• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Polarising Movies Discussion Thread

honestbharani

Imagination with its roots grounded in reality (Breaker Morant, Rope, Full Metal Jacket, Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Master and Commander to name 5 I really like) just do so much more for me then movies where disbelief has to be suspended fully(anything with magic, superpowers) to the point where I'm surprised when other people don't share my view.

And I'm not just talking about films based on a true story(though these are my favourite) I mean films that could also conceivably be based on a true story like say Jackie Brown. And of course I know every film takes artistic liberties, some more than others though. If that makes me a snob then whatever I'm a snob

See, what it does for you is fine, and I missed your qualifiers of "for me" and "to me" there which was not there in your first post on the topic. I honestly think it is absolutely snobbish to think one type of imagination is more realistic than another and "Grounded in reality" means nothing when it is easily arguable that whatever is shown in any movie is not really reality as every person's experience of reality and life actually differs. It is one thing to say you prefer a certain genre over certain others, another to rubbish a genre that you obviously have no clue about. That is all.

Last edited:

Daemon

I personally think superhero movies are pretty lame and to me (in my opinion), are typically enjoyed by those of whom I personally perceive to have poor taste, I believe, imho.

mr_mister

See, what it does for you is fine, and I missed your qualifiers of "for me" and "to me" there which was not their in your first post on the topic. I honestly think it is absolutely snobbish to think one type of imagination is more realistic than another and "Grounded in reality" means nothing when it is easily arguable that whatever is shown in any movie is not really reality as every person's experience of reality and life actually differs. It is one thing to say you prefer a certain genre over certain others, another to rubbish a genre that you obviously have no clue about. That is all.
It's easy to argue a war film or simple murder mystery is equally as far away from reality as anything involving superheros or magic?

I disagree with that if it was what you were trying to say

grecian

Your last para is true for cbm as well. Only difference is that the discussion is focused on the Marvel formula which is to make safe profitable family movies. Right now that's what everyone wants to make so anyone wanting to do something different usually gets sidelined or just ****ed over from a creative control perspective. I genuinely feel that once the marvel formula has gotten somewhat old, and with the Joker making money, there will be a phase of cbm that will explore a very different set of stories that lend to some more depth.
In the end the film that did this best was Logan, this is a tiresome discussion, blockbusters have always had a family theme, and if it is marvel, or Transformers and POTC, I know which I'd chose.

Scorcese's comments were pointless, because Marvel has not killed anything, in fact it possibly stopped even worse Blockbusters being made, and there are plenty of other mediums for films to find there way out there now too.

Oh and Star wars has never really been good, Rogue One is the only decent one, but again they clearly have huge cultural influence.

honestbharani

It's easy to argue a war film or simple murder mystery is equally as far away from reality as anything involving superheros or magic?

I disagree with that if it was what you were trying to say

No, I am saying it is not reality when it is simply one person's perception of it as every individual's understanding and appreciation of reality varies. And not everythiing involving superheroes is magic and I feel verisimulitude is a much better medium for immersive storytelling in cinema than any imagined "realism" ever was.

Flem274*

123/5
hb is arguing the point pretty badly.

i could troll and say it takes more imagination to make a space opera because you need to make cultures, political systems, planets, space ships etc from scratch in an immersive way but what would be the point except to punch on other genres? i personally find it more rewarding to make up a made up history of a made up place than i do to craft the perfect mystery, but im sure crafting the perfect mystery takes loads of imagination and is rewarding for people whose true fictional love is that genre.

this isn't even accounting for genre mixing which happens all the time. despite my true loves often being the looked down upon genres, it's not their less realistic elements that draw me to those genres. im all about character, atmosphere, concept and background (this can be history for a fantasy or context for a crime) and after spending a childhood stealing my parents crime and spy thrillers i can assure you there are loads of ****ing **** cookie cutter novels in that genre who can't hold a candle to iron man 3.

tbh mr mister when you said you're surprised people don't think like you, we've hit the true issue here. i cbf sticking up for superheroes anymore. the athlai personality is the superhero lover, not me.

mr_mister

Okay yeah fair enough let's wrap it up.

I do really enjoy the Fifth Element I guess

However I will add that yes... I definitely agree it has to take more imagination to invent a universe than to write film set in the real world - but I think it takes more research to write a good crime film. Which I think is something I really respect. Especially researching a period for a period piece and walking the tightrope between making it accessible to modern viewers and staying true to the subject matter (making 1800s dialogue sound interesting/relatable yet still authentic must be really hard)

George Lucas can just jot down whatever comes into his head onto the paper and he's called a genius (joking)

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
i agree, i just got sucked into an argument with a 'not all genres are equal' person because im an idiot.

However I will add that yes... I definitely agree it has to take more imagination to invent a universe than to write film set in the real world - but I think it takes more research to write a good crime film. Which I think is something I really respect. Especially researching a period for a period piece and walking the tightrope between making it accessible to modern viewers and staying true to the subject matter (making 1800s dialogue sound interesting/relatable yet still authentic must be really hard)

George Lucas can just jot down whatever comes into his head onto the paper and he's called a genius (joking)
i don't disagree with what it takes to write a period piece. my argument is genres are horizontal, not vertical. genre is no indicator of or impediment to quality.

mr_mister

It's more I just dislike 1-2 of the 100+ genres out there, not that I'm arguing Scorsese is god or blockbusters are for casuals or something though

The reason I have so much dislike is due to the volume of superhero films released at the moment. It's a monopoly

honestbharani

The problem today is we are going away more and more from the well "researched" aspect on any of these movies and more into "this is my opinion, and I will shove it down your throats" in many movies. Much like a lot of social media (and internet forums) creates ego massaging echo chamber, so have movies today. I mean, I honestly think there are many CBMs that are researched better than many of the historical, social and political commentary type movies you see these days. We live in a generation where looking up the relevant wikipedia page = knowledge in most peoples' eyes.

stephen

I find it funny that everyone in Downton Abbey is not homophobic and generally support Mary's interracial relationship as well, despite the stigmas of those types of relationships in the time it was set. And they're all conservatives as well which the show is happy to keep pointing out.

grecian

I find it funny that everyone in Downton Abbey is not homophobic and generally support Mary's interracial relationship as well, despite the stigmas of those types of relationships in the time it was set. And they're all conservatives as well which the show is happy to keep pointing out.
It is the writers fantasy, that being jolly conservative at the the time wasn't to be racist or homophopic, the writer is very Conservative, so wants to parlance it that way.

CricAddict

The Wrong Missy. Watched the movie on a friend's recommendation yesterday and liked it. But it has very poor ratings in IMDB. Can understand as the antics are a bit silly and can frustrate a few. But it is for those who love antics.