• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka Thread

Dan

Global Moderator
Phlegm would love that tbf. Wouldn't let his new agribusiness mates forget it.

"Sure Southee and Boult dominated the World Cup, BUT MILNE TOOK 5 IN THE FINAL BITCHEZ"

Maximas

i like charmander but you're not unleashing trent boult here. you're hoping adam milne wins the world cup for you with no practice.

it's malinga and herath you need at full fitness. senanayake and kula both in form would improve your chances exponentially as well. you just have to back proven quality and hope it rediscovers it's class before next weekend.
This is pretty much it, Lakmal for Sena if we really want 3 pacers but yeah

hendrix

We need more agribusiness-esque caricatures.

What's the equivalent for India? Real estate perhaps?

Sri Lanka?

Afghanistan?

Need some input.

Maximas

Well now seems like the appropriate time for reflection with the cup over.

- Jayasuria and his committee must go, selection leading up to and particularly during the world cup was pretty woeful, didn't help that the squad ended up being mortally ravaged by injury but selections such as Tharindu Kaushal while leaving Randiv and dare I say it... Ajantha at home (not to mention Senanayake who was in the squad!!!) were just downright dire.

- This team will obviously miss Sanga and Mahela, but I'm pretty keen to see Chandimal and probably Thirimanne get the chance to bat in their natural positions, a new era starts. Herath, Malinga and even Kula surely won't continue much longer, leaving a younger spinner to come in. The young fast bowling brigade will be left to try and build an attack ready for 2019, led by Lakmal one feels, Eranga, Chameera and a few others to get opportunities, scary but somewhat exciting at the same time.

- This campaign wasn't really a surprise, I'd hoped the fast bowling would click with Kula and Malinga and we'd storm into the final but we just never had a properly functioning team and it was ultimately a very solid top-order that carried us in the group stages and let us down in the QF. The conditions really exacerbated our fast bowling weaknesses

YorksLanka

yeah as you say, scary times ahead but also exciting times. We will get battered by all for a while but I am sure that players like Thirrimanne, Chandimal,. Eranga, Lakmal, Kaushal,Chammera and Satchi plus a few maybe a couple from the A team will come good and form the core around Mathews, who will finally get his "own" team now..DIlly will still be around for a while too. My main concern is for us to find and develop a decent fast bowling all rounder..No matter what, if the players still give 100%, they will get support from real fans throughout the storm.
I fully agree that Jayasuriya and his panel have been woeful and must go. He has been far to political and should keep it out of our game IMO..

viriya

Not sure if this was brought up before, but quite an amazing piece by Andrew Fernando on the '96 WC run:
Feature | The lion's fairy tale | The Cricket Monthly | ESPN Cricinfo

Definitely worth the read. One hilarious snippet:

The only Sri Lankan who cracked that night was the 12th man. "If I was ever under stress in my life, it was running the drinks in the final," Pushpakumara remembers. "When the water break was coming up, the dressing room was bombarding me with messages to deliver. 'Tell Aravinda this' and 'Make sure Gura doesn't go after the fast bowlers.'

"As I descended the steps, Dav was standing there. He gave me a long, elaborate message as well, but I didn't speak English well at the time. I had no idea what he said. In the end I said, 'Okay Davvy,' and headed out. "When I got to Aravinda and Gura, I completely choked. There was so much going through my mind, but all I could say was, 'Well played, aiya' or something like that. I got back and everyone took turns asking if I had delivered their messages. Of course I told each one that I had. Dav came and asked me too - I didn't understand, but from the way he was speaking, I could tell he was asking about the message. I told him, 'Yes'. The others all believed that I had delivered the messages, but Dav was the only one who looked at me like he wasn't so sure."

Dan

Global Moderator
I didn't much like Mendis to begin with, but virya's constant recycling of the same bloody point when we've had the conversation a million times has turned me from simply not rating him to having a Vijay-esque hatred of him.

WW has done much the same thing with any West Indian prospect.