• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round 16 and Beyond

TT Boy

BoyBrumby said:
Oh, it was awful, the worst I've seen, but Germany &, indeed, Italy themselves were far better than the current Italian team. Our chaps might've even given them a game, for that matter. :D
What the Italian team of 2002? Also the Germany team for the WC final in 2002 would not have a pray tonight. No Ballack and the best player after him was the GK.

Also are team could hardly give Ecuador a decent game of football, so I seriously doubt the latter.

TT Boy

FaaipDeOiad said:
Fair enough that you don't deserve to win if you can't score the winning goal, but you certainly don't deserve to lose on a toss of the coin.
They didn’t though. If you have the necessary bottle and ability you will always triumph in penalties, as Jimmy Frith one my ex coaches at West Ham’s under 17 always said.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Jungle Jumbo said:
The antics of the Italians after winning and before picking up the Cup were shocking, and disgusting. The World Cup should be treated with respect, not devalued.

If I was the manager, I would order:

1. No hats/scarves/flags when lifting Cup. Match kit only.
2. No kids up there. Didn't happen thistime, but one of my pet hates.
3. No touching Cup before the captain has lifted it.

/My ultra-conservative rant of the day over.
You're gonna be intolerable by the time you're 60.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
What was said...?

Materazzi What's it like to be marked out of the game by an Everton reject?

Or...

Materazzi Hey Zizou, this game's getting a bit boring. What do you think we could do to liven it up a bit?
Zidane (following a typical Gallic shrug of the shoulders) I dunno, Marco.
Materazzi Why don't we try re-enacting a kids story. What about The Three Billy Goats Gruff? I could live up to my reputation as the troll...
Zidane (headbutts Materazzi) And I could be the big goat who knocks the troll over the bridge...

TT Boy

What sort of punishment is Zidane looking at? obviously he has now retired from football but lets not forget Big Duncan Ferguson was sent to prison for three months for his head-butt in the mid 90’s. Visibly Ferguson caught his man beautifully but lets not overlook Zidane has done this sort of **** before.

Last edited:

superkingdave

Well im pretty sure the reason for the headbut will come out in the wash as well and im not sure it will reflect well on Materrazzi. I reckon there's got to be some pretty nasty verbals there (this does not excuse Zidanes disgraceful headbutt)

TT Boy

superkingdave said:
Well im pretty sure the reason for the headbut will come out in the wash as well and im not sure it will reflect well on Materrazzi. I reckon there's got to be some pretty nasty verbals there (this does not excuse Zidanes disgraceful headbutt)
For sure, Marco has been known to use the odd racial slur now and again. I believe he had some choice words with Craig Bellamy a couple of years ago before Craig smacked him one round the face.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
yeah in fairness figo probs woulnt have the tenacity to deliver such a knockout headbutt like that.

Dasa

TT Boy said:
For sure, Marco has been known to use the odd racial slur now and again. I believe he had some choice words with Craig Bellamy a couple of years ago before Craig smacked him one round the face.
Apparently some French players have said that there was some racial stuff said...if true, it makes the action a bit more understandable, though not excusable.

Buddhmaster

Jungle Jumbo said:
The antics of the Italians after winning and before picking up the Cup were shocking, and disgusting. The World Cup should be treated with respect, not devalued.

If I was the manager, I would order:

1. No hats/scarves/flags when lifting Cup. Match kit only.
2. No kids up there. Didn't happen thistime, but one of my pet hates.
3. No touching Cup before the captain has lifted it.

/My ultra-conservative rant of the day over.
Hmmmm

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dasa said:
Apparently some French players have said that there was some racial stuff said...if true, it makes the action a bit more understandable, though not excusable.
What I don't get is how 5 seconds before it there's a smile and a sort of hand shake equivalent.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Zidane's headbutt was one of the craziest things I've ever seen. Unbelievable way to end a magnificent career.

TT Boy

marc71178 said:
What I don't get is how 5 seconds before it there's a smile and a sort of hand shake equivalent.
LOL, Marco has always done the hand shake thing. He did it with Henry all night, foul him, say something than put his hand out to say sorry. Just one of those things he does.