• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player of the tournament?

cbuts

Lets be honest - youd struggle to name an average Australian scrum, the current one is an absolute embarrasment!!!

chaminda_00

When the last time Australia had a good scrum though, during the last World Cup the scrum was a joke too and they still won games. If Australia is a poor Rugby team, what does it say about the rest of the sides in World Rugby outside NZ and South Africa. Its not like any of the rest are much better, if at at all.

Johnners

When Australia have a scrum I'll respect them.
You make it sound like the scrum is the single defining factor in whether a team is poor or not. Sure the scrum is definetly the weakest facet of the Wallabies game, but by no means does that make them a poor side.

Perm

You make it sound like the scrum is the single defining factor in whether a team is poor or not. Sure the scrum is definetly the weakest facet of the Wallabies game, but by no means does that make them a poor side.
I agree with you, but a solid scrum is the basis of an attackking side. Australia are just lucky they have a very good lineout to make up for their scrumming deficiencies.

ohtani's jacket

The last time Australia had a good scrum was '99.

Australia are a poor side, IMO. They've only won 6 away games since the last World Cup. Maybe this will come back to bite me on Saturday or later this year, but most of what the Wallabies do is smoke and mirrors.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
No offence mate but I can't see it happening:laugh:
LOL. you never know, you'd get good money if it was the case, but yeah it's usually a more attacking player who gets it.

If it's not Vickerman watch out for Aurelein Rougerie from France.

chaminda_00

The last time Australia had a good scrum was '99.

Australia are a poor side, IMO. They've only won 6 away games since the last World Cup. Maybe this will come back to bite me on Saturday or later this year, but most of what the Wallabies do is smoke and mirrors.
The thing is before '99 we also had a poor record away from home. Australia has never had a very good record away from home especially in Europe. We have won the odd big match over the years in NZ and South Africa. But generally most our success has come at home. There were as many question marks over our scrum before the '99 World Cup, the only real difference was we had a more experienced scrum who had been developing together for a while.

This Australian side is differently not as strong as the last two World Cup sides, but it is alot better then most sides in World Rugby. I don't they will win the World Cup, but i would be suprised if they are not competitive and push most sides like they have in this Tri Nations. They are differently not a poor side, its just that the Kiwis and South Africa have taken the game to another level. So the rest of the sides look below par when those two are playing at their best.

I've seen some Australian sides that are better, but i've seen a lot more sides that are worse. Also basicing a sides ability on their scrum is pretty stupid. Australia never had a great scrum and never based their game around the scrum. They had sufficent scrums at best, but they generally have picked more mobile players, who are better in general play.

ohtani's jacket

Rugby games are won up front and that starts with the scrum. Australia don't have the pack to win this World Cup. I don't expect them to have a scrum like Wales had in the 70s, but they at least need a scrum that doesn't go backwards... Australia have had good scrums in the past, I've seen a number of them over the last 20 years... What I haven't seen from Australia in recent times is a prop worth a damn.

Anyway, I'd like to know is what's good about Australia. Why aren't they a poor side?

Fiery

Banned
Rugby games are won up front and that starts with the scrum. Australia don't have the pack to win this World Cup. I don't expect them to have a scrum like Wales had in the 70s, but they at least need a scrum that doesn't go backwards... Australia have had good scrums in the past, I've seen a number of them over the last 20 years... What I haven't seen from Australia in recent times is a prop worth a damn.

Anyway, I'd like to know is what's good about Australia. Why aren't they a poor side?
Stirling Mortlock... and ahh.....

chaminda_00

They still have on of the better backlines in World Rugby. Also we have one of best defences in World Rugby as we have shown throughout the whole Tri Nations. Really the whole thing is World Rugby isn't just South Africa, New Zealand and Australia. Just cus Australia a fair way behind those two doesn't mean they have a poor side. If they have a poor side, then what does it say about the likes of Scotland and Wales. We still a fair bit better then most Internationals sides and by a fair way incomparsion to other decent sides.

Last edited:

Francis

Buck Shelford.
He'd get it if he was playing because he's punch the person most likely to get it.

If they have a poor side, then what does it say about the likes of Scotland and Wales. We still a fair bit better then most Internationals sides and by a fair way incomparsion to other decent sides.
If Australia suck, which they kinda do... it definitely says something about the likes of Scotland and Wales. If New Zealand and Wales played today and New Zealand won by 70 points I wouldn't be suprised. Scotland aren't much better. Italy compare nicely with Scotland and Wales these days. I'm starting to associate miserable embarrassing failure with the Welsh legacy as much as I'm aware of their past greats... they were the joke of six nations this year. They can lose to anybody.

Sad thing going into the world cup is that New Zealand are too far ahead of everybody. It's not that they're one of the greatest teams ever, they're not. It's just that world rugby is somewhat at a low eb right now.

They still have on of the better backlines in World Rugby
That's true but the sad part is they rarely get good clean ball. I've seen their attack seem stagnant at times because the ball just isn't coming out of there quick enough. Teams need a strong platform from which to launch an attack and Australia don't have one. You can't give this All Black side any extra seconds or else they're settled in defence.

ohtani's jacket

Until Larkham and Gregan leave and the Wallabies stop trying to play Brumbies style rugby, the Aussie backline won't be remotely threatening. Brumbies style rugby worked for the Wallabies when they had Brumbies players in their prime, but these days it doesn't even work for the Brumbies.

EDIT: Oh, and this All Blacks side is an all-time great side.

ripper868

Brian HABANA or the samoan no 8 TUILAGI

TUILAGI my new hero...wanna grow up to be just like him

.......im white and weigh 70 kilos.

simmy

Yeah Habana will be a favourite. Depends on the final though I guess. If Jonny hits another winning drop goal, he will win it again maybe?