• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Smith

StephenZA

I have extreme doubts that someone with Asperger's would have that good of a hand-eye co-ordination anyway.
This is not the place for it; but people on the low end of the autism spectrum disorder (Aspergers) can have excellent motor skills and concentration. It is largely a social disorder with some compulsive tendencies.

But I agree this is not something that should be diagnosed from an armchair... even if done as best of intentions, with affection.

SteveNZ

While I agree with the general sentiment of this post, I disagree fairly strongly with this. Smith was the ****ing captain, he obviously has the necessary authority and clout to put a stop to it immediately. Turning a blind eye to Warner's ****-wittery was implicitly supporting cheating, and I'm not sure how you can construe it otherwise.

Still doesn't make the crowds any less of a bunch of dickheads in this series, especially as Smith should never have copped anything more serious than maybe a 5 match ban in the first place.
Hmmm, it may support cheating, or it may even advocate cheating if you want to take it that far...but it isn't cheating. Steve Smith is not a cheat. He would never have dreamed of conducting anything like that, he loves the game far too much. He was simply not strong enough as a captain. Others have said it, and I agree, that the hyper-aggressive Australian way of playing cricket - perpetuated under Lehmann - paved the way for what happened. And Steve Smith partly suffered from that (he didn't create that culture) and also failed to be brave enough in his role to put a stop to it. I don't think for a second he said 'yeah, let's do this - let's openly cheat and bugger the consequences'. I would imagine he probably wrestled with it in his own mind and didn't have the stones to say no, this is crap. Obviously the hostile environment in SA and the fact they were losing played their part as well. It was an error I think most of us could have made, even the most honourable of us. And yeah, anything more than a one series ban was excessive, although losing the captaincy was fair enough.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think the general consensus from the investigation and Lemon's book was that he saw Warner and Bancroft discussing something surreptitiously, said "what are you blokes up to?", then when told of the plan basically went "don't be stupid" and walked off. The implication being that he didn't think they were being serious.

Daemon

I think the general consensus from the investigation and Lemon's book was that he saw Warner and Bancroft discussing something surreptitiously, said "what are you blokes up to?", then when told of the plan basically went "don't be stupid" and walked off. The implication being that he didn't think they were being serious.
Impossible to know whether he didn't think they were being serious or just didn't want to know about any funny business going on.

I would like to assume he didn't think they'd be stupid enough to bring sandpaper out onto the field though. Maybe just a bit of accidental roughing up or nail scratching etc.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He was happy enough to let Warner add things to the strapping on his hands to "accelerate the deterioration" though, as noted in Alastair Cook's new book.

Spark

Global Moderator
He was happy enough to let Warner add things to the strapping on his hands to "accelerate the deterioration" though, as noted in Alastair Cook's new book.
Yeah that's consistent with what I've heard too. It seems like he sort of let Warner do whatever he liked, rather than being an actual captain and imposing some basic standards on his fellow senior players.

Impossible to know whether he didn't think they were being serious or just didn't want to know about any funny business going on.

I would like to assume he didn't think they'd be stupid enough to bring sandpaper out onto the field though. Maybe just a bit of accidental roughing up or nail scratching etc.
Right, that's why leaders are supposed to not leave any room for such ambiguity.

Last edited:

Coronis

Smith now up to 937 again on the batting ratings. Can see him equalling or surpassing his 947 in the next test the way he's batting.

GotSpin

That’s basically what I understood from my close sources

Daemon

Lol at the claim that the spectacles were to pay tribute to Chris Rogers. Just own it. Not like it was a big deal making fun of that Leach re-enactment anyways.

SteveNZ

Lol at the claim that the spectacles were to pay tribute to Chris Rogers. Just own it. Not like it was a big deal making fun of that Leach re-enactment anyways.
I'm humoured about the amount of bloody coverage this crap has gathered, for so many reasons.

a) both Archer and Leach took the P out of Smith before this Test, did they not? Aren't we all allowed to have a bit of fun?
b) they were on the ink after an Ashes series victory. Do we really need to analyse what goes on after a couple of beers?
c) why are cameras in that environment anyway? Winning changing rooms and group celebrations like that should be off limits. Next there'll be an article about how Steve Smith left the toilet seat down at Lord's, got spray on it and didn't wipe it off. I cringe at the amount of intrusiveness from the media nowadays. League (the NRL) is even worse - media agencies send dedicated teams to end-of-season parties in the expressed hope of catching them in the 'act', and even creating an act sometimes if one is not unfolding.

Burgey

Unfortunately they just can't accept that he's a lot too good for them. That goes for their players as well as their tissue-thin skinned supporters. Hilarious they boo him all summer as he singlehandedly destroys their team and casts their world cup winning tie into the background, yet they still have a crack at him. Still, if it motivates him for tonight, then well done them.

Spark

Global Moderator
Winning changing rooms and group celebrations like that should be off limits.
This this this. I absolutely hate this modern trend of TV cameras going into winning dressing rooms.

OverratedSanity

This this this. I absolutely hate this modern trend of TV cameras going into winning dressing rooms.
It wasnt in the dressing room tbf, he was mocking leach when they were celebrating on the ground.

And it's totally fine.In fact not only is it fine, it's funny and great and I hope more players do it. PC gone mad I tell you. Highly competitive sportsman takes the piss out of soundly beaten opponent, more at 9.

TheJediBrah

It wasnt in the dressing room tbf, he was mocking leach when they were celebrating on the ground.

And it's totally fine.In fact not only is it fine, it's funny and great and I hope more players do it. PC gone mad I tell you. Highly competitive sportsman takes the piss out of soundly beaten opponent, more at 9.
Even more so in that it was a reaction to Leach doing something similar (though less dickheadishly) the previous game