Far too many times, what people say is in the bible is only there through contrived interpretations.

Completely unrelated, that gif of yours always gets me looking at it almost hypnotically. If it comes from a website, I'd love to read up on the formula behind it. I have spent many wasteful moments wondering what other patterns different speeds of those two points yield.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycloid

It's a lot of fun, I remember writing a formula to trace one of those curves on a graph plotting site too.