• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quick poll - participation appreciated

I try too hard in life to impress others?

• Yes, I do.

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • No, I don't.

Votes: 17 45.9%

• Total voters

Manee

Hi,

Got a quick poll up. Would appreciate voting Yes or No. I'm not hoping to stimulate a discussion, I'm just interested in the results for a reason which is pretty uninteresting. Please do not look at the results before voting.

Q. I try too hard in life to impress others.

Thank you.

Manraj.

EDIT: Don't read much into what 'too hard' means, it isn't the point of the poll.

Last edited:

Manee

Answer would've been different 15 years ago
Wasn't the point of the thread to decide things like this but am interested anyway to know what you think the consensus will be now, what you think it would be then and why.

Well surely everyone tries as hard as they think is necessary?
Not necessarily. Some have a short term compulsion to do more than they feel upon long term reflection is required.

BTW, current results are not what I expected. Though the CW community may be an anomaly in that regard.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Wasn't the point of the thread to decide things like this but am interested anyway to know what you think the consensus will be now, what you think it would be then and why.
On reflection that wasn't very well expressed - I said no, but 15 years would have said yes, because I was a nice bloke then trying to make my way in the world - I'm a cynical old **** these days

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It would have been interesting to know how different the results to this poll would've been if it was public, for reasons NUFAN kind of touched on.

HeathDavisSpeed

I tried to vote and it crashed my browser. For a while, I thought Manee had set it up to crash browsers in order to look cooler.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Voted no. I do have a cloying need to be liked*, which I consider one of my biggest character flaws (and it faces some effing stiff competition too), but I'm generally more likely to have to reign myself in rather than actively trying to impress people as I come across as a smug know-it-all without too much effort.

*Except for by the very few people I think are ****s.

Red Hill

The artist formerly known as Monk
When I was younger I tried to be everything to everyone, and I was pretty charismatic as well.

As I got older (married, had kids etc) I realized I cared a lot about impressing people when it didn't really matter. Now I focus on a couple of particular things I am really good at, and forget the rest. Happier now too.

Manee

I honestly thought the majority would answer 'yes'. I just the phrasing was something that everyone thought they did.

wellAlbidarned

It comes and goes in cycles, though what I generally find is that people aren't impressed by someone who looks like they're actively trying hard to impress others. Kick back, do your own thing, be nice to people and you'll impress the people who matter without trying. That's ideal anyway, I suck at following my own advice.

Manee

So yeah, I did this poll because I started doing some reading into TMS which is the view of Dr John Sarno that a lot of pain is the body's way of diverting attention from emotional pain. Sounds a bit rubbish until you read more and see that he has helped a lot of people. Was just checking with an arbitrary selection of one of his personality criteria that he wasn't just saying things which apply to everyone.

The back pain that I've had since February 2011 has pretty much disappeared now that I realized it was a case of TMS and I am indebted to him for that.

benchmark00

Listening to Test Match Sofa makes other parts of you hurt instead of just your back? Not surprising imo.