• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Out of control

Spark

Global Moderator
TBH I haven't got that impression from Coates.

I think it's pretty clear that the vast majority of politics is identity politics. Historically, globally, hardly any elections are fought along sincere ideological lines.
He tweeted that position out more or less verbatim on a few occasions before he left Twitter iirc.

But yeah it's a pretty mundanely accurate point when you think about it and don't enforce too strict a definition of all the involved notions. Group self-interest has always been the central motivator in all political action.

Maximas

Would be valid except non-white working-class vote didn't break for Trump. He specifically appealed to white people by going hard on immigration and minorities. It's true that "economic anxiety" was a factor, but it's not the main one.

There's also the chud safaris where there's always some white guy who's lost his job/farm or whatever but will still vote Trump because at least he keeps the browns away.
As in, specifically appealed to about 60% of the country (correct figure?)

weldone

Would be valid except non-white working-class vote didn't break for Trump. He specifically appealed to white people by going hard on immigration and minorities. It's true that "economic anxiety" was a factor, but it's not the main one.
Aren't the two related? Because 'economic anxiety' was a factor he channelized that anxiety in a particular direction to build a core, no?

RossTaylorsBox

As in, specifically appealed to about 60% of the country (correct figure?)
Yes.

Aren't the two related? Because 'economic anxiety' was a factor he channelized that anxiety in a particular direction to build a core, no?
Yeah but Trump would often blame immigrants for the situation they were in. I would argue that this was more convincing than if he just railed against globalization and NAFTA. The racism put him over the top.

RossTaylorsBox

Quillette's an online right-wing rag trying to brand itself as intellectual and doing serious journalism, except they've done articles on race science and got tricked by a guy who pretended to be a disgruntled DSA member. They've become kind of prominent in the past year or so.

Andy Ngo is the guy who was attacked by Antifa and claimed he suffered a massive brain bleed or something, which was so life-threatening he got out of hospital the next day, did a bunch of media interviews and started a GoFundMe. He also used to write for Quillette, but now that there's footage of him palling around with far-right gangs he's been fired or something.

Uppercut

Didn’t he record some white power groups attacking protesters with a hammer and claim it was Antifa or something?

Teja.

Global Moderator
Yeah, he did.

I wonder what motivates people like this guy. Even financially, it’s dumb long term. The desire for being infamous for 15 min on the internet should not come at the price of your entire life being defined that way.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, he did.

I wonder what motivates people like this guy. Even financially, it’s dumb long term. The desire for being infamous for 15 min on the internet should not come at the price of your entire life being defined that way.
#content