• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stories

grecian

I was watching a brilliant documentary on the great Terry Pratchett, the other week, and it reminded me of his greatness, It's well worth a watch, but not what this thread is about.

One of his genius premises was always how people want to believe in great stories or narratives, and they love to twist almost anything into this, no matter how true it maybe.

Sport is huge for this (which is ironic as Terry didn't really like sport) I was enjoying GIMPs tweets about Lincoln being scum yesterday, whilst everyone else was wanking themselves off over the story of "giantkilling" which is of course a staple of childrens stories. It's something that used to annoy the hell out of me too, particularly the original Wimbledon bullied their way to a Cup win John Beck's horrific Cambridge side did some great cup runs. Yet what's the point, in the end you go with it.

Gimp and I both bought in to the Leicester City hype, yet we know it started rather ignobly with the ex-managers son involved in racially abusing someone during an orgy (team-bonding there). Jamie Vardy, the hero of the thing, who truly went from non-league to glory Cinderella-like also said some very iffy things in his time. Yet did we care last year, did we **** it was the "story" it was something that we could grasp hold of in an increasing world of big bucks and seemingly a disconnect between the big clubs and little with massive overseas investment, and corporate bollocks, we also ignored that LCFC also have forn ownership and called their ground Walkers then KingPower.

The Williams sisters in tennis, people want to believe they came from the mean streets of Comptin to rule the stuffy World of tennis, again a stretch. I admire both immensely, but in the end Richard Williams has said he moved them to Compton to basically give them a tough upbringing, whilst he was relatively wealthy. Quite odd, but it worked, it has to be said, but not quite the ghetto children that some might say. Being middle-class in the USA probably bits you in the top .5% of the world, no matter the area. Most of the Eastern europeans she beats, particularly some of the Serbs, Ivanovic for instance, had a much worse childhood. Yet,to be fair, who cares in a way, if Serena and Venus can motivate people from those areas it's a decent thing.

I'm trying to keep from politics really, but it's hard not to wonder how odd that Brexit and Trump is seen as some kind of anti-establishment grab for the "real working man" when it just seems the most elitist types run both forces. It's a story that many of both supporters run with, and it's just so ****ing bizarre to me.

I think one of the more amazing "cinderella" stories, that was twisted so out of context though was the one of the late Jade Goody. For those that don't know it, she was a reality TV personality, who reached a ridiculous level of fame for about 8 years in this country. Now I'll admit at the time I became a bit obsessed with Big Brother 3, it had live coverage, it was vicious cruel and seemed frseh and unlike anything I'd seen, Jade was the break-out star, but she actually only finished 4th behind people no-one would have heard of. This was mainly because 80% of the people like me, who watched the show avidly, hated her guts, the other 20 adored her though. She was a vicious nasty bully, who prided herself in her own stupidity, yet for many people, who only casually watched i, or didn't at all, she just seemed a lovable thickie. So when the newspapers went to town on her, calling her a pig and the most hated woman in Britain, it all switched round. People that hadn't watched the show thought she was being bullied, rather than the bully which she was. Oh and the editors realised it, so we got her looking bullied in the House, whilst it was just a reaction to her shouting in peoples face for 5 weeks.

It became the biggest "cinderella" story in history and everyone else became the ugly sisters. The Press fell over themselves to trumpet her "the real winner", and it just wouldn't stop, every time she got in trouble afterwards, many times they'd make excuses. There was a brilliant time when she was arrested by the police for assaulting her boyfriend, and they made a skit over it in the Press, about how she went for a knife in the knife-draw, but she came out with a spatula. Hilarious, I would say to people, yeah, but she went for a knofe presumably to kill or maim. they'd reply "but she came out with a spatula. she's hilartious". She ran the marathon once, she did no fund-raising, had been giving a charity's precious berth( which they pay for), also her management gave her a personal trainer to work with, she failed because she didn't train. She then went on Jonathon Ross to say she didn't know how long a mile was, people fell about laughing. She made an indecent amount of moneyfrom fitness vids and diets, turned out she'd had lipo, no-one cared, good ol' Jade.

Now all this sounds a bit of a rant, but what makes the story utterly tragic is that after an unsuccesful second stint in the Big Brother House (where she acted pretty similarly to the first but this time got called on it "classic Tall Poppy Story"), she got cancer and died, now the point of this is that at times stories cannot carry on being the same because life intervenes drastically, or death in this case. I put in all the first stuff because it's how I raged at the time, but in the end it seems petty with her leaving two children behind and dying before she hit 30. It became the "tragic heroine" story, and the press went to Town on that.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can think of other stories that have been shoe-horned into a familiar plot,(sporting, personal, World of Politics) because it's something that interests me inordinately. "the wronged women" might be a big one.

Last edited:

AndyZaltzHair

Bermuda Triangle? There are many stories floating concerning disappearance of ships, aircraft etc in bermuda triangle. Think some are blown out of proportion.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Steven Smith has somehow been branded as the archetypal "Aussie battler" (cf his given CW nom de guerre) despite having both a British passport and "Devereux" as one of his middle names.

Shri

The best story of them all: Why the brown people are bad for having oil and why we kill them for terrorism.

grecian

Hey link to the Pratchett documentary, please.
It's this one, not sure if you can get it out of this Brexitnighted country, yet it's called "Back in Black", I wasn't going to watch it as I couldn't really understand the casting of Paul Kaye, and TBH the story was always going to have a depressing ending, but it was genuinely good. I still love Tom Paulin though.

indiaholic

Somebody uploaded it to youtube! Thanks! Yep Paul Kaye does seem like a weird choice.. No idea who Tom Paulin is though.. Just know him from that quote about chapters lol.

grecian

Somebody uploaded it to youtube! Thanks! Yep Paul Kaye does seem like a weird choice.. No idea who Tom Paulin is though.. Just know him from that quote about chapters lol.
The bit when Neil Gamian cried was really breathtaking, you felt the love and loss, and everyone, obviously should read "good Omens", my fave book of all time, and one that you can get into if you don't buy the whole discworld thing.

Tom Paulin was on a show called "Late Review" on BBC2 late at night on Thursdays and he was famously dismissive of anything modern in a really scabrous way, I think Terry must have seen the humour, because he did put the quotes in his books. Yet he actually did say some mildly nice things in that review too, which was unlike him, calling Terry a "rank amateur" was mild for Tom. Oddly the two that used to be reviewers with him, and were more reasonable, Alison Pearson and Tony Parsons now just write hate-filled stuff for the worst tabloids, but TBH I think that's the only way to make money on UK Journalism nowadays.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have to say I thought Kaye absolutely nailed Sir Terry.

Wouldn't have been my first casting choice (Gary Oldman or Michael Sheen, maybe?), but it's pretty uncanny.

grecian

Have to say I thought Kaye absolutely nailed Sir Terry.

Wouldn't have been my first casting choice (Gary Oldman or Michael Sheen, maybe?), but it's pretty uncanny.
Oh yeah, if I didn't make myself clear, he was brilliant despite my misgivings. a long way from Dennis Pennis.

Never really thought of who would play him, Ian Hart maybe with a grey beard? Or that maybe just coz he likes hats.

indiaholic

The bit when Neil Gamian cried was really breathtaking, you felt the love and loss, and everyone, obviously should read "good Omens", my fave book of all time, and one that you can get into if you don't buy the whole discworld thing.

Tom Paulin was on a show called "Late Review" on BBC2 late at night on Thursdays and he was famously dismissive of anything modern in a really scabrous way, I think Terry must have seen the humour, because he did put the quotes in his books. Yet he actually did say some mildly nice things in that review too, which was unlike him, calling Terry a "rank amateur" was mild for Tom. Oddly the two that used to be reviewers with him, and were more reasonable, Alison Pearson and Tony Parsons now just write hate-filled stuff for the worst tabloids, but TBH I think that's the only way to make money on UK Journalism nowadays.
Just finished watching it. ****ing perfect. Won't lie, I teared up a bit.

Have read all the Discworld books: the Granny and Watch books multiple times but never read Good Omens. Will get it before this weekend.

MW1304

Kaye is vastly underrated, has transitioned into a great character actor in the last few years. Look forward to watching this.

Uppercut

Great thread. Usually when people talk about this they use the sickeningly pretentious 'narrative' instead of 'story'.

I was just reading The Sympathiser, which Ms. UC got me because she knows I love stories about the power of stories. There's a scene where the (fictional) narrator recalls interrogating someone who ran away from home to join the Vietcong. What eventually got him to co-operate was threatening to spread the story that the real reason that he ran away was to join his homosexual lover. His frustration must have been the same frustration grecian felt when everyone believed a story in which Lincoln are the heroes.

Ausage

My wife and I met a woman through a dog club recently. She'd been born into money and her husband earns an absurd amount in some form of trading role while she works part time as a teacher. They own a house in an extremely affluent part of Sydney. She's in her late 20s, fit, good looking with a sparkling personality. About as close to a dream life as you can get. At probably our third or fourth meeting we found out her husband has some form of cancer. They've been in and out of hospital over the past few years, he's still going but the prognosis isn't great. We'd spoken a few times how lucky they were to be in such a financial position, but the reality is that they'd probably trade it all for what we have, relatively modest financial means but a mostly healthy existence.

I like this thread. I helps to remember the stories you want to see in a situation often bear little to no relation to reality.

Last edited:

social

My old man was in WW2, thankfully survived but never really told anybody about it - part legal issues, part obligation but also because he probably lived with PTSD for nearly 70 years

Anyway, towards the end he said to me that people may say things about me now but it's all crap

"The truth is that I was drafted, the country was under attack, I agreed to join the unit because they paid me more & Mum (my grandmother) needed the money and I was petrified the whole time."

Me: "So Dad, you're telling me that you weren't Rambo."

"The Rambos I knew got themselves and everybody else killed."

Last edited:

grecian

Good contributions, oh and it's GIMP frustrated by Lincoln not me, I know little about them. I did use the word Narrative a couple of times, mainly because I got bored with saying "stories", but yeah it's becoming one of those irritating buzzwords, that as I say in the other thread I'm trying to avoid.

Ahh Wars Social, I'm guessing that would be an huge mine for this, we really only hear about the heroes but 99% of people would have been like your dad I'm guessing.

My Uncle was similar, he was a POW in Germany, so was often asked did he try to escape like in the Films. He used to say "**** off, we were getting three squares a day, not getting shot at, and warm digs" He reckoned it was only the ****ing officers that wanted to escape, if he'd seen an open gate with no guards around he'd have walked past.

In the end he was pissed off when the war was ending, because he was made to go on "The Long March", which ended his cushty days.

social

Good contributions, oh and it's GIMP frustrated by Lincoln not me, I know little about them. I did use the word Narrative a couple of times, mainly because I got bored with saying "stories", but yeah it's becoming one of those irritating buzzwords, that as I say in the other thread I'm trying to avoid.

Ahh Wars Social, I'm guessing that would be an huge mine for this, we really only hear about the heroes but 99% of people would have been like your dad I'm guessing.

My Uncle was similar, he was a POW in Germany, so was often asked did he try to escape like in the Films. He used to say "**** off, we were getting three squares a day, not getting shot at, and warm digs" He reckoned it was only the ****ing officers that wanted to escape, if he'd seen an open gate with no guards around he'd have walked past.

In the end he was pissed off when the war was ending, because he was made to go on "The Long March", which ended his cushty days.
POWs are unsung heroes.

Australia fought against the Japanese who were absolutely ruthless and 30% didn't survive the war due to mistreatment in camps

At the end of the war, 15000 were transferred to hospitals for treatment in places like Singapore because the Australian government didnt want their loved ones back home to see them in their current state

****ing horrible

Until right at the end when his mind was wandering due to the drugs, the only stories he told me were ones that he found humorous.

For example, first time he went on a plane, he had to jump out of it 30 miles behind enemy lines.

"You'll see the world, they said" :laugh:

grecian

Think it's safe to say allied POW's had a very different experience in Europe rather than the Pacific.

There was an episode of "Life on Mars" that showed the shame of someone who couldn't adequately answer "what did you do in the WAr" it did remind me that in my youth an awful lot of males were judged on this. Sure there were many that just Bull-shitted it.

One of my grandads was supposedly at Dunkirk, big deal as Trump would say I prefer my heroes that didn't run away.a Joke BTW, oh and D-day . The other one as I'm fond of saying died from WW1 from Mushroom gas, he lived to sire my father a decade later yet his lungs packed up soon after, and there are rumours he fled Ireland to get away from Republicans as he was on the other side, not sure which one. I'll guess we'll never know the truth, it is hard not to think the generations before us led a somewhat heightened story, even if they were passive in it.

Last edited: