• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shin Splints

Josh

Been diagnosed with these things for the 2nd time in my life, they are a total pain in my... well I was going to say back end, but then realised that - in the literal sense - they are more a pain in the front section of the leg. The tibia, to be precise.

Anyway; was just wondering if any of you lot have had the unfortunate occurance of encountering this dreadful pain and, if so, what did you do to rectify/fix it... other than rest which I really can't do because I'm rather hyperactive and full of energy.

Perm

I've had a fair few friends that have had shin splints, mostly netball players, and they reckon it's agony.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Had the stuff back in 1999/2000 season sort of time. By the sounds of things, wasn't as bad as yours - never really caused me much pain, just stopped me from playing sport.

Only way to get rid of it is to decrease activity. Put as little strain on the tibia as possible.

Craig

World Traveller
I used to run for a bit about 5-8 years ago and I got them a few times and yeah it is hell. You just have to back off activety and hope for the best for a while.

age_master

Unfortunately there is nothing that you can really do about it (im not sure if icing them will do much, though when i get them i do like to elevate my leg for a while). Play through the pain or stop playing.

Last edited:

cpr

This stretch is the one, though it doesn't do much.

Hmm, not a bad exercise, as that highlighted area is the part where i seem to suffer most, some mornings it hurts just to move my ankle, especially if i've been doing exercise the day before

(nb, exercise for me involved walking to the bar)

jammay123

i took up jogging a few weeks ago and have started getting pains which i suspect to be shin splints so i decided to get some rest and stop running on the road and probably sometime next week start running in a park.

Matteh

Hmm, not a bad exercise, as that highlighted area is the part where i seem to suffer most, some mornings it hurts just to move my ankle, especially if i've been doing exercise the day before

(nb, exercise for me involved walking to the bar)
I was under the impression that you shouldn't stretch areas that are in pain.

cpr

I was under the impression that you shouldn't stretch areas that are in pain.
I meant its a good idea for an exercise when i'm not in pain with it to help build the muscles and strengthen them. Think the problem with me is going from years of long distance running to years of drinking and not moving has tended to ruin them a bit. Really think i need a good couple of months of gym work on my legs to gradually build them back up to being able to do decent running again. Looking at my legs, i do still have a fair bit of muscle shape, its just its not been used properly in at least 8 years.

Matteh

Cycling will do that. Has left me in the situation where my legs have great shape but the upper body is still fairly bleh though.

cpr

Cant cycle, hate it, feel so exposed and insecure on a bike. Plus i'm not forking out for a bike.

Matteh

Exercise bike at the gym then i guess. Personally, hate the one we have at home though compared to actually cycling, think it's the being stuck at one intensity rather than having that dictated by the road, however think with a decent one you can actually set routes that'll do that.

cpr

Thinking of taking up swimming as a way of exercise, even though
A) i've always hated it
B) Our local pool is 50/50 balance of Chlorine/Urine

However, its meant to be good for the muscles and a decent stamina exercise. Any thoughts?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swimming FTW, always, IMO - given a decent-quality pool. But TBH if the quality of pool available to you is crap like that it's likely to be counter-productive.

Josh

Been advised by a lot of people down at the Umpire's Association to look at getting orthodics made to insert into my shoes whilst running. Apparently getting the foot to land in a corrected way whereas the weight and force is balanced upon the leg, rather than it forcing stress upon a centralised point (in this case, the tibia). I'm under workcover for it, so this is a viable option.