• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

ImpatientLime

of course not and i never suggested he was

you can be good without being in the top tier. as someone who follows england i know that better than most. this country ain't produced a legit atg since botham.

this country excels at good but not great in the past 40 years

Last edited:

trundler

Stewart and Trescothick would've prospered in this era with their talent I think. Tresco vs Roy is still close imo. England didn't take ODIs seriously until the recent turnaround, did they?

Last edited:

honestbharani

On the top of Bevan, Slater played a few games in Titan Cup in India as a #6 and did very well. Rescued a rough start in partnership with Bevan (who was batting at 4) and then played a great finisher's knock in this game. Australia lost by 5 runs with 5 balls remaining (funny how the can bat gang of Hogg and Reiffel flopped there) but if Slater had got them home that game, do the Aussie posters here think he might have had a future as a #6? He had the shots and the power and timing for the slog, ran as well (if not better) than Bevan and seemed to bring great energy to the game.

Red Hill

The artist formerly known as Monk
Trescothick was the one I probably pondered over the most. Still not convinced about Roy, but he can really do some damage at times.

Tbh I somehow completely forgot Eion Morgan. I guess he could replace KP.

What would the general consensus on CW be regarding:

- Pick 2 openers from Trescothick, Bairstow and Roy?

- KP or Morgan in the middle order?

- Also, Botham's selection and the pace bowlers?

Having Botham, Flintoff and Stokes gives you a lot of all round to mess with.

Flem274*

123/5
if i had to select for a real atg wc i would be extremely dubious about offering the pair up to atg attacks even on motorways. especially roy. this isn't me having a wind up, if i were their selector id be a bit nervous.

harsh.ag

If both Flintoff and Stokes have to play, then:

Tresco
Root
KP
Morgan
Flintoff
Stokes
Buttler
Botham
Woakes
Swann
Gough

trundler

As Flintoff needs time to get going so he can't bat lower than 5. Morgan and Buttler can each score a 100 after coming in around the 30th over mark so that settles the hitter roles.

Now because Flintoff is playing for a batsman you'd 4 other bowlers. Buttler is therefore at 7. Morgan would be at 4/5. That leaves #6 and a middle order position.

Tresco/Roy
Bairstow
Root
Morgan
Flintoff
Stokes
Buttler
Botham
Woakes
Swann
Gough

KP's SR for the era is pretty good so it's close between him and Morgan still. Lamb might be England's 2nd or 3rd best middle order batsman but it's hard to fit him in with Root and Flintoff being anchors already.

a massive zebra

Very surprised about the apparent consensus in favour of Woakes over Willis. With all the other all rounders in the side, this team already has more than enough batting depth and Willis would add some real potency to the attack. Without him, the bowling lineup looks pretty meh in comparison to a lot of other countries ATXIs.

trundler

I just went with full meme bat deep. Willis probably should be there. Botham Vs Woakes is close imo. Most of that probably has to do with Botham playing more in his decline admittedly.

trundler

He was a pretty good hitter. His bowling was famous for getting wickets with pies. It's weird how the #8 is going to be the 5th bowler in that lineup.

honestbharani

All I remember of Beefy is him opening the batting and doing very little in the 1992 WC. Don't think he was bowling that much then either. But amazing England were also onto the pinch-hitting opener at the same time as NZ but we only remember the genius of Crowe. No one cares if Gooch was any good. :laugh: