• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Online Copyright Infringement

Agent Nationaux

Is it illegal to just take any random picture online and use it as an avatar or post it on CW? What are the penalties associated with this?

Does anyone here actually asks permission from the owners of the online images they use?

andyc

I honestly have nfi where I found mine now, given it was 10 years ago.

Holy **** it was 10 years ago.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Is it illegal to just take any random picture online and use it as an avatar or post it on CW? What are the penalties associated with this?

Does anyone here actually asks permission from the owners of the online images they use?
No. None. Not necessary.

Daemon

Now that your conscience is clear AN, go ahead and post the nudes you found of your co-worker

Riggins

Does it count as plagiarism at university if you copy and paste something you submitted a few weeks ago? Asking for a mate.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Are you an undergraduate? If so, it probably depends on the University's own rules.

At postraduate level and beyond, however, when publishing, or attempting to publish, your own work you can most definitely get into trouble for plagiarising yourself.

Riggins

hmm. undergrad writing a research proposal where i need to include a lit review and i have already submitted an (albeit much more comprehensive) lit review.

King Pietersen

Can you not just use it, and reference yourself? I used some of my own code from previous modules in my Final Year Project, and my project supervisor said you can get in trouble for plagiarism of your own work, if you fail to reference it. So if you reference it properly, you should be all good. Be best to check with your University, and check their guidelines though.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Ah no, if it's all for the same piece of work then just send it in again. Come to think of it, you'd almost certainly be alright using it for a totally different piece of work too, unless your first submission had been put forward for publication or something.

Dan

Global Moderator
Interestingly, if John Tehranian is to be believed, simply quoting this post to reply to it could technically be a violation of my intellectual property rights if I had enough lawyers and a judge takes an extremely strict reading of the laws (and ignores almost all precedent). Especially in protecting the value of possible future derivative works.

Actually, possibly not true of forum posts, but apparently it theoretically could be the case with replying to an email.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, that sounds about right. Quoting a forum post would never violate copyright, because of the rules about fair use, and I imagine CW's terms and conditions imply, or expressly state, that by posting here you give permission for your posts to be used in such a way anyway. Probably true re: emails though. More like to be a breach of confidence issue though, I suspect.

Just as well you have a bastion of knowledge to refer you to the writings of Mr Tehranian, eh? :ph34r:

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The day after Burgey requests us to raise our game, we get the most tedious topic ever. And AN, just so we're clear I'm not blaming you in this instance but rather sledger, sitting reading his Law textbook and pretending he knows anything. Awful. A low point for CW.