• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lord's

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah true, I didn't say there weren't any bowlers with good injury records, because there certainly are. Starc is the same age as Pattinson and IIRC hasn't had injury problems.
Starc just had bone spurs removed from his ankle that had been troubling him for ages, so that's not exactly accurate even if it hadn't stopped him playing beyond rotation. Starc's action is probably one of the laziest actions you'll ever see though (if not as "pure" as Pattinson's) so you can see why that'd be the case.

That is not to say that there is no problem with the actions and conditioning of these young bowlers. It is just that the problem is widespread. One will never make progress in any field if you resign yourself to a certain set of problems.
Well, fast bowling isn't exactly a natural and easy thing to do, so there's a strong case to be made here that their bodies just aren't hardened yet for the rigors of bowling quick with a modern schedule. Which would suggest that it improves with age, as seems to be the case.

Last edited:

burr

Of course England has weaknesses, they aren't a great side or even the best team in the world. They are a very good outfit though and Joe Root's bowling is better than part time, anyone who's seen him do it regularly knows that.
I would say they're edging close to a great side, at least a great England side. Not so much in this series yet, but overall. Winning in India was phenomenal and performances like that draw against NZ were admirable. Still, I guess South Africa at home and Pakistan away are black marks. If you look at the current line up though, a lot are going to go down as some of England's best ever: Anderson, Swann, Cook, Pietersen, even Bell perhaps.

Enjoy it now, oh how the worm does turn :D

CricAddict

I would say they're edging close to a great side, at least a great England side. Not so much in this series yet, but overall. Winning in India was phenomenal and performances like that draw against NZ were admirable. Still, I guess South Africa at home and Pakistan away are black marks. If you look at the current line up though, a lot are going to go down as some of England's best ever: Anderson, Swann, Cook, Pietersen, even Bell perhaps.

Enjoy it now, oh how the worm does turn :D
And Trott too..

LongHopCassidy

Let's face it, if he didn't tweet he'd be just another Tufnell - a lifetime of pies hiding behind a veil of second-hand anecdotes about what a funny **** he is.

greg

That's not a wind up mate because we know you don't believe it.......that's about as stinky bait as me saying Ashley Giles was better than Warne.......no one is gonna bite on that.
Not least because the Aussies don't even pick him! In India, or in favour of a 19 year old.

Actually, it has been bizarrely IMO not widely discussed, I think, but why WAS Agar picked? Was it the old "Pietersen has a weakness against slow left armers" theory?

Last edited:

Tangles

Agar was picked on potential and out bowling Lyon in the nets and tour games. Then we saw his 98 before we saw him bowl which protected him from criticism. "He's only 19, he scored 98 and had a dream debut". Ok but he's a spin bowler and wasn't ready and has the bowling figures to show it. Lyon shouldn't have been dropped in India or here but obviously he's now not rated. I'd love to know what our spinner selection criteria is. Lyon is dumped cause a 19 year old has potential. That seems to me like they still think they can uncover another Warne. I'd hoped we had moved on from that.

I like Agar but in this side he is needed to bowl a lot of overs and given his age and short career he physically isn't up to it yet.

Adders

Let's face it, if he didn't tweet he'd be just another Tufnell - a lifetime of pies hiding behind a veil of second-hand anecdotes about what a funny **** he is.
You'll have to explain this one to me LHC (or should that be THC, for surely you were under the influence of something when you posted that)...........

How does Swanns sense of humour and Twitter habits enable him to take 100+ more wickets than Tufnell at at an average of nearly 10 less??