• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players that are the most overated by CW posters.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That is a can of worms that you have opened up. What we know is Bradman was way better than his colleagues of his era. It does not automatically suggest that Bradman's colleges are of same skills as of today. They may have been superior, or inferior or similar. The cricket played by Bradman and today is so much different from each other, so we would never know what it was. Suggesting that cricket at Hammond's time is equal to now as a God given truth or like a quote from the Gospel / Quran, is nothing short of fanboyism.
Why is it then that pretty much every great player from any era in cricket averages between 50 and 60 with the bat? Since the 1920s, that's been a remarkably consistent range.

Why is it that no-one has come remotely close to matching Bradman's batting achievements in the history of the game?

hang on

Tendy is a buffoon.
perhaps, sledger. but i have never read his posts.

though surely less than some jumped up mods on a cricket site who institute infraction systems but are conveniently liberal with invective when it suits their purpose.

four_or_six

There is already a thread in 'site discussion' where you can discuss the infraction system, it's not appropriate here.

Any more rubbish in this thread, including insulting other posters, and it'll be deleted.

Migara

You're a buffoon. I never said any such thing. I simply said great players adapt, and they do. Bradman played over a twenty year span, Tendulkar has done the same.

The game of cricket has changed enormously just in the time I've been watching it. And in the time Tendulkar has been playing. He's grown with it and adapted. It's one of the things that makes him great.

Why you implicitly doubt that players from yesteryear would struggle now but don't wonder how today's players would have gone then is beyond me.
Firstly, although I quoted you, the statement is general.

Secondly, we agree that game has changed and so are the players. We don't know which direction the quality has gone BTW.

Thirdly, it's beyond me how exactly did you draw out that conclusion.

And fourthly I don't use the word like clown / buffoon addressing posters.

Last edited:

Migara

Why is it then that pretty much every great player from any era in cricket averages between 50 and 60 with the bat? Since the 1920s, that's been a remarkably consistent range.

Why is it that no-one has come remotely close to matching Bradman's batting achievements in the history of the game?
Old, and dusted argument. There are only few crickerters in school cricket who average 100+. But that does not conclusively say that they are better than a test batsman averaging 25. Inthe case of school cricket and test cricket, we know what has the superior quality. But when it comes to test cricket of 30s and now, the answer is not clear cut due to various pro and con reasons.

four_or_six

To clarify my earlier post - yes insulting other members is against forum rules. If you have an issue with a post, report it and then moderators will take a look and decide whether to act. Decisions are not instantaneous, and neither does reporting a post mean action will be taken against it.

If you have an issue with moderation, either detail it by reporting the post again and explaining the issue in the comment box, or email moderators@cricketweb.net.

Do not continue on the discussion in the thread, as this just derails a thread further and adds nothing to the atmosphere of the forum.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Let me reiterate what four_or_six has already stated: It is not acceptable to insult or bait other members. We are discussing what, if any, action should be taken on some of the posts in this thread. And again, not every reported post can have an instantaneous response or action against the offending parties. Rest assured though that all reported posts are read and discussed and we will take action where appropriate.

Teja.

Global Moderator
@hang on's post

IMO, If people feel Tendulkar is a buffoon, They should be allowed to say so without being infracted just like how people call Sree and KP a **** fairly commonly. I know that Sachin holds a higher amount of subjective 'respect' as such than the other two cricketers, but the rules should be consistent and should be such that they can be objectively interpreted.

If that means that people calling Sree or KP a **** are treated the same way as people calling Sobers or Dravid a ****, then so be it.

Ikki

The latter half of your post is factually incorrect. If we look at the batting averages by decade, we find that averages in the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s were just as high, if not higher than the 1990s and 2000s where we had helmets and better bats. This seems to contradict your post.
Yeah, but correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation. I think the main difference between the averages comes from the 90s and 00s being more result orientated whereas draws were more common in the 20s-40s. Naturally, that'll bump averages a bit higher.

I am not saying that Lara and Tendulkar are comparable to Bradman, but that everyone should be allowed to express themselves freely without being called names. Isn't that the whole point of a cricket forum ? If someone genuinely believes that Bradman's average would have taken a hit had he played in this day and age, then that someone must be heard out without being called a fanboy or whatever. That is all. :)

I think the thing with debates about Bradman are as Spark says it. The people trying to compare Tendulkar and Lara to him bring some of the shoddiest points that it will bring out bickering.

Last edited:

ankitj

Funny. This is exactly what I was thinking today. There is this barrier of 60, or 61 if you will, that has nothing natural about it. But in all different eras, all different batsmen have all failed to breach it.

Same goes for bowling. With exception of pre WWI bowlers, 20 seems to have been a barrier for bowling averages. If anything, these barriers only strengthens the case for usability of stats. They aren't all over the place as you would expect if they were totally bad indicators of ability. Stats, in cricket, seem to aggregate so many variables and influences together and neatly create these barriers, existence and persistence of which is quite fascinating!

I don't know if some similar statistical barriers are observed in other sports too?

Howe_zat

I don't know if some similar statistical barriers are observed in other sports too?
In baseball, perhaps the most stat-laden sport there is after cricket, a career batting average of 0.350 is considered nigh impossible to better, though quite a few batters have come close.

hang on

no, teja. one can call a cricketer anything. it is the calling a poster a name that is not on. thought that calling migara a buffoon was just not...er....cricket.

geraintismyhero,
since u ask, it is not about being hurt. it is about the escalation of an argument by petty name calling and not following the very rules that those in charge are supposed to implement. forum decorum on here also demands no use of caps. why? because it is considered rude because it is, virtually, shouting. ditto name calling and the personal insults, wouldn't u say?

given that another mod or staff member had once again been rather trigger happy with the name calling, i just wanted to bring it up. didn't even know there was a site discussion thread earlier.

Teja.

Global Moderator
no, teja. one can call a cricketer anything. it is the calling a poster a name that is not on. thought that calling migara a buffoon was just not...er....cricket.
Was wondering because the quote in your post was 'Tendy is a buffoon' tbh. :)